selenium coax speaker question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the long awaited 15's arrived this morning. And surprise, surprise they have a different appearance. As you can see by this pics, the cones are a different colour.

Attachments

• img_4518.jpg
    img_4518.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 506
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
Well, the long awaited 15's arrived this morning. And surprise, surprise they have a different appearance. As you can see by this pics, the cones are a different colour.

Nice tablecloth...

I'd at least contact the vendor... you did order a "Pair". Have the dat codes handy (ie if you can get another with a date code close (same is the best close) to one you have they are likely to be MUCH closer in performance.

dave

they are nice looking coax's :D they look very different to what is pictured on the net.

i been looking around on rear loaded horns. the ones that got my attention were these, for the fostex speakers
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i downloaded the hornresp program, but i have no idea what to do no it!!?!?!?!?

lol might get someone to help me design rear horn for the coax's

anyone here able to push me the right way? i know my mate uses hornresp, but he isnt on the internet anymore, so i cant exactly get his help.

The 15C01P's semi-high Qes means a huge horn even with a relatively high Fc since you have to start with a relatively large filter chamber and a throat >Sd, so I recommend a max flat ML-TL if you have room for a pair of ~25ft^3 cabs tuned to ~29Hz, or a ~11.16ft^3 reduced Vb version if not. If this is still too big, then even a sealed cab is going to be close to 8ft^3.

GM

After listening to them again, I am able to detect a slight difference in the high end and as you might expect it is the see through cap that has the better highs. No return phone call from PE as promised.

Cal

Edit: I have called again and got a fellow who seems a little more interested in my plight. He is going to try and track down a single somewhere and will let me know in a day or so. Will keep you posted on the progress.

Jensen Imperial

I am in the process of building these exact speakers. I was going to use three separate drivers but have switched to turning the unit upside down and using a Radian 15 inch coax. this driver just about makes it spec wise (low QTS and highish fs). Flipping these giants was common practice, even for Jensen. they actually suggested coaxes for this cab. If you want full plans on the cheap go to www.highefficiencyloudspeakers.com. They sell a great set of plans for 20 bucks delivered. they go into great detail and even show the cut layout on the ply sheets. If you want Selenium products he is the cheapest around. The guys name is Ron Shaw. he is very good to deal with. he also sells a dynamite and cheap electronic crossover for biamping. I have built a lot of speakers but this one has been the most demanding and I am no where near done. believe it or not but you can still get the grill clothes that were used back then (at least color wise).

I'm seeing the name Radian and the name Selenium used in this thread as though they are referring to the very same coaxial driver. I thought these were two different companies. Can someone clear up my confusion on this issue? Thanx.

BTW, the link to highefficiencyloudspeakers.com posted above is not working for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.