Selectronic Rcore Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as I understand it, if made correctly they are completely symmetrical, meaning they should not behave any differently connected one way or the other. transformers themselves do not have polarity as such. I understand it the main difference with other types is that as they are not symmetrical, they will have more leakage wired one way or the other and will of course mess with the phase relationship to other transformers or power supplies on the secondary side.

as a result I need to clarify that i'm not recommending that the polarity markings on transformers are of no meaning or consequence, but for RCores, it would seem as long as phase on the secondary side is consistent with what is expected, it really shouldnt matter how they are connected. certainly in isolation it should have no effect whatsoever on the performance of the transformer

as for the butcher, he himself is Spanish, and until a little while ago it is impossible to get properly organic imported cured, perhaps not pasteurized or cooked etc. meats due to health regulations here in Australia. This means if something local can be gotten of high quality, I will choose it every time. it is possible to get now I see some, like some Parma or Serrano Prosciutto, but good imported Chorizo is rare, also I like to support local small organic producers when I can

All due respect to your long lineage of fantastic food, but I would put our local produce up against just about anything in the world these days. We have people from all over the world living in Australia, resulting in a rich cultural diversity; with comparatively clean air and oceans for the most part to provide the ingredients.

short answer, yes =)

Last edited:
Aussie made chorizo. the divine inspiration, we have no claim to…

Attachments

• Aussie chorizo.jpg
    Aussie chorizo.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Jeremy your Aussie "chorizo" really looks impressive give the congratulations to your local Spanish butcher as I can see he has really good organic material that's the first secret for very good food.

About R-Core can be perfectly placebo effect.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you Kevin for creating this new thread based on my unfortunately misplaced post. It was never my intention to do any harm or be inconsiderate in any way.

I understand now that primary connections are not very relevant in the case of R-Cores.

Anyway, just for the sake of knowledge here you have the original selectronic info.

Hi Salas, based on the drawings I connected Rouge + Violet to get 30Vout from a double 15v TX.
I followed Kevin suggestion and followed US colour markings for primary connections.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• R-Core wiring.jpg
    R-Core wiring.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
R-toroidal

No, i don't see the point in R-toroidals for small transformer power supplies.
Maybe if they sold them in ~625VA and up size.
Thinking back on the triode power amps (with toroidal output) at the ETF, R-toroidals (or O-ones) might be interesting as output transformers, but merely speculating there.
Save power amps, i keep power supplies (transformers) separate and at safe distance.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My label has
TRANSFORMATEUR ''R""
50VA
Primaire: 230V Blanc/Noir
Secondaires: 15V Violet/Gris
15V Bleu/Rouge
Ecran electro-statique: Masse Jaune

Yes
My r-cores have exactly the same label as yours, but the copy from selectronic manual states it differently.... Anyway, I just replaced the two nuvotem toroids by the two R-Cores in my personal simplistic build and I can confirm the differences are audible.

There is a wider soundstage and better diferentiation in the bass lines.... much better :)

There is a wider soundstage and better diferentiation in the bass lines.... much better :)

Absolutely agree about the soundstage. Also love the general quietness of the background. Otoh, bass seems a bit lighter in weight and the general sound presentation gentler and calmer than similarly sized toroids.

Only last night cooked lovely mussels with Spanish chorizo - divine :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The grey wires on the top left and top right are the wires of the secondaries.
8 grey ends left, 8 grey wire ends on the right.

Each secondary on a bobbin is made up from 4 parallel windings, one on top of the other.
The wires for the secondaries can be thinner that way, which is easier to wind, and tighter.
For a perfect R-core, one bobbin should be exactly the same as the other one.

The two yellow wire ends between the grey ones on the top are the ends of the primary windings, meeting point is the ground.
:: Shilchar Technologies Limited ::

From Shilchar site I get the idea these are a different kind of r-cores:
"The other unique feature is the use of Bobbins in two parts. The primary winding and secondary winding are done on separate bobbins thus ensuring complete isolation between the two windings. This allows meeting of any safety standards requirement."

Also looking at the drawing here: :: Shilchar Technologies Limited ::
I get the idea that primary is on one side and secondary on the other side.... not very simetrical :cool::confused:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Absolutely agree about the soundstage. Also love the general quietness of the background. Otoh, bass seems a bit lighter in weight and the general sound presentation gentler and calmer than similarly sized toroids.

Only last night cooked lovely mussels with Spanish chorizo - divine :)

I'm surprised that a lot of foreign people loves "chorizo";)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just for completeness here you have before and after:

The difference in soundstage is now amazing....bass is much better diferentiated and there is a sense of ease to the presentation not heard before.... (No placebo Merlin)

Attachments

• DSC_3167 e.jpg
    DSC_3167 e.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC_3178 e.jpg
    DSC_3178 e.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 363
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I'm surprised that a lot of foreign people loves "chorizo";)

I also like Pata Negra :)

I have been is Salamanca three months ago and had the pleasure to taste "real" tapas.... wonderfull stuff...

The only strange thing I found is that everybody likes to eat tortilla at breakfast.... where can I get a good "galão e sandes de queijo com manteiga se faz favor" ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I also like Pata Negra :)

I have been is Salamanca three months ago and had the pleasure to taste "real" tapas.... wonderfull stuff...

The only strange thing I found is that everybody likes to eat tortilla at breakfast.... where can I get a good "galão e sandes de queijo com manteiga se faz favor" ?

That's olny one thing "Pata Negra" but if you want to really taste the best ask for: "Jabugo Cinco Jotas de Bellota" simply the best.

In Salamanca is a small village called "Guijelo" is one of the best "Chorizo", another well known is "Cantimpalo".

In Andalucia 90% of people for breakfast eats toast with butter, all depends the local habits.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
:)

Thank you for the tips... next time I visit salamanca I will search for those spots.

Jabugo is of Huelva (Andalucia), if you visit Salamanca for Jamon ask iberico but I love Guijelo Chorizo that's local speciality;)

Salamanca, hmm I must be having ancestors there.:D

Maybe people of Salamanca have ancestors in Athens;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.