• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SDA-400 Professional multi-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I agree witn Pinnocchio, exist a plastic ring D=22mm,various color that you can use also.
I'm sorry,we use this pcb for sub. just I want realizze this promotional test in a simple way. :)

I see you've changed, you now have a nice bottom .. plate.
can lift 2-4mm the amplifier with the spacers or bolt 3MA, when fixed to the base.
... you will create the ice with this heatsink! :)

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ok, just for you

but doesn't matter, I have to redo it anyway
did not notice that middle pot is lower than middle of XLR (horisontal):clown:

I will mount a jack plug in the place of output XLR
and one RCA next to it

I suppose they may all function as in and out(aux)
and I plan to have hi-z buffered instrument input on the front
for that I may need a switch

Attachments

• IMG_9957.JPG
    IMG_9957.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 351
Hi,
Good in the end to find a simple double panel.
that is intended to use this amp? just my curiosity.

yes, input signal is repeated at output, such as passing through to go to other active sub (in our case this input board).
--------------
in a few moments, I put aluminum parts and the rear panel stereo for two mda-400, as requested by some diy via pm.

regards

Hi,
The rear panel includes a complete anodized frame, screws, etc. to be mounted in a few minutes. CNC machining.
the components on the rear panel, are exactly the ones in the picture.
all signals pass from the cable 10Pin (assembled), so it's plug & play.

Regards

Attachments

• Rear panel-1.jpg
    Rear panel-1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Rear panel-2.jpg
    Rear panel-2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 332
  • Rear panel-3.png
    Rear panel-3.png
    969.1 KB · Views: 157
It is not easy to write a review as I thought... So I will try to make it short and clear and will try to answer all questions.

The MDA400 was compaired with:

1.The resident MUSE power 160
2.GM70 SET amp
3.Primare 30.2(used as integrated and as preamp).

Speakers that were used were:

1.The Magneplanar MG12
2.Zaphaudio ZD5
3.Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Special Edition and tadaaaaa
4.Swans speakers 2.3BF

The Muse is warmer sounding than the MDA400, it has silky smooth top end that reaches higher where the MDA400 is not as extended and a little less resolved. Midrange on the MDA400 is much clearer though, you can understand speach easier and the bass goes lower than the Muse.

The GM70 has a magnificent midrange that is better than the MDA400 by miles but it costs 5000euro just in parts and comapred favorably to amps for 30 000$ so the comparison was not fare at all. Still the MDA had the same tonal balance, just the GM70 is better in quantity, not quality and this is a great compliment!

The MDA400 is more energetic than the Primare, in fact the two sound quite close, the Primare is one of the amps that I have had that sound much more powerfult than it actually is and that is again a compliment for the MDA400 being almost the same. The Primare has wider soundstage, the MDA400 has more depth to the stage, you choose.

No matter what I thought I had heard about the measurements the MDA400 drives all speakers with ease up to levels I tolerate. The 2.3BF is one huge speaker, the MDA400 drive it quite well to high levels, I do not care if it measures well or not if it sounds OK and we had no problems with it. It has one other quality that is important to me - the chameleon like nature of a well balanced design - change the preamp and you have a compeletely new amp, it does respond well to changes in powercords as well.

I prefer the MDA400 on the Maggies and the Muse on the Zaph ZD5 and Dynaudio, I was expecting it to be the other way round but it was a suprise. The Maggies with the MDA400 sound more alive and involving, subjectively they go lower while with the Dynaudio the lower midrange is less pronounced and the sound is on the bright side and I prefer the warmer sound of the Exicon transistors in the Muse. My speakers of choice are the Maggies ;)

All in all the MDA400 was quite a pleasant surprise, now I have my friends buying all kinds of modules in Class D so we can have a competiotion :) .

Congratulations to Roberto for the polished design,at last some good sound from Class D at a good price, had it not been those months of waiting I believe many people would be enjoying a great power amplifier now.

As soon as the financial situation permits I intend to buy the F1s and I will report on them too. If they improve on the MDA400 that might be the power amp future for me.

Thanks, Danny,

I think it is fair to try different configurations before you form an opinion and still there are a bunch of things I plan to do - different cases(that is yet to come), different preamps(I plan to go straight from the DAC to the MDA400 at some point). My system shows diffrences between cables too and that is one thing to try in the end.

IMHO speakers are the weakest link in the audio chain, a well made amp imparts a lesser signature in the end and I tried to listen to the MDA400 through the speakers I know best. I am quite happy with the results, F1 as well as the hypex Ncores are the next steps. I have become addicted to the small form factor and high efficiency of Class D amps, it is all about trade offs and I like where the world is going :)

right now thinking about a direct switch, bypassing input attenuator pot :scratch2:
why? the pot alps i used becouse have perfect at min. & max zero ohm. just this model.

@Nikola:
Thanks for the time you are dedicating, I am happy with this review absolutely natural and I agree with you on audio measurements which unfortunately does not determine whether an amp, has good resolution in the high range, or that character will sound. I decided from the beginning to take care of this right instead of doing the "war" with the measurements.

About F1-F3 & NCore comparison, it may be a hot topic .. :)

Regards

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
btw, I manged to drill a hole, cut thread, and mount a stud mount pin
and cut a slot in a stand mount, for screw driver
(pre drilled holes did not match my heatsink fins)

also cut a hole in back panel for Neutrik mains PowerCon in/out combi

and still just about enough space left for two SpeakON connectors
and also adding a traditional speaker terminal

Attachments

• IMG_9961.JPG
    IMG_9961.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_9985.JPG
    IMG_9985.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 283
btw, I manged to drill a hole, cut thread, and mount a stud mount pin
and cut a slot in a stand mount, for screw driver
(pre drilled holes did not match my heatsink fins)
if you use a common screw to create the thread, you must change the screw shaping as in the picture (or risk a drama)
with a simple file for iron.

Attachments

• Screw.png
    Screw.png
    735 bytes · Views: 270
Dear Roberto,

It was a pleasant surprise to have the MDA400 in my system, it was worth the wait.

I would also add and probably start the fire that the amp had a period of burn in. In my opinion and the opinion of my friends who were there the sound did change in a few days toward the warm, also the amps benefit from a few hours of operation too. Please do not ask me to provide explanation on why that is, it is just my opinion and I will be more than happy to hear what others think about my findings and thoughts.

In conclusion- the MDA400 is a good sounding amp that is care free, has a sound a bit on the bright side but laso very natural balance and very good voice reproduction. It has care free operation and gives the impression of a mature and proven technology, not a DIY affair that just works. For me the last is quite important.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.