Scottmoose and planet10, this is for us - the Calhoun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I fear I have moved too quickly with this project and not put a lot of thought into it. Here's the situation: I have a set of WR's in an excellent cabinet. On their own they sound just great but I am a bit of a basshound so I need a little at the bottom. Along comes the Etremis package. It is supposed to fill in at the bottom. Only problem is it's a 6.5" driver. I'm not sure why I thought that it was up to the task. What the Calhouns need is not the Shadow but a much larger woofer to reinforce the bottom end. The Calhouns are such a good design they only need a small amount of help. I like the idea of a large woofer because 50Hz from a small woofer doth not sound like 50 Hz from a large unit.

Don't get me wrong, the Shadow is an excellent woofer package but it's better suited running a little higher and passing off to a set of satellites at say 100Hz rather than trying to squeeze out the 40-50 Hz that the Shadow is set for now. The extension of both is just wasting the driver(s) capabilities.

I sat there last night and I have to say that about every second song, I turned the woofer off because it was not needed.

Fear not, this slice of humble pie is not a disappointment or a set back. This is an opportunity to explore further. I have a feeling though that after this weekend, the two might not be a set any longer and they will end up in their own systems.

These are my findings to this point, still subject to change.

I think in the meantime I will look at the Foster 10F3's I have gathering dust to go with the Shadow. I think that would make a nice pairing. These drivers have had the planet10 treatment and are ready to go. Perhaps throw an Apex Jr tweeter into the mix.

Tinitus, The Calhouns give me that quick bass. They are quite a driver especially in this box. They really just need something from 50 Hz on down. I have 4 of the Selenium WPU 1507's that I could try but I think I just need help with the bottom octave. Maybe something like a 12" in a sonotube?

Cal -thanks for the valuble feedback. It's always welcome, positive and negative, because we learn from it. Sorry it's not quite worked out as intended. A 12in woofer should do the job nicely, trick is finding one with sufficently low Vas to keep cabinet size reasonable. Not impossible by any stretch of the imagination -I'll look into it. Big driver, narrow passband, low XO point are the requirements as-read.

Just to let you know BTW guys -I'll be a bit sporadic over the next week. Got another paper to complete, a lecture to write (& deliver) and another conference to go to at the end of next week (Cornwall again -twice in as many weeks. My poor wallet.), so my audio-time could be a little restricted.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Scott, could these 10" HIVI be something like it, if they are obtainable

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-430

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-450

Would they be driven by a simple cheap plateamp

BTW, theres a 12" too, looks to be a very nice driver

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-455

in the shadow it could be interesting fore some experiments:cool:

or this one might be a very interesting driver

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-456

Well, according to Planet 10's Geneology work, Calhoun is the result of in-breeding. So, it's only to be expected that he would have some "issues".

edit: sorry, upon re-reading, it is the pet dog Shadow who doesn't play well with his in-bred owner Calhoun.:xeye:

How about the Mivoc drivers?

AWM 104 order no. rm-awm104 EUR 54,00
bass driver with high quality cone.

* power handling (continuous/programme) = 200 / 500 W
* resonance frequency fs = 36 Hz
* impedance R = 4 Ohm
* sound pressure level SPL = 88 dB (2,83V; 1m)
* DC resistance Re = 3 Ohm
* equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 21,8 l
* total Q factor Qts = 0,34 (Qms=4,65, Qes=0,37)
* maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 9 mm

AWM 124 order no. rm-awm124 EUR 74,00
bass driver with high quality cone.

* power handling (continuous/programme) = 220 / 600 W
* resonance frequency fs = 35 Hz
* impedance R = 4 Ohm
* sound pressure level SPL = 90 dB (2,83V; 1m)
* equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 41,2 l
* total Q factor Qts = 0,28 (Qms=4,76, Qes=0,3)
* maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 9 mm

10 and 12 inch respectively and apparently very good.

Cheers Stroop

"Broadside" Scott - aren't you supposed to do something profession related at the moment, instead of being one of the main DIY gurus?:D

And as to the mivoc parameters looking promising: hardly surprising. Michael von Kreitz (sp?) started as a DIYer...he now has his own factory in China, but he won't churn out rubbish the likes of us wouldn't be happy with.

Cheers,
Pit

I leave the guru bit to those deserving of the title -Greg, Dave, Martin, Ron etc. But yes, I should be doing something else at the moment. ;) Still, everyone needs a five minute break every now and then.

Re those Mivoc units, if he's a DIYer I can see why he's come up with something practical. Obviously a bloke with his ear to the ground.

Yup. Several. Our steam-powered fleet submarines were a particularly unfortunate experience. Especially when they forgot to seal the funnels. :rolleyes:

That said, I seem to recall a few ship handling incidents made by your good countrymen also which did tend to indicate they too weren't fit to sail toy ducks in a bath, let alone handle a battleship, Grosser Kurfurst being one of my favourites... ;) :D

Yours in good humour
Scott

For those who want to get freeeeaaaky!

AWX 184 order no. rm-awx184 EUR 147,00
45 cm bass driver with fabric cone. To avoid compression effects the driver possesses a pole piece hole.

* power handling (continuous/programme) = 500 / 1200 W
* resonance frequency fs = 28 Hz
* impedance R = 4 Ohm
* sound pressure level SPL = 98 dB (2,83V; 1m)
* DC resistance Re = 3,2 Ohm
* force factor BL = 18 N/A
* voice coil inductance L = 0,5 mH
* effective piston radiating area Sd = 1188 cm2
* effective mechanical mass incl. air load 203 g
* equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 315 l
* total Q factor Qts = 0,31 (Qms=2,4, Qes=0,36)
* maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 5 mm
* mounting diameter d = 425 mm
* overall diameter d = 463 mm
* mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 227 mm

forgot this one too!

AW 3000 order no. rm-aw3000 EUR 48,00
30 cm bass driver with high quality cone. The basket is made of die-cast.

* power handling (continuous/programme) = 180 / 450 W
* resonance frequency fs = 27 Hz
* impedance R = 4 Ohm
* sound pressure level SPL = 89,6 dB (2,83V; 1m)
* force factor BL = 14,1 N/A
* voice coil inductance L = 1,4 mH
* effective piston radiating area Sd = 507 cm2
* effective mechanical mass incl. air load 129 g
* equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 93 l
* total Q factor Qts = 0,36 (Qms=3,8, Qes=0,4)
* maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 6,3 mm
* mounting diameter d = 284 mm
* overall diameter d = 315 mm
* mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 124 mm

Hey Pit,

I gotta say I love German engineering and manufacturing and happily buy German over much else, (my other love of german photographic equipment!) but it is sooooo expensive! I don't mind paying for everyones pensions but only if I've got enough money to do so!

Asian manufacture just brings that engineering at a lovely price! And the good chinese manufacturers are fantastic!

The Mivoc drivers get good write ups in the German DIY press too.

Alcone driver AC10 SW-4 also comes in an 8ohm version. 8 and 12 inches also. But a bit more pricey, but very good apparently.

Technical Data:
# Resonance frequency: 28 Hz
# Power handling (continuous/programme/peak): 170/340/1100 Watt
# SPL at rated input: 92,33 dB (2,83V; 1m)
# Impedance: 4 Ohm
# DC resistance Re: 3,18 Ohm
# Coil inductance (1kHz): 1,89 mH
# Qts=0,23 (Qes=0,24; Qms=6,52)
# Vas=48 litres

Cheers Stroop

Stroop, all the gang,
without Asian manufacturing we just could not afford our crazy hobby anymore. Our guvmints have "invented" taxes that disallow a working stiff to buy the goods he produces. Mr. Ford decreed that every Ford worker should be able to buy himself a T model - have you looked at the price of a new VW? And, adding insult to injury, "Volkswagen" translates as "Peoples Car".
Stroop, photo stuff...when the Iron Curtain came down I got myself a PentaconSix and four Zeiss lenses - best buy I ever made.

Gang - quite a few dealers in Krautland shpeek ze Eengilshe...cheap shipping might take some time, but I've heard horror stories of alledgetly perfect service within the US of somewhere...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.