Scottmoose and planet10, this is for us - the Calhoun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Single Driver Calhoun?

I've looked at the design posted here.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/calhoun-1v0.pdf

There is a red line which goes horizontally halfway through double mouth BVR cabinet.

If I was to use one FR125S per speaker, could I cut the speaker in half, to have a single mouth BVR (similar to half chang, but as a half calhoun) and stay within the tuning parameters of this design?

Any opinions about pro/cons of doing this? I'd be planning to use these in a small-medium size room.

Thanks,

Cangaceiro

OK thanks Dave.

A few of the designs I have seen for FR125S seem to have cabinets around 10 - 13 litres in bass reflex design.

If I make a half calhoun, then the cabinet volume would be just over 11 litres, which falls within the capacity of these other examples.

I'm wondering if I keep the capacity of the low pass chamber to around 11 litres, but reduce the depth by 5cm and increase the height by 5 cm, will this affect the tuning adversely/significantly.

Basically I have some leaf veneer lying around that is 30.5cm x 2.4m and it would be much easier for me to use a single sheet than have to join two together. But if the tuning is affected adversely, maybe I won't go down this path.

ps. your phase plugs have "smoothed" some of the bite on my FE206E BLHs.

Thanks,

Cangaceiro

Dave, a version for those who are sq m underequipped might be very welcome. Footprint the same, OK, but if a She Whose Words Are Law wants them 1m high max...

cangaceiro, the problem with veneer hereabouts is quantity. You can´t get as little as you want, and buying a complete package for just one pair...:headbash:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kampfhamster (combat hamsters)

uFonkens.jpg

The ones on the right are just across the English Channel...

dave

Pit Hinder - We pay about $30 for pre-glued veneer (305mm x 2400mm). I'm pretty happy with the price as a couple of sheets are usually enough for small bookshelf speakers. I am terrible at joining veneer though, so I prefer to use veneer sheets larger than the surface I want to veneer. Got some nice blackwood veneer last weekend!

Looks like the half calhoun's are out for me. I went around to the father-in-laws place and he's after a pair of small bookshelves to fit in a cabinet he has (he lives in a small apartment). I wanted to make the planet 10 mini onkens, but the space constraints were slightly smaller than this, so I've gone for bass reflex around 11 litres.

I made one to have a quick listen and found that the FR125S still runs out of excursion pretty quick in BR. I had these in BIBs before and so I was familiar with the sound it makes when it does this. Anyway, I stuffed the ports and the box it's helped reduce the excursion quite a bit. I'm even starting to wonder if I shouldn't have gone sealed to start with. Will play around further with it this weekend.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I wanted to make the planet 10 mini onkens, but the space constraints were slightly smaller than this, so I've gone for bass reflex around 11 litres.

I made one to have a quick listen and found that the FR125S still runs out of excursion pretty quick in BR

miniOnken was our very 1st box for FR125. I ended up needing a bit of assistance to push it more towards aperiodic (some open cel foam in the back of the port slots). Our recommendation now is 4.5-7 litre aperiodic

dave

You think if I kept the capacity (11 litre) but went fully stuffed and sealed it would be ok? From what I understand of aperiodic, it simulates similar to a larger sealed Box. So maybe 7 litre aperiodic might be close to 11 sealed? I'm finding the more stuffing I put in, the more the cone excursion is reduced so I cAn crank the volume a little more. The bass is fine even when box is stuffed. In fact I'm finding it a bit exagerated in a small room. Ie too boomy.

When I built the fr125s bibs, I had them in a huge room and the bass was fine with volume down, not boomy at all. I remember some posts by a number of people where it was mentioned how much the room can impact the sound. Now that I've moved house, I'm begnning to understand that much better.

regarding stepped mouths (sachiko, spawn etc)

Hi!

Ive followed this thread with interest, and unfortunately my living conditions in the UK dont allow me to consider the whole horn concept in my living room-it simply isnt large enough!!!

However, on to the question, if i may:

Scottmoose, Dave: as i know you both work together in certain aspects of both of the BVR frugalhorn type designs, this may be more applicable to ask you two.

The LP effect of the 'stepping' of the flare at the mouth...How pronounced is it, in comparison with that of a smoothly contoured flare?

I ask this, as whilst im NOT about to build a horn design (or at least not an expanding one), im intrigued that this method of tapering may be beneficial to other designs topologies....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.