• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

I will get the Kalasan kit back from Madisound. Something went wrong or is broken. David told me that there is not enough bass, even with acoustical instruments.
So sorry guys, there is again a delay.
I will give my best to erode the last doubts.
My sample sounds fine though.

I'm sorry to hear that and I hope it's sorted out!

Joachim, I don't want to be a thread hijacker, but for those who are interested, I’ve finished my “Satori Two – Monitor” design using the 4 Ohm version of the amazing Satori mid-woofer.

Details can be found here:

Satori Two - Monitor Construction Released!
Satori Two – Monitor Design Details

Best regards

/Göran

So you went with the Guru Clone idea.
I also build similar test cabinets and it worked well.
An LR/4 is certainly an option too.
I will measure the Kalasans today.

Yes, I wanted to try out something different and it worked out very well. :)

I'm quite intrigued by the Satori mid-woofer and most likely I will use it and build a completely different design with another design principle and tweeter option as well.

Regards

/Göran

a very inspiring thread.
never cease to amaze me how talented people in this forum are.
i also used sb acoustics drivers in my speaker project(looks horrible compared to what you guys do:rolleyes:) and they are very accurate and have amazing build quality.
the bass response on SB34NRX75 is one of the most precise bass reponses i ever heard.

waiting for updates on the kit also:cool:

As i told you i got the Kalasan back from Madisound. I found that there was a raise in the presence region and the sound was reported rather thin. Very good soundstage and ransparency but simply not fully fleshed out. Well, this will never be a bass monster, no matter what, but it should at least reproduce acoustic bass, guitar, cello, kick drum, etc. rather well.
Instead of analysing what went wrong i decided to design a brand new crossover where i could put in some new good things that i think are beneficial.
One thing right at the beginning that is very important because it created some confusion before : THE KALASAN USES THE 8 OHM VERSION OF THE SATORI WOOFER AND THE TWEETER IS REVERED IN PHASE.

Last edited:
So here we go :
First i decided to equalize the impedance peak at the fundamental resonance of the tweeter. The tweeter is without Ferrofluid so this LCR circuit should give the crossover a more linear load and also protect the tweeter at fundamental resonance decreasing distortion and giving more dynamic range.
Then there is a series resistor before the tweeter that is somewhat higher in value then before.
The cap and the coil with series resistor form a rather soft filter.
The woofer got a bigger coil.
I also was able to improve phase matching, the very deep and symmetric null shows.
This speaker is very fast. Energy storage is low, the fast dropping ETC shows.
Group delay is very low down to low frequrncies, the Step response is fast and clean without ringing.

Attachments

• Kalasan 2 FRD Step Groupdelay.PNG
    Kalasan 2 FRD Step Groupdelay.PNG
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,737
  • Kalasan 2 invert FRD Net1 Net2 gain.PNG
    Kalasan 2 invert FRD Net1 Net2 gain.PNG
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,680
  • Kalasan 2 ETC Imp.PNG
    Kalasan 2 ETC Imp.PNG
    60 KB · Views: 2,657
  • Kalasan 2 Bass Crossover.PNG
    Kalasan 2 Bass Crossover.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,697
  • Kalasan 2 Treble crossover.PNG
    Kalasan 2 Treble crossover.PNG
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,694
To differentiate it from the first version i call this version Kalasan 2.
I will now build the crossover physical and listen.
I hope the result is so good that this is the final version.
By the way, the reference axis for this measurements are the lower screw of the tweeter and 10° to 15° off axis, hence the small drop in the highest treble.

Hi Joachim,
I couldn't help but notice that your LSPcad screen shots show the "Kairos" as the data files used.

Jeff B.

Jeff, you beat me by ages anyway.
I got several PMs that where complaining that the complete Kairos Kit is cheaper then buying the drive units alone in Germany by a considerable margin.
So from the German Druids i can make you an offer :
Let the people buy your Kit in the US and let them fit my crossover.
Why ? Think about it .

First, I just want to say that it didn't bother me any that the file said "Kairos", I was just curious about that.

Second, although I designed the Kairos kit, it doesn't really belong to me; it belongs to Meniscus Audio. I have no financial investment in it, nor do I receive anything in return on kit sales. For Meniscus though, this is another story. I am sure Mark would sell the Kairos kit to anyone who wanted to buy one and then that person could use any crossover version that they want. If someone wants to modify the kit in some way then they would need to call Mark at Meniscus Audio and talk to him about that.

Personally, I am OK with Kairos builders trying your crossover if they want. That does not bother me; people making the investment should be able to use whichever crossover sounds the best to them in their system. I am sure there are merits to both crossovers.

I appreciate your candor in all of this too.

Jeff