• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

I have now put the drivers into the factory made cabinets and did some photos.
The cabinets are so shiny that they are quite hard to photograph, especially at night and with flash. I hope you enjoy them nevertheless. I decided to put in the 8 Ohm version of the Satori woofer because i think that will be used most of the time. So we will have two designs.

Very nice finish on the cabinets. I especially like the port solution and I would really like to see a near-field measurement on the port. :)

However, I don't think the appearance and the look of the drivers fully harmonize with the great finish of the enclosure. I also think that SB Acoustics could have done a better job to make the two Satori drivers aesthetically match each other better, but of course that hasn't anything to do with their performance. ;)

Making two different designs make sense since the the two enclosure designs are quite different and will possible require a different cross-over design.

/Göran

I do not know at the moment if the factory made cabinets will be offered.
I sure will measure the drivers in this cabinet and also the port output.
Yes, the silver ring draws some attention. Maybe i can talk SB into making a version with a black ring. The ring can also be sprayed black quite easy.
The cabinets look better during the day then on the photos i did at night with flash.
I did now some photos without flash.

Satori Monitor Day

Here we go.

Attachments

• Sat Mon Day 1.jpg
    Sat Mon Day 1.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 2,289
  • Sat Mon Day 2.jpg
    Sat Mon Day 2.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 2,190
I do not know if the finished cabinets will ever be available. They are mainly done for a presentation. I can try to make them available in MDF for DIY finishing.
The last days i have put the drivers into the DIY cabinet version and have made a new crossover. I had a bug in my impedance measurements so the coil before the woofer comes out with a bigger value. Thanks Jeff for alerting me.
I will publish two versions. One has a maximum null when i reverse one driver. The other is made for maximum flatness.

Here is the new crossover for the cabinet in post 363. The woofer is the 4 Ohm version.
I can make the response even flatter but then i do not get that sharp null when i do the tweeter in phase. On the other hand this is already very decent so it is close to the final tuning.

Attachments

• Satori Mon DIY 1.0 etc.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 step.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 419
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 group delay.pdf
    13 KB · Views: 363
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 crossover treble.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 968
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 crossover bass.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 individual phase.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 479
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 FRD null.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 725
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 FRD.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • Satori Mon DIY 1.0 input impedance.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 435
Here is the new crossover for the cabinet in post 363. The woofer is the 4 Ohm version.
I can make the response even flatter but then i do not get that sharp null when i do the tweeter in phase. On the other hand this is already very decent so it is close to the final tuning.

Nice phase tracking and the "BSC" is handled effectively with the large coil and the wide baffle, but gives a rather low cross-over frequency, 1.6-1.7kHz?

Even though the cross-over is very simple it would require a fair amount of components to achieve the cross-over values.

Looking forward to listening impressions and measurements. :)

/Göran

The tweeter has a lot of amplitude in the lower reaches because of the wide baffle. I think suppression of low frequencies is enough even with this low crossover.
Modern tweeters are surprising robust anyway. I use low crossover frequencies on many commercial designs i made and a broken tweeter is extremely rare.
The low crossover has some advantages, mainly better off axis response with little suckout in the crossover region.

Nice job on the xovers there. Simple yet effective, there's not much more to ask for. Subjectively it will be interesting to see whether or not the system sounds better at high volumes with the 4th order system, rather than the second. You sure are pushing that tweeter hard with the low and shallow slope, but this is part of what you're paying for when you go for a big bucks tweeter, a clean lower end with more usable output.

Indeed that's half of the problem with wide-band drivers as I'm sure both would probably require at least 3rd order electrical to bend them into 4th order target slopes at a similar frequency. In this regard these drivers and the sloping cabinet, almost seem perfectly suited to 2nd order slopes, but then that was the plan all along :D