SANWU TPA3116 + CSR8635 Bluetooth 4.0 - Noise Fix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no simple way. The software is bugged and requires some tinkering and manually editing configuration files.
You can find lots of useful information here - Programming off the shelf CSR8635 module - Page 1
Studying both, this and linked thread should be enough to find out how to change volume settings.

ok thanks. i ordered the programer etc and will test it.

i got another question. i want to control the volume, but not with the buttons on the board but with a potentiometer.
can i use such a dual potentiometer:

High Quality B50K 50K Ohm Dual Linear Taper Volume Control Potentiometer Switch-in Switches from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

and put it between i.e. pin 37 and 39 (for both speaker) ? or do i get something wrong?

Google Image Result for https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/programming-off-the-shelf-csr8635-module/?action=dlattach;attach=221132

if its correct, which value should i use a 20k, 50k potentiometer (from the link above)? or another value, but i can only find the 20 and 50k dual AND with a switch

557120d1467075024-sanwu-tpa3116-csr8635-bluetooth-4-0-noise-fix-sanwu_tpa3116_csr8635_v2-2_1_1024-jpg

Sticking down a heatsink like this is rather useless. Anyway, cleaning the snot off:
This is not true, this works fine. It is just a 'little bit' (WAY!!) to much heatsink paste. The idea is to replace the air in between the surfaces as air is a good heat insulator. A little drop in the middle of the chip and then putting on the heatsink squeezing a little out is enough. Just make sure the whole surface of the chip is covered. Better use a little to much then not enough.

Some pastes have silver in them an are conductive; then you would have a big problem shorting everything on the board.

This is not true, this works fine. It is just a 'little bit' (WAY!!) to much heatsink paste. The idea is to replace the air in between the surfaces as air is a good heat insulator. A little drop in the middle of the chip and then putting on the heatsink squeezing a little out is enough. Just make sure the whole surface of the chip is covered. Better use a little to much then not enough.

Some pastes have silver in them an are conductive; then you would have a big problem shorting everything on the board.
Tell me about that, two weeks ago i burned two amplifers because i changed the termal paste.
Now i know why it happened.
Didnt even had a chance to hear there sound quality.
40$ goan :)

Help with line input

Wondering if anybody could help me translate the schematic for wiring a line input to these boards.

I'm using this:
tyK1UmA.png

I've soldered leads to the MIC_AN, MIC_AP, MIC_BN, MIC_BP tabs on the bluetooth module (magnifying glasses highly encouraged), but I'm confused by the C1-C4 markings on the diagram.

Basically I just want to add a female 3.5mm jack that I can use as a line in without adding a ton of noise.

I've already been able to change the firmware so that it acts as a line input, but I want to make sure its wired correctly before I keep going.

Wondering if anybody could help me translate the schematic for wiring a line input to these boards.

I'm using this:
tyK1UmA.png

I've soldered leads to the MIC_AN, MIC_AP, MIC_BN, MIC_BP tabs on the bluetooth module (magnifying glasses highly encouraged), but I'm confused by the C1-C4 markings on the diagram.

Basically I just want to add a female 3.5mm jack that I can use as a line in without adding a ton of noise.

I've already been able to change the firmware so that it acts as a line input, but I want to make sure its wired correctly before I keep going.
C1-4 are just input capacitors that go between your 3.5mm input jack and the CSR86xx input pins.

Attached is a snip from the CSR8635s datasheet which hopefully is a little less confusing. 2018-03-03-05-10-02.jpg

There is no simple way. The software is bugged and requires some tinkering and manually editing configuration files.
You can find lots of useful information here - Programming off the shelf CSR8635 module - Page 1
Studying both, this and linked thread should be enough to find out how to change volume settings.

thanks again for that link. i successfully managed to change some parts of the firmware, but i dont see the part so the volume will be at MAX when starting the module. i checked the csr8600 configuration tool and in PStool

This may help from the CSR BlueSuite. I believe the highlighted (red) parameter is the default volume level for streaming audio. Just below that may be the default volume level for the entire unit. The HP10 value is one of 15 HP values that represent relative volume in dB. IIRC, each HP parameter is set in another screen to a particular dB level relative to 0 dB (I don't have the Bluesuite running right now to verify).

BT Volume.png

Last edited:
How to fix/remove/bypass the (unneeded) Diff2SE stage:

645568d1510576917-sanwu-tpa3116-csr8635-bluetooth-4-0-noise-fix-unknown_brand_v3-1_tpa3116_sediff_fix_360customs-jpg

Keep wires (per channel) close together. Every component with an X needs to get removed.

Does this mod remove only on/off pops or does this also correct pops when the bluetooth mutes the amp? Right now if I pause the music from my phone, the unit waits about 3-4 seconds and then there is a pop sound and the amp goes quiet.

Thanks for your help!

The CSR is disabling the output stages when no device is connected. There's a possible fix in software for this issue by enabling automatic AUX switching but this may introduce some static noise. Have you set the GAIN of the TPA3116 down to 20dB? It should be less then. Another hw modification is to change the DC-blocking caps at the CSR outputs, those four where the wires gets soldered to (C17, C19, C20, C24), to a lower value. If i remember correctly, they're in the range of 5-10uF. I'd try 1uF here together with 20dB gain.

This may help from the CSR BlueSuite. I believe the highlighted (red) parameter is the default volume level for streaming audio. Just below that may be the default volume level for the entire unit. The HP10 value is one of 15 HP values that represent relative volume in dB. IIRC, each HP parameter is set in another screen to a particular dB level relative to 0 dB (I don't have the Bluesuite running right now to verify).

View attachment 667902

thank you. i tried it but it didnt work, for me it seems it always useses HFP10 so i changed the db for HFP10 in Audio Gain and that worked

The CSR is disabling the output stages when no device is connected. There's a possible fix in software for this issue by enabling automatic AUX switching but this may introduce some static noise. Have you set the GAIN of the TPA3116 down to 20dB? It should be less then. Another hw modification is to change the DC-blocking caps at the CSR outputs, those four where the wires gets soldered to (C17, C19, C20, C24), to a lower value. If i remember correctly, they're in the range of 5-10uF. I'd try 1uF here together with 20dB gain.

Thanks for the feedback- I havent done any Hardware changes so far- only SW. I will give the AUX switching by SW a try- not sure if I will use the AUX, but if static is bad, maybe grounding the AUX inputs will solve it.

Next I will try the AMP gain HW change and then finally try the jumpers/removing preamp.

I may need to go with removing the preamp anyway because I am hoping to add balance and fader controls (to add a second amp to it). Ill post up my findings when I get a little further into this.

Do you have the schematics of this board or do you just know which components to pull based on the data sheets of the ICs? If you have the schematic, I would love a copy :D

Okay I tried to reset the gain by removing the resistor, but i wasnt happy with the volume level so I re-installed the resistor.

I dont want to ask a lot of questions that have already been asked, And I swear I have read a lot of posts on these CSR modules.... But maybe I am slow. I cant find the way to enable AUX in for my board. I have PStool and the CSR config tool but honestly I wasnt sure what to do. I would like to learn, but I think I am missing some basic info maybe everyone else already knows. I read the data sheet for the CSR8635 but didnt seem to help with PSKEY descriptions. is there another resource I should be reviewing?

On a related note, I tried to set a few Voice prompts and nearly bricked the module :rolleyes: luckily it allowed me to reflash the orginal dump file and its back up and running. maybe Ill try that again another day :D

I never flashed any voice prompts at all. For having the AUX working, you'll need an assigned PIO (Tab: Input/Output) and an event (Tab: User Events) to enable it. This can be done with the CSR config tool. Bluetooth streams have highest priority so having AUX permanently on keeps the output stage alive.

(This is from my memory, i don't have the tools installed atm)

I never flashed any voice prompts at all. For having the AUX working, you'll need an assigned PIO (Tab: Input/Output) and an event (Tab: User Events) to enable it. This can be done with the CSR config tool. Bluetooth streams have highest priority so having AUX permanently on keeps the output stage alive.

(This is from my memory, i don't have the tools installed atm)

Thank You all for your Help!

I finally found the blueVox sheet on post#30 which is what I was looking for- Now im studying it. Im not a progrmmer, but I am understanding a lot of it. I think Ill get the hang of it soon.

Does anyone have a PSR file dump from one of the units using a CSR8635 and has an AUX input? I would like to compare the POI settings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.