Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

New double positive regulator with custom pcb is alive.
It will be used for DAC, one for digital and one for analog power supply.

This is 4 layer pcb with 2 internal ground planes.

Anyways, the supply is extraordinary thanks to the Salas!

IMG-20240227-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20240227-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20240227-WA0008.jpg
IMG_20240227_220425.jpg

Why one side has three TH resistors underneath and the other does not?
This is a CCS resistor (3 in series), and I didn't have the vaule I needed. It will be replaced soon with single one.

It is hard to see but i have PANASONIC 100nf PPS film capacitors between Q2 base and GND (parallel to C2), one is between Q3 base and GND, and there is a 0402 3.3nf C0G capacitor between two leds and GND.
The LEDs are HLMP-6000.

I got interesting results with this configuration. Somehow highs are more alive.
I don't have any preregulation on my DAC - it is supplied directly with this regulator.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is hard to see but i have PANASONIC 100nf PPS film capacitors between Q2 base and GND (parallel to C2), one is between Q3 base and GND, and there is a 0402 3.3nf C0G capacitor between two leds and GND.
The LEDs are HLMP-6000.

I got interesting results with this configuration. Somehow highs are more alive.
I don't have any preregulation on my DAC - it is supplied directly with this regulator.
Here's the situation, generally more phase shift before zero gain.

std.png

with extra nF caps.png

Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is it OK to decrease C1 value to have less effective voltage across M1 for less heat dissipation?

For example I now have 320mA CCS setting, 12VAC 35VA transformer (outputting 13.8VAC), C1 is 4700uF and M1-Vds = 9V
I planned to make C1 2200uf or even lower.
Decreasing C1 increases ripple voltage. Which is AC. Thus you get less DC. I don't think its wise to exchange little heat benefit with more ripple. Ripple is detrimental.

Hello . I have a question - how low i can go with voltage ?
I want to power I2S over usb kind off like xmos usb to spdif . I need 4 -5.3 v 400ma for usb side and 4.5 -5.3 for oscillator reclock 100ma. I have a transformer 20Va with 10v ac output. Obviously I would built 2 separate ultra bib . Can I power them from the same transformer ?
They would not be connected at any point on the I2S board .
I recieved with my kit PF5103 with label below 7.5 ma . Do I need one per ultra bib ? Where does it need to be installed as on pcb there is 3 of them ?
Thank you .

You could alternatively add a few Ω power resistor between bridge and C1 making RC filter and eating some DC voltage. It will dissipate some power itself of course. Not a good looking botch on a finished pcb design also.
I thought about that. I might combine a bit bigger resistor (so it fits the PCB) and a lower voltage transformer. I need to buy new transformers anyway.

Again, thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello . Ok . I found info i needed so I installed J3 and silly me I swaped by mistake M1 with M2 soon as i saw no leds and smoke I immediatly turned power off. Pulled M1 and M2 cause needs to change their location anyway. Checked both and both ok on tester . Quick test with multimeter show no components failed . Is that possible . What could fail most likely ? Thank you . I could cut my hand off that i checked everything 10 times . Oh well.