Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thank you Salas, I believe you are right. Initial install was the bead maybe, 2.5cm above R5. I adjusted things last night so that the bead is now resting on R5 and seems to be much, much better.

The leads are very thin, 0.3mm and coated like magnet wire, I would be keen to try shortening them but not sure how I will pull that off. Anyway, keeping an eye on things with the bead touching R5 and everything seems to be holding very steady.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Right now it is powering a Pass Korg Nutube B1, there was a noticeable improvement in the sound after adding it. I sink the transistors to the chassis with 3mm thick aluminum, plus the thicker front plate, it soaks up all the heat without a problem. Ambient temp is 20C, system has been idling for ~48 hours now, M1 and M2 are only 26C.

Always nice to know impressions in system applications. About your L-Adapter build too.
Hi . So I had some time finally after it burned in a bit and as expected there is no going back to wall supply . The sound was dirty and dark . Now is open and clear . Clearer vocals and Just clean signal . L-adapter definietly imroved base . To be honest since I changed both power supply for allo usbridge and recklocker audio gd its hard to tell which has made the biggest impact . Plus I constantly play with anode current on tube output in my diy dac so that is impacting sound too. I will get a different dac soon and once I get used to the sound then I will do a b testing so I can give better and more objective opinion. It certainly improved sound quality in my system . Still naked . Need to order some housing from china.
20240101_143632.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, thanks!

I have tried up to 1 meter output cable without visible problems like more noise/RF interference when testing with an oscilloscope. But its good to keep length as short as each installation practically permits. Thus keeping the cable's contribution to the overall output impedance low. Not thinner than 12AWG (3.3mm2) also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The reason is to have low impedance lower drift active voltage source for 5V applications. Since two Leds are enough almost alone for that (little trimmer contribution). So we could use one Led or no Leds and larger trimmer value for other higher voltage apps but 5V chips are in better safety with just two Leds. There is the NTC//R5 solution too for all voltage levels, but its a bit advanced since it takes testing in a build individually as there are various nearby spec types, ambient temp, and NTC bead position variations.

Thank you. So it turns out that with Black Gate he plays better, more naturally. There is a feeling that this is exactly how it should be played.
I tried Muse KZ, Panasonic FC, they also play well but much worse than BG.
a lot of instruments showed themselves to have a natural sound. I began to distinguish instruments; in one composition I used to think that a violin was playing, but now I’m sure that
that's an accordion. The vocals are completely separated from the overall picture and sound very natural. In general, BG didn’t find anything better

I shunted it using Murata ceramic capacitors, it turned out much better than with Vim.

Last edited:
Thanks you Salas.

I am planning to use FISCHER SK104 pcb mountable heatsink.
1706734353021.png

CCS setting: 300mA
Max mosfet power dissipation: 2.5W

I am afraid that I would build an antenna with heatsink :ROFLMAO:
Is it better in this low power scenario to connect heatsinks to chassis earth or non-isolated drains of the mosfets?