Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Got wrong sized capacitors, can I still use them?+

Hi. Before I ask my question just wanted to say that I exchanged my mesmerize board for a hypnotize and Tea-Bag has been extremely patient and helpful, considering the problem was mine and not his. Thanks a lot Tea-Bag!

I made the mistake of buying nichicon kg golds, 30mm diameter caps, so I can't place all four in their respective locations because the last two don't fit. If I place the two outer ones upside down (on the bottom of the board) then I can use them. They are wide enough that I need to also not mount them flushed to the surface because they would get in the way of the mur820's and jumper j3. These are snap-ins, so I don't have long legs to work with.

Not knowing enough about this stuff, is there a problem with doing this?

I would end up with the two that are closest to the mur820's being mounted to the underside of the board, the two furthest away would be mounted on top.

Should I just buy the right diameter caps and forget about using these?

Thanks.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Morning.

Sorry, for being so amateur. Just one last question before I hookup the transformer. I want to be double sure, I'm doing it right.

The transformer is R Core and it's secondaries have 4 wires. It must be 15-0-0-15. I suppose I should wire the 0s to the center tap, and two 15s to the left and right? Is it correct?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maybe I should precise, that primaries have 3 wires: One of them is "écran electrostatique" as written on transformator. This I'm intending to connect to mains scoket ground leg. The secondaries as per post above.

Waiting to get an approve from somebody not so novice like me.

Thanks.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not knowing enough about this stuff, is there a problem with doing this?

I would end up with the two that are closest to the mur820's being mounted to the underside of the board, the two furthest away would be mounted on top.

Should I just buy the right diameter caps and forget about using these?

Thanks.

You may connect correctly electrically for +/- any proper uF and Volt capacitor. Aesthetically, its your decision.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, Salas! Found the sucka!

All leds on now.

Voltage +10.21/-10.25

However on the ouputs right channel 0.2 mV, while left 1.4 mV.
Is it normal?

What else could I check?

Just shows that one audio JFETs pair is a bit less well matched than the other, still well within non issue territory. You could check the voltages across the 10R current setting resistors for each rail. That will give us the CCS currents.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just shows that one audio JFETs pair is a bit less well matched than the other, still well within non issue territory. You could check the voltages across the 10R current setting resistors for each rail. That will give us the CCS currents.

Salas, can't thank you enough for all the help.
I will check V across 10R when back at home.

Hm, really worried about that jfet mismatch even if there will be no issue. Wanted to do all the best, but must be my inexperienced hand or eye that slipped some error.

Now, I'm concerned about the grounding. As I have even less understanding about it, would you recommend an article on it or some tips?

I've seen mentioning star grounding earlier. That's what I'm intending to investigate.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas, can't thank you enough for all the help.
I will check V across 10R when back at home.

Hm, really worried about that jfet mismatch even if there will be no issue. Wanted to do all the best, but must be my inexperienced hand or eye that slipped some error.

Now, I'm concerned about the grounding. As I have even less understanding about it, would you recommend an article on it or some tips?

I've seen mentioning star grounding earlier. That's what I'm intending to investigate.

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/ground.htm