Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Discovered that my RCA grounding was poor. I soldered all the ground tabs to the nut to get proper contact, now it sounds great!
I'm relaxing with a beer listening to music through my diy system and realize I never experienced such great sound before using semi-expensive commercial gear.
This forum is the best thing that happened to my hobby.
Thanks for a great design and kit Salas. :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. A hint by the way. For treating metal contacts of switches and plugs, also good for cleaning rotary pots, get a can of Cramolin Contaclean in Europe. Its the same well respected old Cramolin R5 reddish formula. For those in USA there is the slightly altered Deoxit D5 to get. Shipping such flammable spray stuff over air is not allowed, so better look for national dealers.

Current seems to be ok: 0,0626 vs 0,0594 that means a 5% difference.
IRF9240 and 240 closer to the rectifiers are pretty warm, I can take my fingers on them but they are definitely hotter than the other two.

Final voltages are stable at 10.21 va 10.15 that means a 0,5% difference.

PS: I love yellow leds used here :)

Attachments

• 2015-08-22 07.59.11.jpg
    2015-08-22 07.59.11.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 199
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Current seems to be ok: 0,0626 vs 0,0594 that means a 5% difference.
IRF9240 and 240 closer to the rectifiers are pretty warm, I can take my fingers on them but they are definitely hotter than the other two.

Final voltages are stable at 10.21 va 10.15 that means a 0,5% difference.

PS: I love yellow leds used here :)

All readings OK on this home etched guy. You could use small individual sinks for the warmer MOSFETS. They are big devices that can support a bit of extra weight. Those two are having more than 10V across that the output ones have if the transformer is 15-0-15VAC

P.S. Watch your power on/down system sequence as I see no relay in your build. What are those extra TO-220s for? Some post step down regulators for another circuit?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Have 2 buffers wonder if I can use a LM 49600 as extra buffer after the fets and a feedback loop?

If you lack current drive in some certain system, its one of the many ways one could think so to boost current. Doable.

Me concept wise I would try to solve this while keeping the simplistic theme of DCB1. Say use same circuit but DN2540s for K170s. They should run at 120-130mA. One should watch source components impedance and new higher Ciss. DC offset could be a problem but one output coupling capacitor is still hundreds less silicon junctions and not yet another feedback scheme as it would be with adding IC. JFETS are still quieter and nicer than MOSFETS but eeh, we now got a strongman DCMOS1 :)