Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Thanks! I have small heat shrink and will first place the legenburg in it side by side.

I wish I had a decent USB ADC to record the different implementations. Audiodiffmaker could then play back the difference between them. Using the mic input on a laptop yields terrible results.

OWith the AndrewT wiring suggestion it is spectacular. Much less noise with the parallel legenburg 24 awg equivalent wire in heat shrink vs stranded 18 awg. Really good clarity, tight deep bass, excellent extension.

The mkp is a very good choice. The ft-3 is simply better in every way. I still preferred the ft3 with the stranded wire I tightly twisted to the wima but now the choice is obvious.

Last edited:
The caps are under the RCA inputs, inside the chassis. The board is on top of the chassis.
The wire is a pair of 24 awg neotech legenburg (rectangular) occ copper wire with Teflon insulation placed face to face inside a small heat shrink for each cap. The wire is 10" to 1 foot in length. The issue with my build is the layout. It could have been very short with a bigger chassis. My chassis is so small, the potted toroid sits directly under the 0.22 uF caps. There is no way the caps could be closer in my build.

I have nichicn kz Muse N the 1000 uF at 25 V size. I don't think the leads will fit the holes in the board. Much thanks to dimkatsa for suggesting ft3, AndrewT for the wiring geometry and erland for steering me away from stranded wire.

Last edited:
I think the main difference is the regular 18 awg stranded hookup wire vs the solid core. Since the wire was 18awg and could not be soldered directly to the PCB, I mounted some single pole connectors similar to those used on the input and output wiring to the location of the 0.22uF cap.

The solid core was soldered directly to the PCB -- another difference.

The stranded implementation softened transients and darkened the sound.

The solid core implementation sounds a whole lot more like the original Wima MKP, except that the detail is better overall and more transparent. Piano really sounds terrific, whereas with the stranded twisted wire, it had less clarity. The Wima does not quite have the detail of the teflon.

For want of better words, the MKP was vivid and dynamic, but a little 'cartoon-like'. The Teflon is now vivid and dynamic but more transparent/realistic. With the stranded implementation it was darker, slower, less vivid/dynamic..

That's about it.

Could all just be crazy confirmation bias too. I will ask a buddy over who is very familiar with the system, and not tell him I did anything.

I have experimented with twisted pairs and star Quad using cat5e wire.
These have been so successful that I have adopted them as interconnects in many parts of my systems.
Sorry for the off topic post... Andrew, is there a thread where you have discussed your observations/results/designs/experiments with the cat5e wire and its different configurations? Thanks.

Generally I only use close coupled pairs, or twisted.

I don't believe any of the "weird" configurations can offer any advantages for low loop area.

I recently volunteered some measurements of capacitance for CAT5. Have posted a few preliminary results for twisted and combinations of twisted.

Generally I only use close coupled pairs, or twisted.

I don't believe any of the "weird" configurations can offer any advantages for low loop area.

I recently volunteered some measurements of capacitance for CAT5. Have posted a few preliminary results for twisted and combinations of twisted.

I ALWAYS used to use shielded cable but have recently tried closely twisted pairs. I can't say they are any better but they certainly aren't any worse.