Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

So you essentially follow the diagram on top of this page now, just without a 10R, yes?

They are auxiliary chassis at mains earth potential lugs in case of noises occur with unknown new equipment introduced in a system to try solve. They are not too common these days.

Yes, I followed the diagram without the resistor. Thanks for the info. Since I did not need the isolated post, I thought maybe install a chassis lug.... I have one to fit, and it is all metal, like the rest of the unit.

I sicerely dont get this. Everyone is recommending a top floatong ground potential. Even the master. Well if everything is top floating, everything will roundabout. Stupid thing. Now AndrewtT will be more angry. Still tho. Only one devise can keep the gnd potential. If you try many devices you will have problem. This has nothing to do with saftey Andrew.

Cheers mates but before you hang me I will explain what I mean by grounding. EVERY chassie, every touchable thing shall be grounded. If you have missed this you have failed. Period. Though, you can not ground everything to earth. If you do you will likely have sk. ground loops.

Let me phrase one time and for all, Andrew will kill me but he is wrong. You only need to reference ONE thing to earth. IE that is the preamp, the poweramp OR the riaa. Trying to reference them all will NOT gain you any safetey, as long as you reference the chassies to ground. Now Andrew, do your best.

This could get interesting!

I kind of got around this issue. My power amps are the only thing directly connected to mains earth. My sources are double insulated but then I suppose they are earthed via the mains return eh. Grounding seems to be a bit of a grey area in domestic audio.

Davym. As long as it is IECC stuff you shouldnt have to worry. Thoug. IECC does not say your ourput have to be neutral. In fact it can never be, unless it has a coupling cap and a resistor to ground. Commercial stuff seldom has. Thats why it loops. Soundcards for PCs has no caps. Hence they loop. It doesent say they are not safe, They are unpractical, but safe.

I noticed some years ago that the old tower type computer's were a nightmare of noise and ground loop issues. Laptops seem much better but are still quite noisy.

These days i use a netbook for a digital source which is connected to an external clock via USB which in turn is connected to my DAC via an optical link. That seems to work very well. The coax link I was using until very recently did transmit a little noise. Changing to the optical link seems to have solved that issue.

Would it not make sense to substitute a CL60 for the 10 Ohm resistor? The CL60 has a nominal 10 ohm impedance..... I think AndrewT and Nelson Pass both advocate the thermistor. NP uses a massive diode bridge in place of the Yin/Yang diodes.

I assume this is all for longevity?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The CL60 can substitute for both the diodes and resistor. Up to 5A fault current. But the diodes are faster in case of fault. Massive bridge or very heavy diodes is better if the trafo has very big VA so it could pass 10s of amps in case of a short fast. Bridge also provides a spare parallel diode per yin and yang for ease of mind. A reserve guard.

The phono socket body is part of the Signal.
It is the route that the signal returns back to Source.

The Source MUST use both wires/routes to connect to the amplifier.
The Amplifier does NOT need a connection to Chassis.

A connection to CHASSIS is only needed for Safety.
All exposed conductive parts must be connected to PE.
Get the Safety sorted quite separately from sorting the Audio.