Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm, well I'll probably be using a cd player or pc as a source.

They normally got less than 200 Ohm output impedance. If in doubt play a steady tone up to 500HZ through them and use your DMM on AC to measure their output unloaded. Then load their output with a 2K trimmer wired up like a rheostat at max and measure across. It should still show nearly the same level. Then turn the trimmer down until you read half the original level. Take the trimmer away then and measure its Ohmic value at that setting. It will represent the source's output impedance.

Hello,
I am having a problem. My relay is not clicking on, i have no DC offset, the status LED is not on, the relay diode is reading 0V.

All LED strings light up and Vout voltage is 10.15.

Any ideas or pointers on how I can troubleshoot this? Maybe I have a faulty component somewhere.. I checked for cold solder joints..

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Madison

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lifting a trace there stops the raw DC feed to it or cuts it off ground. There must DC on its top pin referenced to ground. That should be coming from the main filter caps and be >12V.

Attachments

• Snap 2013-05-17 at 03.30.09.png
    Snap 2013-05-17 at 03.30.09.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 375
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If your transformer actually puts out about 17+17VAC on your mains then 22VDC sounds right, but sink the 7812 when you will replace it because 10V across gonna heat it up. The middle pin is grounding the chip so that via should give continuity to the general ground on the DMM. A good 7812 gives 12V on its right pin, that's its job.

Question on the Fets

I have the following fet spots open on the PCB:
two spots for K170
two spots for K1/0
One spot for C560
One spot for C550

I have Tea Bags kit and have:
qty two - K170 BL20
qty two - K170 BL1E
qty two - K170 BL1F
Qty one - BC550
Qty one - BC56

I am not totally sure what I put where and I'm looking for help... Thanks all!

PS Photo of the fets from Tea Bag:

20130519_132852_zps16deba80.jpg

Last edited:
Correction on my Question on the Fets

I have the following fet spots open on the PCB:
Four spots for K170
two spots for K1/0
One spot for C560
One spot for C550

I have Tea Bags kit and have:
qty two - K170 BL20
qty two - K170 BL1E
qty two - K170 BL1F
Qty one - BC550
Qty one - BC56

I am not totally sure what I put where and I'm looking for help... Thanks all!

I have the matched pairs installed and saw how you matched them. Nice! You had a red sticker on the foil and they were a nice close match.

So I have a total of six K170. Do these go in the four spots marked K170 and the two spots marked K1/0 on the PCB?

Does the one marked BC56 go into the spot marked C560 on the PCB?

I fixed my previous problem, I had a blown 7812.. One of the rectifiers had a cold solder and I guess some AC passed through to 7812. Fixed both, now everything is in spec.

Question.. Is it ok that +Vout and -Vout are +10.14/-10.14? I read that one needs to be higher than the other or something??

Also, should I use a CL-60 thermistor to connect ground to safety earth like in the F5?? I plan to bolt safety earth (from IEC) straight to chassis. How should I ground my RCA jacks? This is my primary area of concern.. And do I ground the board?

I see the IN/OUT molex have ground pins.. So should the grounds from each pair of RCA jacks go to the ground pin on the molex?