Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Felipe hi,

Input impedance is as much as the volume pot's nominal value. Usually a 20K pot. Output impedance is 50 Ω line out. Due to the R15 typical line damping resistor. But few hundred mΩ on headphones out. Mainly due to relay contacts and wiring. You can also use a resistor (RZJ) instead of jumpers and make it higher Zout for less damping to the headphones. Some dry bass headphones may like a bit of that.

Hi Salas, this LDR has two settings:
  • "nominal impedance" (simulated total potentiometer impedance) I can set value in a range 5k to 50k.
  • "load impedance" (input impedance of the downstream equipment connected to output of LDR Pre. Range here is from 50k to 250k

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
It's awesome but trying to make the build better...

Attached are some pics of my DCG3 pre build. Been using it for almost a year now. Didn't know how good it really was until I hooked up my newly completed Monkey tower speakers and the system came alive. SP-10, Salas RIAA Phono pre, DCG3, M2X Norwood and the Monkey Towers. The sound is awesome. Thank you Salas. I never really finished the DCG3 build because I wanted to install a Muses volume control which has an ultra low noise power supply and I wanted to be able to try it with the UBiB 1.3 shunt power supply which somebody raved about with the DCG3.

I am not very good at jamming a lot of stuff in a box so I started a parallel build and am moving the trafos to a separate box to give me more room and get the AC out of the DCG3 box. I used the flexy boards for this and bypass the front section of the UBiB. Anti ringing on the Flexy. Putting a 200uF cap that I have in the C1 position. Then a big question came up. Sound wise am I better off putting the UBiB 1.3's in the trafo/ flexy box or in the DCG3 Box.

I am using 2 Pairs of Flexy boards one per Channel single ended so the power stays separated all the way through the UBiB. All set up for mono blocks.

Any thought's on this would be greatly appreciated.

I just can't get over how good the sound is.

Thank you,

Don

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Then a big question came up. Sound wise am I better off putting the UBiB 1.3's in the trafo/ flexy box or in the DCG3 Box.

I am using 2 Pairs of Flexy boards one per Channel single ended so the power stays separated all the way through the UBiB. All set up for mono blocks.

Any thought's on this would be greatly appreciated.

I just can't get over how good the sound is.

Thank you,

Don
Don hi,

I am happy that you like it. :up:
Better keep the UBiBs in the same box with the preamp board. Vout cables kept short that way is a clear benefit.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
My next big gain in sound quality....

As part of my system improvement program, The cartridge is up next. I have an AT33PTG/2 on an EPA100 tone arm on the SP-10. I have a lot of confidence there is lots of room fore improvement in sound quality with a better cartridge. For me, totally neutral/no color and great detail is what I want most.

I mentioned to a member off thread that maybe I should bite the bullit and get a Lyra ETNA Lambda and be done with searching around. But, that could be a very bad idea so I thought I would ask on this thread. If you were going to get your dream cartridge, what would it be.

From above, SP-10, Salas Phono Pre, Salas DCG3, M2X Norwood Monoblocks, Monkey Tower speakers.

Thanks for your thoughts. Part and parcel to this is the TT, tone arm, cartridge system compatibility.

Don

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is a tough question as transducers come down to personal preference. Especially when talking super expensive ones. I can comment that Lyra is generally a safe bet tonally, was never bright or dull and had dynamics in all few I had listened to occasionally. Also, prefer the higher output cartridge between two you consider comparable in sound quality.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My next big gain in sound quality....

As part of my system improvement program, The cartridge is up next. I have an AT33PTG/2 on an EPA100 tone arm on the SP-10. I have a lot of confidence there is lots of room fore improvement in sound quality with a better cartridge. For me, totally neutral/no color and great detail is what I want most.

I mentioned to a member off thread that maybe I should bite the bullit and get a Lyra ETNA Lambda and be done with searching around. But, that could be a very bad idea so I thought I would ask on this thread. If you were going to get your dream cartridge, what would it be.

From above, SP-10, Salas Phono Pre, Salas DCG3, M2X Norwood Monoblocks, Monkey Tower speakers.

Thanks for your thoughts. Part and parcel to this is the TT, tone arm, cartridge system compatibility.

Don
Another one to consider is the Mutech RM Kanda Hayabusa. I have one and find it to be the most neutral cartridge I have owned to date.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DCG3 driving 3 power amps per channel. Any issues or other things I should consider? Looking at using DCG3 in a 3way active stereo system.
Hi, tap for extra two outputs from the HP out and buffer those with 150Ω series resistor each. Change R15 to 150Ω too. So the main line out and those two will have the same 50Ω Zout characteristic when working in parallel for interacting less THD via the cables capacitance and amps inputs. You may also up that resistor value for all in case you find higher is beneficial.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thank You, Salas. That part is solved:)

Hope you can help with a question on XLR input and output connections, as I work out the plans for 3 DCG3's to be wired for Tri-amp purposes.

I was planning on 3 pairs of XLR's for outputs just in case the cables are long(10 feet max) going to the power amps.. Is there an advantage and is it worth the effort?

I was planning on wiring a set of input XLR's for connecting a balanced DAC that has 4V output.. This would be one of the inputs connected to 6input relay switch. On Audio Science Review, Emir talks about the dynamic range advantage of the 4V DAC, along with noise prevention of ground loops with balanced connections from equipment that's plugged into different outlets.

Many Thanks!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
XLR connections double the voltage and give SNR advantage if you will actually build double boards DCG3. For true balanced dual phase each. About driving cable capacitance and using star quad it's the same ability between RCA or XLR because star cable has double the regular coax capacitance.