Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Like Salas has pointed out, I am puzzled by the H2/H3 profile differences of the L from the R channels, especially since the THD and THD+N numbers are identical.

Were the measurements taken when hot? Perhaps I missed this but at what input and output voltages were the plots done.

Thanks. nash

The unit warmed up prior test and I did not measure Vin/Vout to compare R/L. The only think that I used is a reference method (means that same condition is used for "before" and "after"). Do not forget, and Salas mentioned that, that recording was done with consumer grade gear and I did hit its absolute limit. That 3H difference can be related to my noise PC, Focusrite 2i2 itself or my cables/connectors/adapters and etc.. As Salas mentioned, next time I’ll use same channel setup gear to measure L and R on Arta. I have my second unit to tune now and I use this experience to bring it up to my expectations. It is total mess there now started with GND loop.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They could have been made closer to nominal AC but they obviously aren't. Are they 230V labeled, and how high mains you got on average?

The sinks are for the pass transistors in the regulator sections and those TO-220 semiconductors have no problem with some more heat due to enthusiastic transformers.

From the moment there will be a lid on, extra heat could be accumulating inside the box though.

Drill ventilation holes over the sinks area if there will ever be a perspex lid or other.

Did you listen to more music by now? Going well?

I replicated issue with 3 harmonic. It is bad connection via 1/4 to RCA adapter to audio interface. My 2nd generation Scarlett 2I2 in general has flimsy input and output connectors and might it make sense to change these for something more robust. Adjustments.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the build will be well ventilated and the extra heat from their enthusiastic secondary voltage not ever creating a real problem, the higher voltage drop across the DCSTB actually brings benefits to its semiconductors leading to a small performance gain.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
See loopback differences of my little old EMU tracker box with bad RCA contact double cable and good separate cables.

Attachments

• Good1.png
    Good1.png
    17 KB · Views: 269
  • Bad1.png
    Bad1.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Good2.png
    Good2.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Bad2.png
    Bad2.png