Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My internet is down for a couple days, for some reason the BOM just downloads as a list on my phone with no notes. I knew I had read that somewhere. I'll motor over to the build thread, thanks again.

Russellc
RZ/J means impedance or jumper. In brief the headphones output in this circuit has negligible impedance and that is what is usually preferred especially for low Ohms cans. That means high damping factor and no response interaction following their impedance curve.

Some people under-damp their cans though to make them less dry if they strike them as such. So they use some resistors instead of jumpers there. Up to 10% the nominal load's impedance is safe for acceptable circa 1dB frequency response effects. 100% would mean impedance factor 1, halving of output voltage, and less power. The output impedance and the load impedance simply form a Zo/ZL voltage divider like a speaker's L pad.

I don't think that your Nighthawks would ever need more bass though because they are are generally described as full but very clean and rather dark.

In any case you can be curious and utilize sockets there too so to judge jumpers VS some 1W resistor values for yourself. Like 2.5R 6.8R 12R etc. Maybe the original Audioquest Dragonfly had enough Zo and the Nighthawks could have been best tuned with that in mind for instance? Keep what output impedance solution you like best in your system for your ears with your cans.

Use a Jensen JT11P1. Works superb. You can use it wired to go Bal to SE or SE to Bal. If you can make your own interconnects you can just wire them in without unnecessary extra connections. The Jensen wires are around 9 in long so you can directly connect an XLR at one end and an RCA at the other with the suggested damping RC at the RCA, in your case.

nash

Hallo

This is a looong Thread.. So please excuse me if the questions have been asked before ;- )

Today I own a Audiolab MDAC and let my say I like what valves do with the music: Because of that I use a mixture of valve hybrids and class-D as Pre / PowerAmps within my audio system. My only source is a USB connected HTPC.
Beside my active 3 channel Speakers I also have a balanced HD650 headphone.

If I go the DIY path I will build a “Soekris dam 1x21” DAC with connected output stage / PreAmp. I will integrate my analogue 3 channel X-over in that case, too.

I am thinking about the connected output stage. I've heard good things about the DCG3 and the “Aikido Cathode Follower Buffer”
  • Did anyone compared these two solutions?
  • Where can I find some sound descriptions in this thread?
  • The Salas DCG3 is proclaimed as line & headphone preamp. Is that a either, or a also at the same time?
  • Does the DCG3 detects that a headphone has been connected?
  • Are the 2x “DCSTB Power Supplies“ necessary/ recommended for the DCG3? I just finished my first DIY solder, building a SSR03 pcb. I have a couple of these boards left….
  • I saw the GB and the kit options? Where does these pcb, Kits come from? EU / USA?
  • At first glance, I didn't find any prices for theDCG-3 and DCSTB kits.
that's it for today ;-)
greetings from Germany

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't know vs Aikido. Maybe someone else does, but in DCG3 there is at least 2X gain involved. Its not either line or headphone, its at the same time. Does not do detection. Can work with several good quality supplies. Subjective impressions have been posted by some members in the course of this thread. GB is organized in USA GB For Salas DCG-3 and DCSTB Power Supplies

@Salas
Received my DCG3 board and full kit today and will try to finish the build over the weekend. I did not expect the board to be so compact after looking at the build pics of some of the members, it slight bigger than bib board and looks almost save size as SSHV boards.

If I am using the BiB psu boards (currently running my BA3 preamp board) changing over to the DCG3 what value/wattage load resistors should I be aiming for to set the psu voltages! Right now they are set for +/-25v which is the req for BA3 preamp. Need to reduce them to +/-15 to +/-17v.

Also regarding your earlier comment to look for post#31 for the wiring if using BiB I am not sure how the wiring connections go from BiB to the pair of DC voltage pins of the DCG3.

Thanks

BAL to SE transformer
wouldnt that introduce some distortion? Ill get a custom transformer done what should be the primary and secondary resistance of the transformer?
I see Rupert neve uses transformers for input in almost all designs and also many say that a good coupling trafo sounds better than a cap in path.
Just tell me the parameters for the trafo. I have a guy with over 35Years of aerospace n militry transformers designer.

As good as the DCG3 sounds, I've recently had to retire my example by throwing it into the trash since it simply can not compete with the Schiit Magni 3 for sound quality as a HA or as line stage preamp.

Yes, the Magni 3 costs a little more, but there's no comparison in sound quality.

I want to give out a big ole' thanks to Salas for all his help answering my questions and for the design.

Just a reminder to guys on this forum...always be open to newer and better options, even if they are commercial offerings.

Now, let's bust out the moonshine and soldering iron and build something else!:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@Salas
Received my DCG3 board and full kit today and will try to finish the build over the weekend. I did not expect the board to be so compact after looking at the build pics of some of the members, it slight bigger than bib board and looks almost save size as SSHV boards.

If I am using the BiB psu boards (currently running my BA3 preamp board) changing over to the DCG3 what value/wattage load resistors should I be aiming for to set the psu voltages! Right now they are set for +/-25v which is the req for BA3 preamp. Need to reduce them to +/-15 to +/-17v.

Also regarding your earlier comment to look for post#31 for the wiring if using BiB I am not sure how the wiring connections go from BiB to the pair of DC voltage pins of the DCG3.

Thanks

180 Ohm 5W dummy loads.

Convert them regs into two wire classic mode and make Y connections from + 0 - BIB to the DCG3 channels corresponding power inputs.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
wouldnt that introduce some distortion? Ill get a custom transformer done what should be the primary and secondary resistance of the transformer?
I see Rupert neve uses transformers for input in almost all designs and also many say that a good coupling trafo sounds better than a cap in path.
Just tell me the parameters for the trafo. I have a guy with over 35Years of aerospace n militry transformers designer.

Don't know enough about signal transformer design, look for examples from Sowter, Lundahl, Jensen etc. to show him their spec and he should understand.

180 Ohm 5W dummy loads.

Convert them regs into two wire classic mode and make Y connections from + 0 - BIB to the DCG3 channels corresponding power inputs.

Thanks Salas, I could only find locally 150R 10W and 220R 10w wirewound/metal oxide film resistors. Can I use any of these or as both of them are around +/-30R difference when compared to the required 180R?

As good as the DCG3 sounds, I've recently had to retire my example by throwing it into the trash since it simply can not compete with the Schiit Magni 3 for sound quality as a HA or as line stage preamp.

Yes, the Magni 3 costs a little more, but there's no comparison in sound quality.

I want to give out a big ole' thanks to Salas for all his help answering my questions and for the design.

Just a reminder to guys on this forum...always be open to newer and better options, even if they are commercial offerings.

Now, let's bust out the moonshine and soldering iron and build something else!:)

Ha ha ha. That’s a good joke.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

I have never heard the magni 3. But I have heard a lot of headphone amps. And Iam concerned for your hearing. See a doctor immediately.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I need a subwoofer output in my DCG3.

The idea is to sum the outputs without causing crosstalk so I designed two unity gain buffers that should present high impedance to the DCG3 outputs and then sum the result and buffer it to drive long cables.

Please let me know if it can be done like this:

Attachments

• SUBWOOFER EVO7.asc
    3.7 KB · Views: 46
  • SUB BUFFER.PNG
    SUB BUFFER.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 484
The final summer presents a 10k impedance to the two Buffers.
The two Buffers each present a 5k impedance to the two Sources.

Why don't you just use the summer connected to the two Sources?
The virtual ground at the -IN node prevents virtually all crosstalk. It's why the summer channel is used for proper summing of two signals.