Saburo's Vs. DTB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dublin78 said:
Congrats.

Two questions:

Were your drivers new when you started this project, or were they recycled from another build?

Are they Fostex stock, or eNabled by Planet 10?

Hi ya Mr 78,

As Scott has mentioned the drivers were his but very lightly used I understand. Also (as DaveD says) they've been modded but not the full-on P10 eNAbling mods. I'd like to have gone for the full-on P10 126's but the Kitchen rebuild has stuffed us money-wise but luckily Scott offered me his Bluey's cheaply which really helped this build go ahead. If I become 'flush' again I'll go with some of DaveD's superb snazzy P10 126's, I've lived with fully eNAbled 127's in the Fonkens for 9 months or so and luuuurrrvve them.

chrisb said:
so Dave, no issues with "up-tilted" RED HOT top end on either of these Fostex systems, then? :cannotbe:

per an elsewhere discussion :D

Ooooh, I dunno Chris, you've lost me here. Is there another thread where someones been 'dissin'the mighty 4" wonder? Point me to 'em matey, I'll give 'em a piece of my mind :)

My mids and lower bass had a peak for sure and there was very little HF before they were thrashed but certainly no 'RED HOT' top end in my experience. I'm sure before they were run-in the output from the horns was dominant over that from the driver which gave rise to some 'odd' (shall we say?) listening experiences. Post-thrashing they're yummy, very balanced, no other way to describe it Sir.

planet10 said:

I believe the drivers are Scott's blue ones... they have been in a couple protos Scott built, but i expect most of their life has been in storage.

They are preEnable modified units (ie to ~ the same level as a set of P10 drivers with only the pre-treatment.

dave

Yep, ^^^ thats right.

Scottmoose said:

Still, I like to think that as well as giving DTB some pleasure

:eek: Matron!

4" of pleasure but all day long (and quite often into the night too).

Ahem!

As you were.... :D

DTB

Hey Dave, thanks for the entertaining read - really enjoyed your journey and feel inspired to follow.
Things are a little warmer in this part of the world (40+ last week although a little cooler this week) so gluing up should not be quite the drama you have had. I left Kent in '68 (I was 5) and haven't missed the cold/damp that much :D

Charles.

Bluerex said:
Hey Dave, thanks for the entertaining read - really enjoyed your journey and feel inspired to follow.
Things are a little warmer in this part of the world (40+ last week although a little cooler this week) so gluing up should not be quite the drama you have had. I left Kent in '68 (I was 5) and haven't missed the cold/damp that much :D

Charles.

Go for it Charles, they're great sounding beasties.

40+? Blimey, bit of a bum boiler that!

I love Kent, we've had a rough (for us) winter but when spring and summer comes it makes it worthwhile. The Skateparks, the pubs, the greenery, the scenery....aaaaahhhhhhh thats better :)

DTB

:D
Walking the WAF tight-rope here... Dave did you happen to cast your eyes over the Mikasa Spawns? A little smaller, less intimidating than the Sabs (and lets not even talk about Sachikos) maybe a little smoother in the lower mids too...

Um, you don't happen to have sheet cutting details I could pinch lying around?

Charles.

Bluerex said:
Thanks Scott, I was just looking at the two FR plots, the Mikasa just looked a bit smoother at around 200. As the proud father, do you have a preference? :)

That's exactly why we got rid of them, because people start taking them too literally, and comparing different animals. Martin's worksheets are remarkable, but like anything else, they have their limitations. I don't have a particular preference for one or the other, so up to you really.

Scottmoose said:

That's exactly why we got rid of them, because people start taking them too literally, and comparing different animals. Martin's worksheets are remarkable, but like anything else, they have their limitations. I don't have a particular preference for one or the other, so up to you really.

(psst - big secret - Scott's main system is one of these: it just sounds like Yanni is right in the room :smash: )

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

of course we know those Brits are famous for their sense of humor

time to revisit my meds or sleep pattern? who needs more than 3hrs a night?

Cut sheets- sorry Gents I don't. I just cobbled info from the plans on Scott/DaveD/ChrisB's Frugalhorn website and used a pencil and paper to work things out how to get the most from each sheet of 4x8 but I don't have anything worth posting TBH. Sorry. I'm not that organised/'pro' or even that good at number-work TBH, really. :)

For making all the little twiddly bits in the horn path I used details from sheet 1 of the Sachiko plans as advised on the Sab-plans. You have to re-adjust for the width obviously. The info you need is all there or within this thread AFAIK.

ChrisB... that piccie of Scotts system is different to how I remembered it :D He's bought a few bits of it along to some DIY fests over the years but I don't remember seeing one of them Boombangabang boxes!!!

DTB

Scottmoose said:
~2 years after designing the things, I've finally had a chance to hear a pair of Saburos (Dave's) last weekend at our mutual friend Simon's birthday hifi bash.

Let's just say I'm a happy camper shall we? They do everything I designed them to do, and then some. :D

Do they sound horn-like to you? Have you heard any of the newer Changs with shorter horns (ports)?

Glad you like your own design Scott! I love 'em, as do quite a few others. AndrewI is just about to finish his pair too. I sent him some woolfelt today.

One of the things I've noticed is that they really pack a punch on LP's I haven't enjoyed since buying/hearing them first time around. Example- 'Stain' by Living Colour, I went to the actual UK live premier of this LP, LC played it all at the Marquee Club in Lundun Village. Blummin' deafening (and violent ... I got accidentally kicked in the head when Corey jumped off the stage into the crowd! I'd never seen stage diving before), so I bought the CD. It was a mass-racket! I couldn't understand or hear what they were trying to do, there were lots of fx and dialogue parts that I just couldn't make out from under the thick proccessed layer of guitars and typical 90's mid-rangey Spector Bass sounds on my Rogers/SS Amp combo however with the Sabs on the end of a 2A3 SE amp its absolutely killer IMO.

Piccies from SimonC's birthday bash, a few shots of the Sab's in here too.. http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z109/davethebass1/SimonC Birfdee bash 2009/

Chuffed!

DTB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.