SA2015 V-MOSFET Builders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I amn't sure what is the right,i see many commercial products using rubbers+paste,other not.
I will try to measure in my SX(Bonsai) amplifier where rubbers and no paste has been used.
I realized two amplifiers class a (2x15W), one equipped with red Keratherm and the other of silicon gray pad but both without any grease and no problem so far. However, the red Keratherm is more efficient.

:)

Mine SX class A using silicon pads without thermal paste.
+/-22V
Idle current=1.3A
Room's temperature=22°C

Attachments

• SX tempreture.JPG
    SX tempreture.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Here are the temperature readings after stabilization, the quiescent currents are 1A and the temperature of the room is 22 °.
With Keratherm red heat transfer is faster. With the gray pads I noticed that this process was slower.

Regard's :)

Attachments

• SAM_3123.jpg
    SAM_3123.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 367
your latest temp reading look a bit odd.
The bolt 57C which is thermally insulated from the transistor and yet thermally coupled to the heatsink 51C is very hot.
The air cooling of the top surface of the transistor 53C would indicate that Tc is probably a little bit higher than this.
The 51 for the heatsink adjacent to the transistor seems a bit high taking account of the temp diff from Tc to Ts across the insulator.
Yet the heatsink a little further away is way down @ 41C. Something quite odd.
Could you be using an IR temp meter that is reading a wide beam and picking up on other surfaces at different temps?

I used an infra red pointer for measurements but they are quickly different depending on the location and I may not have been accurate enough.
It should be noted that this amplifier is actually a class A and that this seems to me quite normal high temperature.
I will take action again, taking care to measure the sites I will target.

Thanks Andrew.

Here are the temperature readings after stabilization, the quiescent currents are 1A and the temperature of the room is 22 °.
With Keratherm red heat transfer is faster. With the gray pads I noticed that this process was slower.

Regard's :)

your latest temp reading look a bit odd.
The bolt 57C which is thermally insulated from the transistor and yet thermally coupled to the heatsink 51C is very hot.
The air cooling of the top surface of the transistor 53C would indicate that Tc is probably a little bit higher than this.
The 51 for the heatsink adjacent to the transistor seems a bit high taking account of the temp diff from Tc to Ts across the insulator.
Yet the heatsink a little further away is way down @ 41C. Something quite odd.
Could you be using an IR temp meter that is reading a wide beam and picking up on other surfaces at different temps?
Thanks Project16!
So it's a difference of about 6°C between bolt and heatsink,in my case is a bit higher.
Andrew,i dont think that bolt is thermally insulated from the transistor.

After one hour of operation, the readings appear to confirm the first (values in yellow). The outer fins of the heat sinks have a uniform temperature throughout the heatsink of 42 °.
The measurements are made with an infrared pointer for an ambient temperature of 22 °.

:)

Attachments

• SAM_3123.jpg
    SAM_3123.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 457
One chanell disassembled for mosfet replacement.
This one was the first built and wasn't built using matched mosfets.
Because of a big difference in the idle current of the center pair (168mA against 136mA other pairs),i decided to replace with matched pairs.
Now i have a dilemma, what is the preferable way for mosfets mounting?
As in picture 1 or in picture 2.
Can the first way,given more room to mosfets, ensures better cooling conditions?
Is it a danger for instability?

Attachments

• DSC08849.jpg
    DSC08849.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC08851.jpg
    DSC08851.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Don't solder the mosfets. just mount pcb with unsoldered mosfets. adjust and mount mosfets. solder now mosfets. unmount again, add 6 lytics and add isolation pads. final mount.
The shorter the pins the better the stability. If using 5mm distance holders it is optimal. cooling doesn't better if you add more distance...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.