room gain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
point 3 is good. I had a conversation with a friend regarding the use of four subs in each corner. If one used an all-pass network (phase shift with respect to frequency) separately on the rears, it should be possible to steer any room modes outside of the sweet spot. In other words, the rears would be used to act as cancellations to some room behavior.

The idea sounds like fun to try, though my living room at home is sub-optimal due to it being open to the kitchen on the left side.

2/ 1st reflections are to be preserved (and their FR as close to the direct radiation as possible)
3/ you need at least 2 subwoofers and they should be mono.

dave

Nice ones. The second is very strange (but won't ask you to explain, as i guess it's a very long explanation.
About the third, i think it's not necessair for them to be mono. A guys who works in this field told me that for the most recording techniques (if not all), the bass are practically mono. So there should be no real need to set them mono.

So you say that first reflections are bad while creating music (recording studio), and that they are fine while reproducing music?

Toole's recommendation is not a radical new concept. The only major difference is treatement of the first lateral reflections. He says it's beneficial for stereo and optional for multichannel.
If you don't want to read his book then you'll find his basic statements here:
http://harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Technologyleadership/Documents/Scientific Publications/13686.pdf

Here's a more detailed description of a "Toole room":
Olive Munich AES Presentation on Harman Reference Room

Best, Markus

You cant fix the room, the modes will allways be present to some extend. You can put in alot of absorption and smooth them, but ultimately, some eq will be necessary for a perfect response. Besides, what is easier and cheaper... Ripping apart a whole living room and rebuilding it or setting up a few parametric eq's?

Hi!

Before you made a room you have to simulate it; a golden ratio will avoid most of the problems.

After the room is built you have to do your best efforts to fix it, many times at more cost than the built costs making it first.

That's why we can learn acoustics in order to avoid most of the problems.

Simular with the speaker box. Make it right.

You certainly will be recomnpensated.

I followed the receipt...
Regards,

Hi!

Before you made a room you have to simulate it; a golden ratio will avoid most of the problems.

Golden Ratio won't fix any of the problems. The only thing that will help is building your room with completely non-parallel walls, like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also, flat floor and sloping ceiling. That should eliminate most standing waves from your room.

Hi!

Alles blau in Munchen?

Several times I've heard that statement: -non parallel walls...

Thanks for your words.

But Mr. Alton Everest tells the opposite.

When you try the golden ratio that's the only way you can have some control of the standing wawes, and calculate the fundamental frequencies and it's harmonics, just in order to avoid redundances and so minimize the peaks and valleys in the spectrum...

Maybe that's why the EAW's SB850 are so good loudspeakers that they came on out of phase...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6100/img0807ar.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
You cant fix the room, the modes will allways be present to some extend. You can put in alot of absorption and smooth them, but ultimately, some eq will be necessary for a perfect response. Besides, what is easier and cheaper... Ripping apart a whole living room and rebuilding it or setting up a few parametric eq's?

An EQ can not change the modal behavior of a room. If the output of your speakers are heavy at 50Hz, sure, use an EQ to fix that. If your room has a build-up at the listening position at 50Hz, don't use an EQ to fix that. You should install some bass traps instead.

let's say the variance at some problem frequency is 10dB from one side of the couch to the other. Using an EQ does nothing to change the variance problem.

With enough force, I can use a hammer to drive a screw, but it isn't the correct tool.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.