Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair advice

Hi
I have upgraded my UPD05, 4MB stock memory to 64MB , CF card storage (only 504MB of 2GB card is usable...) and installed win98. UPD software works in the DOS mode(without windows) but doesn't work in the win98 DOS window at first. Also dos mode from pif file crashed at terminating UPD software by system button.
In win98 dos window the mysterious VMM32 process occupies whole UMB space. This is why UPD software doesn't work, it requires some free UMB memory. This VMM32 problem is rarely reported on the internet but I found a solution in a old windows tweaking website.
In the C:\windows\system.ini , [Enh386] section, put LocalLoadHigh=1 .
According to the website VMM32 squeezes rest UMB memory on the virtual 8086 environment (DOS window) and recover them to normal windows environment memory to save some unused memory.(to save less than 200kB?) This option leave the memory for the DOS window.
After the ini tweak not all the VMM32 memory but enough UMB are freed. Not yet tested whole, UPD software works in the win98 DOS window now.
An dissatisfaction is sluggish slow boot. I think it is due to the slow ISA-IDE bus speed. The motherboard have faster VL bus but VL bus IDE or SCSI card are hard to find in japan, because IBM PC-AT compatible architecture is not yet dominant at 486 days, an NEC corporation's local architecture PC98 series without VLB and ISA were top share since win95.

Last edited:
If you can get your UPD to me I can work on it for you - I have 3 UPD's in the lab so easy to swap cards etc. to help locate the issue.

I've gained quite a bit of experience over the years keeping these units operational...

Hi John !

I would like to contact you by PM, but i can't...

JohnW has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Hi Sync,
I had gotten a VLbus IDE card but I got just 3MB/s speed so I forget windows.thanks.

Why I want windows are networking on background, ie multitasking with UPD control software. Plain DOS are not able to do that. Just networking on DOS, FTP server of mTCP worked but really slow 10kB/s, I don't know why. SMB by microsoft network client 3.0 worked and much faster but they have compatibility issue with modern windows file sharing. (worked with win10 but not easy plug and play...it was trial and error)
Let a CF card removable seems more easier and faster option. I orderd CF-IDE adapter fits on extension card slot on ebay.

I also tried DR-DOS, a MS-DOS compatible OS with multitasking. But both UPD and network software didn't work on multitasking enabled. It may be less well handling intrrupts than windows.

I reserched the PC motherboard of the UPD and turned out Abit AH4T.

Sinja,

Do you have the IEEE card in your UPD? Can you talk in background with
GPIB? or use GPIB to control remotely?

GPIB looks to be a nice way to have equipment talk to each other, but
the expense...Controllers, cables, software, interface issues.

It's all very specialized and costly.

Reminds me of the good old days using "sneaker net"
where you stuck it on a floppy disk (remember those) and
walked to a 'puter with printer or graphics capability etc.

Cheers,

Last edited:
It's been a long time....EMI Filter blew up and the switching PSU had some issues (leak caps). Now it runs stable but with the old issue. No functional DOS (forget those grappy solutions offered on some sites). Neither DOS 6.22 or 5 (which I would prefer) is installable. The old software Vers. 2.94 seems to be installable, not the 3.10 (mismatch in date). Now I know why its better to use an old AP Sys one :rolleyes:

Now,I have "updated" my UPL06。That PC motherboard is TMC AI5VG+,CPU IDT WHINCHIP C6 225MHZ runing 133mhz,i changed to intel pentium 150mhz running 133mhz,and added USB interface socket in the real plate,and successfully installed win98 。doss6.22 and win98 double boot ,pressing F8 can enter statrtup menu ,if chose previous ms dos,can be diretly enter UPL test interface ,and enter win98 diretly without pressing f8 or choose normal.UPL CANNOT RUNING IN WIN.

Now,I have "updated" my UPL06。That PC motherboard is TMC AI5VG+,CPU IDT WHINCHIP C6 225MHZ runing 133mhz,i changed to intel pentium 150mhz running 133mhz,and added USB interface socket in the rear plate,link to TMC motherboard's J1 connector .I also installed One ps2 mouse socket in the back plate,link to TMC J4.Then i successfully installed win98 and doss6.22 double boot ,by pressing F8 can enter statrtup menu ,if chose previous ms dos,can be diretly enter UPL test interface ,and enter win98 diretly without pressing f8 or choose normal.UPL CANNOT RUNING IN WIN.

Hi
I have upgraded my UPD05, 4MB stock memory to 64MB , CF card storage (only 504MB of 2GB card is usable...) and installed win98. UPD software works in the DOS mode(without windows) but doesn't work in the win98 DOS window at first. Also dos mode from pif file crashed at terminating UPD software by system button.
In win98 dos window the mysterious VMM32 process occupies whole UMB space. This is why UPD software doesn't work, it requires some free UMB memory. This VMM32 problem is rarely reported on the internet but I found a solution in a old windows tweaking website.
In the C:\windows\system.ini , [Enh386] section, put LocalLoadHigh=1 .
According to the website VMM32 squeezes rest UMB memory on the virtual 8086 environment (DOS window) and recover them to normal windows environment memory to save some unused memory.(to save less than 200kB?) This option leave the memory for the DOS window.
After the ini tweak not all the VMM32 memory but enough UMB are freed. Not yet tested whole, UPD software works in the win98 DOS window now.
An dissatisfaction is sluggish slow boot. I think it is due to the slow ISA-IDE bus speed. The motherboard have faster VL bus but VL bus IDE or SCSI card are hard to find in japan, because IBM PC-AT compatible architecture is not yet dominant at 486 days, an NEC corporation's local architecture PC98 series without VLB and ISA were top share since win95.
I think you starting your UPD in win98 so slowly thereason maybe the CFHDD .I CANNOT install win98 in SSD,When I install win98 to reboot, it will crash at verifying dmi pool data.But i successfuly installed win98 by changing hdd to normal mechanical hdd,3.2g toshiba,60g fujitsu etc.

Well, I had successfully installed win98 to my UPD and ran the UPD controll software both on the DOS boot mode and DOS window as I wrote. (although some unknown noise appeared on the screen...)

The slow disk issue is due to my UPD's IDE interface is pre ATAPI standard thus doesn't support any DMA, only programmed IO. The speed I tested was typical value for such hardware, as I searched and confirmed on the VOGONS old PC hardware forum.
DMI pool data issue are commonly found on google search but I couldn't find definite cause and solution. It may depend on the CF card or SSD model or, how formatting, do not sure why... I used transcend's industrial CF card CF100i series 2GB.(used one!)
Anyway your UPL control software also may be able to run on the DOS window. Did you copied config.sys and autoexec.bat lines from the stock DOS? Win98 DOS mode boot is backward compatible to DOS 6 so it likely run on the mode. It is good start point to tweak windows if you challenge it.

Win 3.1 may be more suitable, because it is lighter, enough function as multitasking and file sharing via network, viewing screenshots and even MS word and excel? lol but without USB. I don't have genuine win3.1 so I have no motivation to try them.

I have installed IDE-CF card on the expansion slot so one card is removable now. BUT! the BIOS doesn't search IDE devices every boot, so when I put a new card, it must be detected in the BIOS setting screen before boot to DOS, and if I removed the card it also must be removed in the BIOS screen, else it cannot boot! What a old least kind BIOS.

UPD / looking for service manuals, GPIB, ...

Greetings,

I just bought one faulty UPD and am waiting for it to arrive.
In the mean time, I could find the operating manual and I'm now looking for the service manuals as well.
I noticed JohnW posted dropbox links for those files on the first page of this thread but these do not work anymore.

I'd be grateful if you (JohnW) would be kind enough to repost these, (or somebody else).

Also the unit I got has no GPIB card, but I figure the UPD is PC-AT/MSDOS based, so some standard AT-GPIB should work, and possibly R&S have just rebranded a COTS one.
Unfortunately, from the operating manual, it seems that some of the IRQ/INT/DMA are somewhat non standard :mad:

Anyone with GPIB UPD willing to take good pictures of that board, so that I try to identify it? That would be awesome...

Many thanks in advance for all,
Fred

Hi Fred
I checked my UPD's GPIB board. It is not generic one. That's R&S's proprietary board as marked "R&S" on the board. It consist of a large DIP IC may be NAT7210? and a ROM like IC and bunch of 74 logic ICs. I think it is hard to make a compatible board if you intended.

Attachments

• DSCN0342.jpg
    DSCN0342.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0344.jpg
    DSCN0344.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 298
Hi Shinja,
thanks a lot for those picture. Very much appreciated.
I don't think I'll have to make a copy since in the mean time I found that the old (1991) National PCII/PCIIA interface board supports the required DMA channel, IRQ/INT and address ranges, in either 7210 or 9914 modes, so it should work, just from outside the box. Well I hope so, and drivers are easily available as well.
It is cheap enough that I can easily give it a try... and I'll report the outcome.

Now I've received the and powered the UPD. The fault is a probably easy to fix non starting PSU.
I still have not found the service manuals and JonhW seems to have vanished. Did you get the one posted here a few years back? In which case you will get my eternal thanks for sending them to me :)
Many thanks for all.
Fred