Rogers 3 5A diy kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are some nice examples out there but Im looking for one in particular that was discussed in a thread about a year ago, Im having no luck with search. I need help on the name. This kit went for around 300 and I would like to order one.

And if you could be so kind as to post pictures and a little info on some you have built we could start a dedicated picography on those fine little speakers (since we all like pictures that is :D)

Lynn Olson, who is a guy I listen to, reckons the Vifa P13WH-00-08 is plain better than the B110:

Bextrene Midbass

This is an acetate plastic derived from wood pulp, and is typically damped by a layer of doping material on the front of the cone to control the strong first resonance it displays around 1.5 kHz. It was originally developed by the BBC in 1967 to replace paper with a more consistent and predictable material for monitoring purposes. It came into widespread use in the early Seventies, with the typical audiophile speaker using a 8" KEF or Audax Bextrene midbass driver with an Audax 1" soft-dome tweeter.

The BBC-derived designs always employed notch-filter equalization to flatten the Bextrene driver in the midband; the most famous (or infamous, depending on whether you were the listener or the designer) driver was the KEF B110 used in the BBC LS 3/5a minimonitor. Not everyone knows that this speaker, which is legendary for its sweet midrange, employs a deep notch filter with 6dB of attenuation at 1.5kHz to correct the B110.

Over time, Bextrene has been replaced by BBC-developed polypropylene, which gives much flatter response, does not require a layer of doping material, and provides a 3-4 dB increase in efficiency due to the decrease in cone mass. Bextrene is now considered an obsolete material by nearly all speaker designers.

Strengths are: Consistent batch-to-batch, excellent potential imaging (by mid-Seventies standards). Inner resolution higher than many paper cones.

Weaknesses are: Very low efficiency (82-84 dB at 1 meter), requires a strong notch filter in the midband, a "quacky" coloration by modern standards, sudden, unpleasant onset of breakup at not-so-high levels, and numerous resonances at the top of the working band.

Best Examples are: None. Modern designers are not willing to tolerate the low efficiency and the complex notching and shelving equalization required to make these drivers acceptable. Although some traditionalists revere the KEF B110 used in the Rogers LS 3/5a, the uneven response of this driver requires the LS 3/5a crossover to be very complex. Having worked with the B110 for many years, I feel the modern Vifa P13WH-00-08 is superior in every way.

The Art of Speaker Design, Part II

Sadly, they don't make that one anymore...:mad:

Lynn Olson, who is a guy I listen to, reckons the
Vifa P13WH-00-08 is plain better than the B110:

Hi,

Chalk and cheese, the Vifa is the definitive
small bassmid of the period by a long way.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW the LS3/5A used a B110 selected off
the lower side of the bell curve of typical
B110 production, which meant its driver
only made commercial sense if KEF could
still sell the rest of the production of the
B110 in their models or to other parties.

The bell curve being the amount of peaking.

Last edited:
Now these look VERY nice. I picture mine in light maple with subtle grain patterns, understated, nothing too fancy. Maybe birds eye with a non glossy natural finish.

Attachments

• ls35-3.jpg
    ls35-3.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 798
It's a variation of Jeff Bagby's Continuum with different drivers:

https://www.salksound.com/continuum%20-%20home.htm

There's a lot that is different from the BBC LS3/5A. At some point all these speakers become a sort of mere homage to the original. :)

A bigger cabinet makes sense with modern drivers. Jeff uses a metal tweeter too. Then you think, maybe reflex would be easier:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
It's a variation of Jeff Bagby's Continuum with different drivers:

https://www.salksound.com/continuum - home.htm

There's a lot that is different from the BBC LS3/5A. At some point all these speakers become a sort of mere homage to the original. :)

A bigger cabinet makes sense with modern drivers. Jeff uses a metal tweeter too. Then you think, maybe reflex would be easier:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860
Funny. I have just finished my jeff bagby continuum.
they aer break in as we speak.
they sound really good right now, like amazingly good especially since they need to break in. they totally disapear, the highs are some of the best I heard. I'll add more details in a week!

I see what you are saying, I much preferred the sound of my Ls3/5a to my copies using same enclosures and construction, I.e 12mm birch ply, bitchumin sheet panel dampening and beech baterns all things meant to contribute to the sound of the ls3 but with different drivers. It was the ls3/5a that got me into diyaudio.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/25590-diyaudio-reference-speaker-project-36.html#post2795457

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/25590-diyaudio-reference-speaker-project-35.html#post2794057

I built a kit based on Dalesford drivers that where "similar" to the KEF, the design was published in Practical HiFi I think. The worst speakers I have ever had. Everyone that listened to them remarked "what is wrong with them". Low effiency, a worse peak than the KEF driver more eq in the crossover and no dynamics at all in the end.

In my opinion the KEF 101 sounded better than the LS3/5A. That big hump 100-150 Hz might work well in it's intended application as a nearfield monitor but in a living room, not so much.

It's extraordinary and impressive that Falcon have put replica B110s and T27s back into production. Brand new LS3/5a speakers can be built by DIYers again. Something of a labour of love for Malcolm Jones I expect. Another interesting option for this kind of small speaker is another of Jeff Bagby's designs, the Piccolo, which uses SB Acoustics drivers, from Meniscus in the USA.

Hi
What is your ultimate aim with this project Nostalgia or performance?
If nostalgia LS3/5a cabinet kits, drivers, crossovers and parts.
makes an exact replica. If you love the sound of the original this is the best you will do. If you want maximum performance The Kef LS50 will simply blow it away. heck my Silver Flute W14RC25-08 & XT25 custom 2 ways will eat em for breckie forget em by lunch and turn them into a nicely coiled stool by dinner. They do have a very addictive mid range that sounds like no other and can throw a spooky precise image but in the performance stakes they have been left behind. Sobering to know that progress over the last 40 years has been by smaller increments than most imagine. Hence their continued popularity

I've no desire to reproduce the LS3/5a but the cabinets have always been good.

For use with a Jordan Eikona fullrange driver, I bought a pair of Stirling Broadcast cabinets, which are based on the BBC Kingswood reference LS3/5a, featuring 9mm thin-wall cabinets. They are not cheap but are supplied fully-veneered and the quality is superb.

Stirling Broadcast - LARGEST STOCK OF USED/EX-DEMO/END OF LINE BROADCAST EQUIPMENT IN EUROPE !

They produce full LS3/5a kits using modern drive units, which are available on their eBay shop. If none are currently listed, send them an email as they're very helpful.

A history lesson is interesting with the LS3/5A. It was designed to be used in BBC broadcast vans. Hence the bass quality could be compromised. And it is compromised very severely. It's really a more accurate MONITOR version of the KEF Cresta here lovingly restored by Mr. Ives, a diyaudio member.

I don't think that sort of speaker will really please you at home in a bigger room. If you want to do your homework, it's very hard to find drivers like that any more. The Vifa D19TD Mylar dome might be close to a T27 in tonality. A Peerless 830860 is quite similar to the B110.

I could have a bash at that sort of thing. FWIW, Troels Gravesen implements a crossover below for accurate 5" monitors which, IMO, has great similarity to the BBC filter, down to the midrange notch, third order tweeter filter and Zobel.

SEAS 5INCH

Nothing stopping you building a ply cabinet, but I'd make it much bigger than the puny 5 litres of the LS3/5A. Unless you live in a van, of course. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.