• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Roender's FC-100 Rev.1 Group-Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen, I am thinking about offering more of the "hard-to-get" components that you need to build the FC-100.
So you do not need to order from MOUSER, FARNELL, B&D, ... and this will save you a lot of shipping costs.
I will do a "small group-buy" for all who want to have these parts.

1) Capacitor C1 (according to me naming conventions), which is a Vishay MKP1839.
Only FARNELL offers the 160V version. The other versions will not fit on the PCB. Price per piece:about 1€

2) Decoupling Capacitor C15: AndrewT. suggests to use a 3.3µF - 3.9µF in this place. The max. grid is 15mm.
I did not find any Poly-carbonate type (like WIMA FKC) in the net; I did not find suitable Polypropylene (MKP) caps with a grid of 15mm.
Vishay / BC MKT 468 might be a good choice, bypassed (on the solder-side) by a Vishay MKP1837 / 22nF.
Any other idea?
Can be ordered from Farnell; price per pair is about 2.50€

3) Genuine Toshiba 2SA1360 / 2SC3423; you need 5 x 2SC3423 and 4 x 2SA1360 per PCB. The price will be about 2€ (2.50$) per pair.
But we have to be fast with this; B&D only has a small (enough for all?) quantity on stock.
Does anybody know another source for genuine Toshibas?
When I built my FC-100 prototype, I used transistors produced by ISC. "They did it as well", but who knows.

Emitter resistors (0R10, 5 Watt, MPC74 type) and the NJLs are already part of the order.

Did I forget any "hard-to get" part? I believe not.
Do you approve that I offer to order these components above for you and enclose them in your letters?

Find attached the resulting order.

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• Image2.png
    Image2.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 394
.............2) ........ Capacitor C15: AndrewT. suggests to use a 3.3µF - 3.9µF in this place. The max. grid is 15mm...............
not decoupling. DC blocking or high pass filter.
You can go smaller. Use 470nF, or 1uF, or 1u5F, or 2u2F.
Select what you want as the HP filter frequency. There are many out there that do not agree that response down by 1dB @ 4Hz is necessary. You can adopt a much higher F-1dB frequency. Maybe as high as 20Hz.

What about more pin pitch options?

Since the "DC-blocking" capacitor C15 on the input does not seem to be a "difficult" component and everybody of you
will use his own favourite (if at all), I deleted this item from the order list.

What about C1, the MKP1839 / 1µF? Available from FARNELL only ?!
What about genuine Toshibas 2SA1360 / 2SC3423? Available from B&D Enterprise?

Gentlemen: I myself do not have any profit when I order the components for you.
You can order them yourselves, you know the sources.

But let me tell you a typical DIY - anecdote:
Some time ago I ordered several transistors, which I needed urgently, from B&D (just as an example). I looked at the prices: well, o.k.,
but then I noticed the shipping cost to Germany: 20$. I grit my teeth (correct English?).
When I received the letter, I had to pay another 10$ import tax.

I offer you to divide shipping costs and taxes by the number of participants.
That is it.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Mr. Rudi, You shouldn,t have to explain this to anyone,,Let them get it from whomever they want. And of course pay thePrice.. Evette

I second that! You're already doing more than a great job for everyone. I suggest a few people to do GB per regions. This will make it much easier on Rudi.

After all, you wouldn't want to guy to get tired of all this extra work and not want to offer any more boards in the future, right?

Just a thought
Do

Joseph, Do, thank you for your kind words.
But do not worry about me.
Since I have retired 2 months ago, time isn't a factor for me anymore, and I want my brains to stay alive and active :).

I am currently "promoting" 2 AMPs in this forum: the SYMASYM and this one, Mihai's FC-100.
I am currently not yet able to "compare their sounds", but I try to arrange a listening session with some of my German AUDIO-friends.
The contestants will be: an Ayre V-5xe (commercial product), the FC-100 and the TO3-SYMASYM.
I will tell you the results, in case I succeed arranging this "shootout".

You may be right: everybody shall do his best and not rely on me.
It may even be that my "component" offer isn't the best one.
For example: somebody pointed me on this ebay-offer:

5x 2SA1360-Y & 5x 2SC3423-Y Toshiba Audio Transistors, A1360, C3423. | eBay

The cases look authentic, the price is better than the price of B&D, free shipping, 100% positive feedback, ...
Allthough I do normally not recommend to buy transistors from Hongkong ( I have had bad luck and bought fakes some time ago),
this offer looks quite serious.
You need 2 x 5 pairs to complete your FC-100 build. It is up to you.
I have deleted the Toshiba transistors from my component offer.

I have changed the price for shipping to 5.50€, since I will ship all letters with an order of >100€ as registered / ensured letters.

Find enclosed the current order status. If it needs corrections, please tell me.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 352
This is the shunt-PCB, looked at from above, "seen-through".
The red tracks mean: solder a wire manually.
These 3 wires have not been worth - in my eyes - to order a double-sided PCB.

You have various grid-options for the capacitors.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 318
Join desire

Dear Rudi,

It is a year that I'm collecting material to decide if to go with a tube amp or a solid state one, and the result was to build a hybrid one. That's why, in these months, I'm collecting components in order to build Ciuffoli's Amp End (Amplifier End by Andrea Ciuffoli) or Yuriy Nagorny hybrid (??????????? • ?????? ?????).

Anyway it is really impossible to decide on paper between "Amazing tube sound" (with quite big THD) or "THD excellence" (with "flat" Transistor sound)?

Probably the best is to build both and listen the result... possibly without invest a lot of money...

Anyway it is some time that I look with great interest at this amp, since its pubblication from Roender, and one year ago ordered from on-semi 10 NJL0281 and 10 NJL0302; plus, on ebay, bought some sk170 and SA1360 and SC3423 (hoping that they are not fakes).

This seems to me a great opportunity to get good PCBs so, if possible, I would like to join to this group buy. From above considerations I would like to limit my request to:

2 AMP PCB
2 Shunt PCB
2 LS Protect PCB
1 Soft Power-on PCB
6 0R1 resistors
1 capacitor MKP 1839

Sorry, but I never take part on a similar GB, so if You are so kind to explain me how it works (how to pay, when will the material will be ready, etc). - even through a Private Message, so not to bother other members...

Kind Regards

Fabrizio

Fabrizio,

you are very welcome! I put down your request into my EXCEL-sheet - see the image attached.

I will close this group-buy in one week (weekend 22nd / 23rd of September).
I will not accept any new request/order after this date.
I will then wait, until you PAYPAL'ed me (at latest until weekend 29th / 30th).
I will order the PCBs and components (1µF capacitor, 0R1 emitter resistor, NJL transistors) then.
The lead time for the PCBs is 12 days, meaning: I expect to have the PCBs by October 13th/14th in my hand and will send to you all
the components (PCBs, capacitors, emitter resistors, NJLs, ...) according to your order.

I will send to you all the "FC-100 Builder's Manual" next weekend.

Do you have any further question?

If you have a question that I am not able to answer: maybe you can contact ANTO.
ANTO is an Italian guy, who is going to build the FC-100 as well and whom I appreciate very much.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Hi Rudi!

Please count me in for a stereo set of the power transistors and emitter resistors.

Regarding the other transistors:
I ordered the Toshibas from BG-Electronics and they look pretty genuine to me. But I don't know about their current batch, so better ask before buying.
And for the SymAsym I ordered 2sk170 matched quads from eBay Kondensatoren, Röhren Artikel im Himmels Röhren Shop Shop bei eBay!. Offset is only a few millivolts with these so I hope it's ok ;)

Thanks again for this great group buy!
-Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.