Rodek 275i (ZED Audio) amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok back to basics for a second so i dont blow anything up that I dont want to replace. I just want to confirm; Q1 is an 2SA1038 PNP transistor. Leg 1 is the emitter, Leg 2 is the collector, and Leg 3 is the base? You think it is safe for me to short Legs 1 and 3?

Datasheet
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/83333/ROHM/2SA1038S.html

It looks like C5 is connected directly to legs 1 & 3 and has posibly been replaced at one point.

Last edited:
OK, I felt confident enough after posting that and looking at the datasheet for a bit. Shorting Legs 1 & 3 allowed the amp to power up sucessfully; but removing the bridge while powered on throws the amp into protect mode. I tested C5 off the PCB and its good.

See attached. Check for leakage and confirm that all resistors are within tolerance.

Attachments

• autotekprnw2network.gif
    autotekprnw2network.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 215
Leaving the PRNW2 off the PCB indeed does allow the amp to power up - Not in protection.

Do you think there might be more leaking components inside the ANW7s? I still have the 8k2 resistors jumping the outer two detached pins on the PCB of each module.

Last edited:
On the LM358 (And with the PRNW2 off the PCB). Should I be seeing these voltage readings?

LM358; IC3
1: 0.008
2: 5.5
3: 0.008
4: 0
5: 5.5
6: 9.7
7: 0.008
8: 10.98

With the PRNW2 back in the PCB and the amp in protection mode the LM358 measures this:
LM358; IC3
1: 9.4
2: 5.5
3: 11
4: 0
5: 5.5
6: 9.7
7: 0.008
8: 11.08

The only two readings I get off Q1 iswhen I reference COM of the meter to Leg 3. Testing from Leg 3 to Legs 1 or 2 gives 4M ohms. There is no leakage; IE in reverse and all other orientations the meter shows OL.

B-E (Red on E) gives me 4M ohms.
B-E (Red on B) is OL

B-C (Red on C) gives me 4M ohms.
B-C (Red on B) is OL

E-C in either direction gives OL

From this, Q1 has good mesurment and no leakage.

199469d1291491449-rodek-275i-zed-audio-amp-autotekprnw2network.gif

I can do that. Just did it actually with sergical scissors. I verified with DVM that diode leg is detached; and of course I can put it back with a little solder when done.

Unfortunately the amp still goes right in to protection mode.

Last edited:
That disconnects the module from the rest of the over-current circuit so it appears that the module may have problems. Removing Q1/2 disconnected the module from the DC offset circuit and the amp still went into protect. Those are the only two protection circuits driving the module.

It's a simple circuit so I'd suggest that you reproduce it using discrete parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.