Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Playing around with PS95-8 FAST

Here is a FAST using the Dayton Audio PS95-8 driver in a Nautaloss with trapezoid baffle. XO is 225Hz LR -24dB/oct.

474429d1427599240-rockin-kazba-dipole-k-aperture-z-baffle-dipole-kazba-8in-ps95-8-fast.png

Freq response (grey is no EQ) and XO shape:

474430d1427599240-rockin-kazba-dipole-k-aperture-z-baffle-dipole-ps95-8-kazba-fast-xo.png

Impulse response:

474431d1427599240-rockin-kazba-dipole-k-aperture-z-baffle-dipole-ps95-8-kazba-fast-ir.png

It sounds very nice - the EQ helped to get rid of the sizzle/ringing.

Attachments

• Kazba-8in-PS95-8-FAST.PNG
    Kazba-8in-PS95-8-FAST.PNG
    402 KB · Views: 1,119
  • ps95-8-kazba-fast-xo.png
    ps95-8-kazba-fast-xo.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,123
  • ps95-8-kazba-fast-ir.png
    ps95-8-kazba-fast-ir.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,102
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What speakers are you using in Kazba?

The drivers for the dual 8 inch KaZba are described in an earlier post in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/271011-rockin-kazba-dipole-k-aperture-z-baffle-dipole-4.html#post4254747

$10 buyout units from PE. They are kind of cheap - the surrounds on some are becoming unglued from the cone - nothing a bit of hot melt glue can't fix. But that should not be happening to brand new drivers. Also, the surrounds and cone, and dustcap just have a cheap plasticky feel to them. These do not feel as good as the $5 buyout 6.5 in polycone woofers that I bought previously (same drivers as the ones used in the Dayton B652's). Those were a great deal and had more quality to them. Having said that, the TS parameters advertised are quite accurate. That is, the Qts is in the mid 0.5's and the fs is about right. When put into a KaZba, the bass performance is astonishing (solid 30Hz bass extension in dipole) for $20 worth of drivers.

If you wanted to do this right, and have some money to spend, the Dayton RS225-8 ($57 ea) would be a killer driver to use in a parallel 4-ohm setup for push pull. The 7mm xmax, and 0.38 Qts, with 29Hz fs is ideal. Also, it is a quality unit with great cast frame, copper shorting ring, and stiff aluminum cone. Used in an 18mm BB ply KaZba - would be something to hear.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The PA310-8 is a nice looking driver with 97dB sensitivity and 5mm xmax with a kick butt motor. It's some coin though:) not your cheap I don't care if don't work driver anymore. However, I believe the $10 drivers have proven that this concept works and a suitable driver upgrade is in order. I actually have quite a respect for Dayton Audio drivers now. Each one I have tested and used have proven to be high quality, well built, great value, and sounds excellent. RS100's, PS95-8, PA130-8 all great drivers. I expect the PA310 to be just as good.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
After all my builds and designs so far - this is one that's really surprised me with how simple and effective it is. If you like open baffle dipole but not the huge baffle - this may be the ticket. Cover with grill cloth in front and back and it looks like any other conventional rectangular prism speaker. The OB dipole top doesn't have to be wide at all. In fact, same width as the 12in wide box is a great size for a suitable FAST XO somewhere in the 350Hz range. I think the design I have can have improved upper bandwidth by making it shallower and aperture larger. The ratio of area over volume controls the upper bandwidth falloff. If right now I am at 200Hz and I want 350Hz then I need to decrease depth by 200/350 or about 5 inches total depth. Now this may pose some problems for depth of basket and magnet so we can increase size of aperture say by 50% going up higher and maybe an inch wider on each side to 10in at bottom and the depth can be decreased to about 7in from 9in. OTOH, if you have a fancy shallow basket woofer maybe with Nd magnets this may be just fine. Something cool about a thin speaker too. I really have been a little lazy in modeling this in Akabak and combined with fact I was Akabak-less for almost 2 months did not help. The model will show exactly where the depth and aperture size needs to be set. Anyhow, to achieve 700Hz with the AMT tweeter is asking too much - just need to go no K aperture but keep Z baffle.

Last edited:
Oh, for the upper range, that'd be a bad news for my larger version in plan. My woofer (18") is 20cm deep. I hope it can be useful up to, at least 240Hz or so.

So, in a regular K, HF is radiating directly from the driver, with lower mid and bass loaded by the wings. Is that right?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well it depends on the ratio of the cross sectional area of the aperture to the volume. So a larger driver will have a larger K aperture. So it's very similar to your existing slot loaded woofers that you currently have - they act as band pass devices. In the extreme case one can put a volume filler custom cone body in the volume in the front cone to reduce the volume and increase the bandwidth. So just because you have 18in drivers is not automatically bad. I know that 18in drivers in a push pull opposed geometry slot loaded sub has a limitation though as the minimum slot channel length is 18in plus clearance of 2in for 20in. That is 0.508 meters and the quarter wave resonance is 167Hz so that max upper freq of PPSL force canceling setup is 167Hz. In KaZba I don't think you have this limit.

In the case of a 20cm deep chamber in a KaZba - that is same as 427Hz quarter wave - and it is better because the K aperture makes the hard boundary of the chamber depth less of an issue. This is one reason to have your K aperture go the entire length of the speaker rather than truncated short like how I did it.

Last edited:
My current woofers, yes, but not AE. They are modified Eminence SigmaPro18. (I can't sell them locally, so just have to keep using them, oh well)

I'm starting the drawing in AutoCAD and will take your suggestions.

Don't hold your breath, though. I'm 10^-n times slower than you. :eek:

Your new box is beautiful. I like the colors.

Your Sigma18 seems not a regular one. Maybe there had been several versions. Mine is 130g Mms and 0.27 Qts. I don't know how the Mms changed after the mods -- several coats of PVA glue on both sides and de-cap. And, the spider is softened by silicon oil. The fs drops from 27Hz stock to 22Hz. And then to 16Hz by slot-loaded (slot of 40% Sd or so).

interesting mods for sure - especially the silicon oil - what product does one look for ? - what sonically do you think was the effect of PVA? - was it the consistency of Modpodge thinned 50/50? - I have another set of thicker (and more straight profile) cone EM18 with mms 130g and fs~23 sold under "Electar"

Last edited:
On other lighter cones playing higher, PVA coating makes the the sound cleaner, less noisy. But on this big dumb woofer, TBH I can't detect any difference. And I haven't used Modpodge so I don't know how they compare.

Dropped fs does have some effect. It digs deeper indeed, but also hit the 6 mm Xmax sooner. For HT stuff, I have to cut LF below 30Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.