Ridiculously "stiff" sub !! what is the point?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

jnb said:

Thank you, I was wondering that. Could you mention the disadvantages of this when using pro drivers for HiFi?

Harder or impossible to get really deep bass extension even with 15 and 18 inch drivers. Cabinets are often larger. The resultant much improved efficiency and reduced distortion however is the reward.

Also a `disadvantage` for those that plan to keep their quality speakers for a lifetime, the surrounds are not cheap, stupid foam and will last forever in home use and then still be entirely fine to those who inherit them 50 years from now. Oh what, that is actually another `advantage`. :smash:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Just a thought- yesterday I was servicing several stacks of Turbosound Floodlight PA gear. One lowmid 12" driver was producing very low volume and distorting, so I pulled it out and put it on the bench. On further inspection, the magnet had shifted, (due to being dropped I assume), and the cone was virtually solid - even putting all my weight on the cone it wasn't moving perceptibly, just flexing around my fingers.

Could this be your problem?

pinkmouse said:
Just a thought- yesterday I was servicing several stacks of Turbosound Floodlight PA gear. One lowmid 12" driver was producing very low volume and distorting, so I pulled it out and put it on the bench. On further inspection, the magnet had shifted, (due to being dropped I assume), and the cone was virtually solid - even putting all my weight on the cone it wasn't moving perceptibly, just flexing around my fingers.

Could this be your problem?

No, he reported that the cone moved in and out freely with no cone or VC rubs. Just stiff.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

@ Anonymous1: No need to be sorry, I knew you meant that type of driver specifically. The reason I posted was for the benefit of those like jnb.

rcavictim said:

Harder or impossible to get really deep bass extension even with 15 and 18 inch drivers. Cabinets are often larger. The resultant much improved efficiency and reduced distortion however is the reward.

Also a `disadvantage` for those that plan to keep their quality speakers for a lifetime, the surrounds are not cheap, stupid foam and will last forever in home use and then still be entirely fine to those who inherit them 50 years from now. Oh what, that is actually another `advantage`. :smash:

Agreed re: efficiency and distortion (though i don't have measurements, more conjecture, to back me up)

I'm not quite sure I follow your meaning in the bottom paragraph, do you mind rephrasing? Pro surrounds usually are tougher than nails, and I think this is what you mean, but want to be sure.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

badman said:

I'm not quite sure I follow your meaning in the bottom paragraph, do you mind rephrasing? Pro surrounds usually are tougher than nails, and I think this is what you mean, but want to be sure.

Huh? I mean FOAM BAD. It rots. Bye bye speaker investment. While it is rotting the speaker characteristic is changing. Pro drivers with their corrugated treated cloth or otherwise corrugated surrounds last virtually forever. I absolutely REFUSE to pay hard earned money for any driver that has a foam surround. IMO the entire DIY audio community should boycott that garbage. If one needs the higher excursion that is the only benefit of foam you can get it with a long lifetime in a modern synthetic rubber roll surround (neoprene, santoprene, etc.). If the market refused to buy this carp these holeasses would stop making it! Hello!

There does that help clarify my stand? You were just edging me on weren`t you?! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

rcavictim said:

Huh? I mean FOAM BAD. It rots. Bye bye speaker investment. While it is rotting the speaker characteristic is changing. Pro drivers with their corrugated treated cloth or otherwise corrugated surrounds last virtually forever. I absolutely REFUSE to pay hard earned money for any driver that has a foam surround. IMO the entire DIY audio community should boycott that garbage. If one needs the higher excursion that is the only benefit of foam you can get it with a long lifetime in a modern synthetic rubber roll surround (neoprene, santoprene, etc.). If the market refused to buy this carp these holeasses would stop making it! Hello!

There does that help clarify my stand? You were just edging me on weren`t you?! :D

Well, maybe a little bit ;)

However, modern foam surrounds aren't quite so bad as you make out, they often have treatments applied to keep them working properly as they age (within reason). Sometimes foam is chosen for reasons other than excursion and affordability. The surround plays a major role in a driver's behavior. Audax PR17OMO has a foam surround, the flat ring surround probably wouldn't work as well with other materials.... it's about as well-regarded a driver as there is.

Badman- rebelling against absolutism since.... whenever.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

rcavictim said:

As the cones are thin, what about breakup? Pro cones often have ribs which I figure smooth the upper response, making it useable. Would you know how I could estimate where even this breakup begins to occur.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

rcavictim said:

1. Most foam-based surrounds are now treated. Not perfection, but a reasonable approach.
2. Foam is more compliant.
3. Foam is less expensive.
4. Foam is less prone to changes in compliance over time, though all mechanical systems are at least a little prone to these problems.

There is nothing about a foam surround that makes it inherently awful to use for a speaker and to suggest otherwise is rather asinine in my opinion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A point of clarification

DevilDriver said:

1. Most foam-based surrounds are now treated. Not perfection, but a reasonable approach.
2. Foam is more compliant.
3. Foam is less expensive.
4. Foam is less prone to changes in compliance over time, though all mechanical systems are at least a little prone to these problems.

There is nothing about a foam surround that makes it inherently awful to use for a speaker and to suggest otherwise is rather asinine in my opinion.

Neil,

Your comment #3.
If you have to pay the same price as the driver cost initially to get the surround replaced after 15 years how is foam less expensive?

I see many home speakers at the local landfill site with rotted out foam surrounds. If they had not been made of foam they would likely still be in use and the owners better off financially and the planet a bit better off too.

As far as you thinking my comments being assenine. Well you are welcome to them and my opinion of foam surrounds stands.
:smash:

*Power handling: 500 watts RMS/700 watts max *VCdia: 3" *Le: 1.35 mH *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency range: 35-150 Hz *Fs: 34 Hz *SPL: 84 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: .60 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.83 *Qes: .65 *Qts: .57 *Xmax: 15.5 mm *Dimensions: A: 10-1/4", B: 9-1/4", C: 5-11/16".

That has to be a defective driver or a mistake.

How about using it as a driver in a big pro-style bass horn? It seems like the stiff suspension would enable it to withstand a ton of punishment, while that incredibly strong motor would work well for driving the horn itself. In fact, from what you described, this would be a perfect driver for a bass horn, with the exception of that crazy-high Qts.

Speaker or electro-piston?

Barring any defects in this driver, what you have is the pinnacle of the Car-audio gang.
The drivers used are nothing more than an electric powered gong,....one note response, grossly ineffecient & not really truely designed for MUSIC.
My RS 12" dual coil sub-woofer is rated for 60WPC (Each coil), at that power level she'll run some half inch or so of travel...moving plenty of air & accurate as well.
Get something else if you want to play music thru it.
If you want to hear good low clean bass, listen to the last thirty seconds of U2s' "Its' a wonderful day"
________________________________________Rick...........

Attachments

• 12sub.jpg
    12sub.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 397
That's an inductance meter, as you correctly inferred. It tests the impedance of a coil at 1kHz to develop an inductance value. I'd suspect your delta-mass parameter measurement, because the mass needs to be very rigidly affixed to the cone, not just placed on it. You essentially need to sacrifice one and glue a weight onto the cone.

Taterworks said:
That's an inductance meter, as you correctly inferred. It tests the impedance of a coil at 1kHz to develop an inductance value. I'd suspect your delta-mass parameter measurement, because the mass needs to be very rigidly affixed to the cone, not just placed on it. You essentially need to sacrifice one and glue a weight onto the cone.

is it ok to say that i dind't get ANYTHING of what you just said ??

i dind't try anything yet ...
got the multimeter and the drivers

what should i do now ?

i won't glue something on the cone dude!
:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.