RIAA Preamp/Line Amp Using Variant of NP LSK170/LSJ74 Folded Cascode Circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Salas, I built a shunt regulator using a buffered TL431 - it's shown at the beginning of my "All-In-One" preamp thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/234596-all-one-preamp-circuit.html

The regulator had reasonably low parts count, but unacceptable hiss when used in conjuction with a cascoded common-source RIAA first stage (no PSRR to speak of). I bodged one of my LED-referenced shunt regulators on to the board in place of the 431 circuit, and the hiss went away.

JG, it's true you can pad down a TL431 with a cap if you're using it as a stand-alone reference, but it'll take a big, big cap, as they have an incremental impedance of about an ohm. It would be interesting to see how quiet you could make an amplified 431 (a 431 with resistive divider slung between cathode, reference, and anode to boost the voltage at the cathode) using an elcap. I haven't tried it yet, as GaAsP LEDs are prettier, they work, and I have tons (and not tons of time to try everything).

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A very large cap patch brings bandwidth Vref Zo implications due to ESL, ESR also, if we are targeting some better way is to start with least noise buried junction or LED ref, although the variable ref that the 431 provides is handy.

I would only do the capacitor padding if i was using the 431 just as a reference, not as an active regulation element/error amplifier inside a feedback loop. Driven with a current source, and used just as a voltage reference, it might actually behave with a big capacitor across it. Having said that, I don't feel especially motivated to throw any time at the concept, as I'm getting good results with LEDs. There's a little bit of "once burned, twice shy" as well.

Edit - the attached picture shows what I'm talking about, for the sake of clarity - and that's all the effort I want to spend on this concept for now...

Attachments

• 431_REF.GIF
    431_REF.GIF
    29.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Quite true, though what might appear initially as a deficit is useful as a soft start/thump eliminator, esp. for single-ended circuits, just as long as nothing weird happens happens during that long, long trudge up the slope to full Vcc... After all, we wait quite patiently for the filaments on our precious vacuum tubes to warm up - at least, I do.

Edit - the capacitor might not be so huge if you set the -3dB point at 50-100 Hz- but then again, if someone is really hot to trot to try such an experiment, they can do so and report results back here or in a separate thread...

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Back to the task at hand

Apologies if I've dragged your thread OT Wrenchone. Although I for one have learnt more about CCS's in the last two days than I expected :eek:

Its a long weekend here so I might knock up a pcb for the line stage and/or do a bit of matching of parts for a build. Current schematic as to where I'm at is below. The discussion around current sources has now gone somewhat over my head, so if there's an obvious improvement over the attached please do say so. That said depletion fets are out as I can't get them here in oz and I'd like to get on with it :)

Attachments

• WrenchLskPwrV2.png
    WrenchLskPwrV2.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 172
ZM/Choky -

I checked out the NT phono preamp you cited a few posts ago to refresh my memory. I'm using a superficially similar design (in concept at least, 2SK170 single sex folded cascode instead of full complementary) as master studio phono preamps for the radio station where I DJ as a hobby. I used passive instead of active EQ, and included an output follower for each stage. The preamps are still going strong after 10 years, though I'm going to replace them soon with a simpler design.

The NT design would need to be updated with matched pairs of K170/J74 jfets, as the matched monolithic devices used in the original design are well-nigh unobtainium.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.