RF & Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why do you want a medical grade filter? They have low leakage because when the equipment is connected to patients, there's a more acute shock hazard. For audio you don't want a medical grade filter, they're compromised for that reason.

Yes , I noticed the tyco med. grades use better caps with lower values , higher resistance values .... trading leakage for HF rolloff and general performance.Yes, Yet another thing to consider. :confused:

OS

When you're using a filter with Y caps (that's the ones from line to earth), your attenuation is only going to get as good as the earth connection you have. Which in most cases is inductive and several uH. So in my view Y caps aren't really worth bothering with - they're impossible if the kit is class II anyway. Ferrites are the way forward.

Well they'll probably be used as the core of the common-mode choke, so they're already there. We just need to make sure they're the right kind. Usually ferrites are chosen for having low loss. Here we definitely want the opposite - ferrite with lots of loss! I wonder if non-laminated steel would have an effect at the lower frequencies, we might need several filters in series each targeting a particular freq band. Higher frequency ones first (nearest the inlet).

We are discussing the "culprits". Let's look at what they do to the mains.

I discussed this subject with a friend and we came to the conclusion that EACH offender on the same line then the hi-fi system must be filtered with a good, discrete RF filter of size proportional to the power consumed.
Prevention sometimes is better than cure.

Besides, a way to filter the GROUND is needed for all audio equipment that do NOT use a SMPS psu themselves.

What's wrong with low leakage? I dont understand how this would be a neg and not a pro...

If you compare the two versions of a pre-built mains filter, the normal one and the medical variant, you'll find there's a difference in rejection of noise. That's because the values of Y capacitors are smaller in the medical variant, hence less HF filtering effect. On reflection, this isn't always bad for audio, its only bad where there's a good earth which can be used as a sink for the interference. If the earth is poor, or non-existent (as for a class II setup for example) then a medical grade filter could well be better.

On reflection, this isn't always bad for audio, its only bad where there's a good earth which can be used as a sink for the interference. If the earth is poor, or non-existent (as for a class II setup for example) then a medical grade filter could well be better.

Here in italy the earth isnt very good.
Now that you mention class II regulation, that could be the reason why a certain british amp sounds so good when you wouldnt say looking at the inside -no dirty ground to pollute it.

Here in italy the earth isnt very good.
Now that you mention class II regulation, that could be the reason why a certain british amp sounds so good when you wouldnt say looking at the inside -no dirty ground to pollute it.

If the earth is not good , pound an 8' (foot) rod in the ground. Get #6 copper wire , create a "technical ground" for 30-40$. (used in recording studios)

OS

I noticed nobody mentioned using shielded speaker cables. Not instrument cables but shielded speaker cables. Do you think they do not help? Waste of money or what?

Older Gibson Les Pauls have a metal "can" that covers the electronics in the back of the guitar so maybe Urgon is on to something with the metal boxes. On an old Les Paul the electronics are mounted on a metal plate and the can fite over the top of it sealing all the electronics inside a metal compartment. The input jack also has a metal can around it and so does the toggle switch.

AVE...
I noticed nobody mentioned using shielded speaker cables. Not instrument cables but shielded speaker cables. Do you think they do not help? Waste of money or what?
In my opinion it's rather overkill. Even if speaker cable picks RF signals, there are no semiconductors to demodulate them and the signals are too weak to move membrane of speaker...
Older Gibson Les Pauls have a metal "can" that covers the electronics in the back of the guitar so maybe Urgon is on to something with the metal boxes. On an old Les Paul the electronics are mounted on a metal plate and the can fite over the top of it sealing all the electronics inside a metal compartment. The input jack also has a metal can around it and so does the toggle switch.
Do you know, why all shortwave transceivers, CB's and normal radios have so many shields inside? Open any car radio and look inside. First of all: the whole radio is in a huge, metal box grounded to car frame. Then RF circuitry is almost always in metal box. I had nice CB radio where whole modulation/demodulation/tuning circuit was in box, and C-class output amplifier had separate box inside that one...

This is all because of engineering need to separate RF modules from low frequency modules and to protect them from all kinds of noise. Ignition coils and alternators generate huge amounts of electromagnetic noise, and this is main reason for shielding. In modern cars all computers are in metal boxes not because they need mechanical protection, but because they need to be shielded from all that radio garbage...

Last edited:
AVE...

I've made simple schematic for RF detection... Millivoltmeter can be replaced by two transistor Darlington amplifier...
BTW, why after some time I can't edit my posts?

Attachments

• RF detector.PNG
    RF detector.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 94
I would reccomend having a look around either of these sites, one US on UK. There will be somthing that covers ALL the topics being discussed. There is a wealth of EMC engineering and knowledge out there. There are articles and design information covering every aspect of EMC engineering.

EMC Journal portal | EMCJUSA

http://www.compliance-club.com/

And the Daddy of EMC Engineering, Henry Ott, if you are serious about EMC you realy require his book as a start point and a reference (Electromagnetic Compatability Engineering).
Tech Tips

Last edited:
Older Gibson Les Pauls have a metal "can" that covers the electronics in the back of the guitar so maybe Urgon is on to something with the metal boxes.

Even my $129 Mexican Strat has some attempts at shielding. Why? First off the signal generated by the guitar is in the millivolt range. It is also quite common to have more than a little extra gain in the preamp section of a guitar amp for that cranked to eleven sound. It is also common for a guitar to be used on a stage that is lit by killowatts of lighting that is fed by 60Hz dimmer circuitry that generates sharp transients with harmonics throughout the audio range. Shielding and humbucking pickups are needed to "keep em seperated."

Do you know, why all shortwave transceivers, CB's and normal radios have so many shields inside?

Shielding technology has come a long way, so has RF design. It is true that many circuits in a radio or other RF design need to be isolated from the other circuits. It has become more important now that we stuff microprocessors and DSP's inside radios. THe digital electronics generate square waves at RF frequencies in the 2.5 to 5 volt peak to peak range. The receiver is trying to pick up signals in the same frequency band that are in the microvolt range, over a million times weaker. Metal cans and multi layer PC boards are your friends here.

In modern cars all computers are in metal boxes not because they need mechanical protection, but because they need to be shielded from all that radio garbage...

When cars first started getting digital fuel injection, the cell phone became popular. I found several cases where a well placed phone inside the passenger compartment could stop a running car. The newer cars with drive by wire have better shielding and RF control. I haven't found one that I could whack with a cell phone yet. I would still be wary of standing in front of a Toyota with a high powered radio!

I noticed nobody mentioned using shielded speaker cables.......In my opinion it's rather overkill.

Agreed it is probably not necessary, except in a few odd cases. I grew up in a house located about 2 blocks away from a 10 KW AM radio station. It got into everything I made. THe entry point was usually the input circuits, especially my early attempts at solid state guitar devices. The old Tone Bender and Fuzz Face circuits don't work in a plastic or wood box! I can't recal having a problem with speaker wiring and that is a near worse case situation. You can always test using a GSM or iDEN cell phone against your speaker wires several feet away from the amp (to aviod direct coupling into the amp).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.