Rewiring a Rega RB250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Replacement bearings are about £4 each from RS components and all 4 are the same. do resist the temptation to try high-precision bearings in standard Rega mounts as the location isn't accurate enough for them and the results will be far worse than ABEC3 bearings. The RS ones are ABEC5 which is a bit tighet for this application, so running them in well before installing them is well worth the effort. [/B]

hi
yes i cant aggree more on this subject...i get a lot of enquires about new bearings on a rega

nice work on the modified bearing area m8ty

best wishes
j7:smash:

jeff spall said:
Hi, providing the arm is completely bare - like no wires or bearings - ordinary piant stripper works very quickly. I used "Nitromors" brand.

I would say that just taking the paint off an otherwise unmodified arm tube actually makes it rather worse than standard!

regards, Jeff

yip and under the paint the casting marks can be seen...the thick black paint rega use hides the true alloy surface
so be prepared to spend some time finishing the bare alloy

hope that helps
best wishes
j7

:smash:

Hi, if you have a little bench grinder, invest in a polishing kit - 6-inch graded mops that replace one of the grinding wheels. A good quallity set will cost about 45 Euro on ebay and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. Arm comes up real shiney in just a few minutes, like:

Attachments

• shiney2.jpg
    shiney2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 845
jeff spall said:

I would say that just taking the paint off an otherwise unmodified arm tube actually makes it rather worse than standard!

regards, Jeff

...so the need to drill the armtube I guess ? And what's about drilling without taking the paint off ? I mean is it just for aesthetics consideration or is there any function rational behind it ?

Pascal

Hi, it's just very hard to do all that stuff to an arm tube without scratching it, hence stripping the paint off!

I guess polishing is just vanity, and painting it again afterwards might be a better idea! I give mine a light coat of clear varnish, but that's just to keep them shiny.
Drilling holes is a very important part of the mods, both for resonance control and to reduce effective mass, Michell and OL have both recently started doing this to their Rega arms. i don't know if there's a best pattern for holes, but any reasonable shape seems to make a big difference.

Jeff

I rewired my RB300 in just 1 hour, without disassembling anything. Mine came from audiogon without wires in it, so I had to re-run a small wire first to pull the new wires.

I used a small wirewrap wire that I ran first into the arm going from the bottom of the toenarm pilar, then through the small hole under the tube (between the axis, the touchy part), then up to the exit at the headshell end.

The new wires were soldered together, then I solder it to the pull wire.

Then I simply pull all the wires back from the pilar entry up to the end of the tonearm tube.

It was easy. Bearing removal is certainly not recommended since you don't have the proper tool to readjust the bearing, etc...

Bye.

Hi, it's said to be an aluminium/magnesium alloy.
Carr's do solders that will work with aluminium:
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk

What I have done is to drill a 0.9 - 1mm hole underneath the arm and tightly press in a small piece of copper wire. You can then easily solder the ground wire to that, running it into the arm through another hole nearby.

The ground wire is really important, as I found when one broke - there was a very noticable
hum!
regards, Jeff

Hi, sorry,
I've been away for the last couple of weeks, and I think there has been a problem with the "william-reed.net" email address - I don't have any emails in the "in" box, but I think it's working now. If not, try "jeff.spall@william-reed.co.uk" instead - I know that's OK.

The kits are progressing slowly, I'm working through a set of ten and so far have the materials, the bearings and a set of arm yokes and I'm gradually building jigs to make the parts. It actually takes far longer to make jigs than to make the parts, but when you're making more than one of anything, it has to be repeatable.

I had just realised that, although I've been using Rega arm tubes, my bearing assembly would work with any home-grown arm tube.

Well done with the drilling Pascal, you mst be more careful at this stuff that I am! I've not filled an arm with foam, although I'd always intended to. The main reason is because I'm still experimenting and once an arm is foam filled, you can't get the wiring out again!

regards, Jeff

jeff spall said:
Well done with the drilling Pascal, you mst be more careful at this stuff that I am! I've not filled an arm with foam, although I'd always intended to. The main reason is because I'm still experimenting and once an arm is foam filled, you can't get the wiring out again!

The tip is to use first a fine drill then to use the hole as a guide for the final drilling

Concerning the foam, I intended to do something "à la Michell". But the problem is that I have already rewired the arm... So unless I can manage to insert some foam into the holes, I fear it's too late...

Please let me know about your offer concerning the bearings. I may be interested.

All the best

Pascal

Attachments

• drilled_arm.jpg
    drilled_arm.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 808
jeff spall said:
I had just realised that, although I've been using Rega arm tubes, my bearing assembly would work with any home-grown arm tube.

This is of great interest to me. I only resorted to modifying the Rega when my home-brewed arm failed to perfom through lack of proper bearings. I reckon your kit would be just the job.

I'd be grateful if you could let me know when you have the kits ready to sell. I've sent you another email as well, just in case.

Regards,

Mike

hi jeff,
long time no see (u replied to an email of mine about bearings a couple of years ago), i checked ur site recently and didnt find these new pics. you're replacing everything but the armtube (on the rega 250) it seems. i would have thought a nice ebony armtube would finish this baby off nicely.

certainly i would be interested in your kits, except i only found this site today (late to the party as usual, but normally with the best p....), and i'm already deep into the "air bearing" arm thread and the copy shroder thread (which Frank (shroder) himself has posted on... he doesn't mind diy copies at all!) . i may just have to build all three i guess. it sure would be interesting to organise a "sound off" between the best arms on this site.

steve

rewiring regas

as far as rewiring a rega, or any arm goes, i dont understand why anyone would lay out 70-100 on a wiring kit, when u can buy buy enough silver litz wire on a roll to do the job for 20 quid.... and copper litz (silver plated), which might sound better(less sharp )....for even less.

just run it down the arm and plait the wires from the arm to the amp, and finish off with a couple of bullet plugs.... 40 quid all in and better quality....

just an idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.