Rewinding radio tuner string?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey redrooster, don't chuck it and certainly don't drill a hole in it.
If all else fails unpick one end of the cord from the pegs, thread it anyhow that pleases you and tie it back on the pegs. You need only the minimum of cord on the big wheel since both ends are anchored there but you will need several turns on the control knob shaft to get grip.
It really can't be rocket science, but those Philips guys were pretty neat all the same.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I didn't read everything in detail but is it possible the white wheel on the tuner is 180 degrees off? Did you remove the wheel from the tuner and possibly put it on wrong?

You can't let a string kick your butt.. LOL

After looking at one of your pics, is it possible that you're wrapping the string the wrong way around the white wheel? Instead of going 90 degrees from the idler pulley around the white pulley, simply go straight from the idler, across the white pulley and around one wrap and proceed to the second pulley. That may make up the difference in the length..

Just a thought..
No, I haven't removed the wheel.I see what you mean tho,it must be the only thing I haven't tried obviously I'm not winding it on right.Going by Murphys law its probably the right solution but its too late now Ive wrapped the string around the wheel and glued it! I'm getting a tuner knob to fit today and that's the bloody end of it. Thanks for the idea tho! Thankyou everyone.

Last edited:
This is with the tuner and cursor set to the low frequency end of the scale with 4 turns around the tuning knob and spring disengaged?

OK, now I am pretty sure you are threading the drum the wrong way.
The way you have it, it looks like the drum is turned fully anticlockwise and the pointer is to the left end of the scale. As the pointer moves to the right, it will try to rotate the drum further anticlockwise which will not work.

The way you have it, the strings enter and leave the drum on the "sides" of the drum. I think the strings need to enter and leave at the bottom.

Try this: Position it with the drum at the bottom (nearest you) and the pointer at the top.
Start at the drum with the string that is not looped through the spring. Put one turn of the string around the drum clockwise.
Pass the string around the lower left pulley and on up to the top left pulley.
Do two (may need one or three) turns around the tuning shaft.
Continue past the next pulley and pointer to the top right pulley.
Pass the string around the lower right pulley onto the bottom of the drum.
If I'm right, it'll either fit exactly or be much too too loose. If it's too loose, it may need another turn around the drum.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
OK, now I am pretty sure you are threading the drum the wrong way.
The way you have it, it looks like the drum is turned fully anticlockwise and the pointer is to the left end of the scale. As the pointer moves to the right, it will try to rotate the drum further anticlockwise which will not work.

The way you have it, the strings enter and leave the drum on the "sides" of the drum. I think the strings need to enter and leave at the bottom.

Try this: Position it with the drum at the bottom (nearest you) and the pointer at the top.
Start at the drum with the string that is not looped through the spring. Put one turn of the string around the drum clockwise.
Pass the string around the lower left pulley and on up to the top left pulley.
Do two (may need one or three) turns around the tuning shaft.
Continue past the next pulley and pointer to the top right pulley.
Pass the string around the lower right pulley onto the bottom of the drum.
If I'm right, it'll either fit exactly or be much too too loose. If it's too loose, it may need another turn around the drum.

I have tried that too Don but the string only went to 2 turns around the tuning shaft & 3cm more to the cursor glued on the string at the bottom end of the tuning scale.So that side looked right. I spent days and nights trying to work this out with the spring in and spring out cursor at one end and then the other, different string winding combinations etc... etc...,that was when I gave up and asked for help on this site.Philips customer service said that it was unrepairable! So I suppose they were right?

I have tried that too Don ...

I was almost right.
Hold the unit with the drum at the bottom closest to you.

Rotate the drum fully anticlockwise, the gap where the strings come out will be at the bottom.

Unhook the string from the spring.

Take the left side string, bring it out through the gap and wrap it once around the drum anti-clockwise.

Pass it around the bottom right pulley, up to the top right pulley, along past the pointer, round the next pulley, 4 times anticlockwise around the tuning shaft, around the top left pulley, around the bottom left pulley.

Wrap the string around the drum once anticlockwise and in through the gap.

Hook the very end of the spring (not the loop) over the string. The end of the spring should be in the large gap to the left of the small hole.

How do I know? I went looking for a manual of the AZ2000 online and found a picture. I recognised it as the same as the boombox I use in the garage. I have the tuner in my hand now... :)

Attachments

• Tuning_wheel.jpg
    Tuning_wheel.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I was almost right.
Hold the unit with the drum at the bottom closest to you.

Rotate the drum fully anticlockwise, the gap where the strings come out will be at the bottom.

Unhook the string from the spring.

Take the left side string, bring it out through the gap and wrap it once around the drum anti-clockwise.

Pass it around the bottom right pulley, up to the top right pulley, along past the pointer, round the next pulley, 4 times anticlockwise around the tuning shaft, around the top left pulley, around the bottom left pulley.

Wrap the string around the drum once anticlockwise and in through the gap.

Hook the very end of the spring (not the loop) over the string. The end of the spring should be in the large gap to the left of the small hole.

How do I know? I went looking for a manual of the AZ2000 online and found a picture. I recognised it as the same as the boombox I use in the garage. I have the tuner in my hand now... :)

Oh ****! Now I have to try and pick that hot glue off or get some more cord to try it.Thanks for finding this Don your a champion. Ill let you know how it goes.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yaaaaay!!!! Finally, Good on ya Don,I got it. It only took 3 turns on the tuner,its not slipping though.I tried your way first but it didn't work there was too much string left over,I probably didn't follow your directions properly, its not the same as in your photo but its working that's the main thing.:D Don you are a legend.

Attachments

• tuner 6 001.jpg
    tuner 6 001.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 59
  • tuner 6 002.jpg
    tuner 6 002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
Yaaaaay!!!! ...

There's more than one way to do it and have it work, probably making the string lengths slightly different. It looks like you went clockwise instead of anticlockwise around the drum, for example. There's no guarantee that yours was originally strung exactly like mine. But it works. Time for a beer, after you've tightened all those nasty Torx screws recessed down those deep holes. Don't forget to reattach the aerial wire to the telescopic antenna, I forgot until I'd done up all the screws... :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Aw, shucks... :) I like puzzles. Pulling another one apart to see the answer is almost like cheating.
The amazing part was that I happened to have an identical unit... that's some coincidence.

If you like these puzzles Ive got another one that is even harder from memory? I tried to rewind it years ago without success and its been in storage since. That can wait for another day though, when my brain has had time to recover.LOL:cheers:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

You complain far too much, and are very wrong. The wheel
clearly has screws that are threadlocked by the red compound.
The bottom right pulley is no different to the rest of them.

YMMV but I'm sure I could get it to work quickly and
its your pedantry that is simply stopping you fixing it.

rgds, sreten.

"The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."—Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.