Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

Thanks Jeff. Seems like I should have been able to find that part myself.....

Andrew, I compared the insulating sheet I am looking at to the Keratherm that is sold by the DIY audio store. They are in a different league. The Tguard available in sheets from Mouser has a thermal resistance of either .84 or 1.42 degrees C-cm. sq /watt depending on thickness. The keratherm is 35 degrees C-mm sq/watt. Making mm sq to cm sq looks like .35 degrees C-cm sq/watt. Even the thinner Tguard is more then twice the thermal impedance. If I knew where to buy Keratherm in sheets or for the MT200 transistors I would... looks like I will have to settle. this is a class A/B amp running modest bias.

Keratherm is exceptional. I don't know of a competitor that can match them yet.
1mil Kapton and 1mil mica beat most other soft insulators. Some are almost their equal but a few are far worse.
You have the be selective and that depends on the duty your build requires.
If you have a To247 dissipating an average of 2W, then it hardly matters whether Rth c-s is 0.2C/W, or 2C/W
But you are in a new scenario if you want to dissipate 30W, or more in a device.

A sheet of the silpad showed up today so I was able to assess the damage to the bad amp.

With a new insulator in place I was still measuring continuity from the output devices to the heatsink???? There must have been some metal that migrated from the transistors backside up into the bolt holes, there is continuity from the transistors metal tab to the inside of the bolthole in the transistor.

I replaces the two outputs that showed they had arced and the amp works fine. Tomorrow I will preemptively take the other channel apart and replace the silver goo and mica with the silpad.

I'm happy the damage was minimal and that I had the 21st century protection running.

Here are some closeup shots of the two transistors.

Attachments

• DSC03028.jpg
    DSC03028.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC03031.jpg
    DSC03031.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC03033.jpg
    DSC03033.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC03035.jpg
    DSC03035.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 360
$13.00 worth of transistors and $35.00 for the sheet of silpad. Not bad at all.

Again I am very glad for the protection circuit. My system no longer uses any crossover parts between the amps and the speakers. The ribbon and super tweeter on that channel would have certainly been toast. In one incident the amp controller more then paid for itself.

As far as making a semiconductor..... I'll leave that to the pros