Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

From a short listening test it seems that everything is ok.
Amplifier tested without any protection tryk at clip levels all this morning.
Some musical parts (solo drummers) was used as woofer test,nothing wrong this time!
Cone of the woofer move well,nothing unusual now.
Please don't ask for comparison.
I can't use my main speakers without any protection.;)

Last edited:
Terry, something like this will be useful

Attachments

• DSC08233.jpg
    DSC08233.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 310
Vbe multiplier

We are in a big trouble again.
This is about Vbe multiplier.
When heat sink temperature rise at about 54°C idle current becomes unstable.
You can see on emitter resistors mVmeter ,20mV jump to 8mV jump rapidly to 0mV again 20mV and so on.
When temperature falls below το 45°C,you see again something like 20mV what is stable and variable linear as temperature falls to about 30mV what is the idle current adjustment.

Last edited:
In my earlier prototype with the Vertical VFA, I did notice some bias current changes with temperature, but it was more related to the temperature of the VAS transistors. If I touched the VAS transistors with my fingers bias current would change quite a bit. If there was a draft around the board bias would really wander too. I increased the size of the heat sinks on the VAS transistor, and along with the recommended changes to a few capacitors for stability is seemed to settle down. In my bench testing of the latest boards, the Vertical inputs seem to wander a lot, but the VZ-Z4 was fairly constant.

I think Antek has finally got me proper transformers coming for my latest builds, so hopefully I can properly test this one soon.

Thimios, maybe see what happens if you install a huge heat sink on the VAS transistors of the input and see if things improve.

In my earlier prototype with the Vertical VFA, I did notice some bias current changes with temperature, but it was more related to the temperature of the VAS transistors. If I touched the VAS transistors with my fingers bias current would change quite a bit. If there was a draft around the board bias would really wander too. I increased the size of the heat sinks on the VAS transistor, and along with the recommended changes to a few capacitors for stability is seemed to settle down. In my bench testing of the latest boards, the Vertical inputs seem to wander a lot, but the VZ-Z4 was fairly constant.

I think Antek has finally got me proper transformers coming for my latest builds, so hopefully I can properly test this one soon.

Thimios, maybe see what happens if you install a huge heat sink on the VAS transistors of the input and see if things improve.
Jeff,i don't believe that is a matter of VAS temperature.
Touching the VAS transistors i can't feel any high temperature.
This was tested using the CFA as IPS.
I will try again using the VFA as IPS.

Last edited: