Reverse of the old Loudness Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
A simple matter becomes a pain in the backside if you have to do it constantly.

If I was a bachelor living alone and I could simply set a pleasant volume level and leave it there for hours on end, then I wouldn't be bothered with this topic. Alas, I am not a bachelor, and the volume of my system changes many times per hour. I don't really want to be adjusting the bass every time.

Regardless of that, I think Don's idea has a lot of merit and would love to see it developed.

Regarding the flexibility, Scott - that's where Don's "calibration" adjustment comes in. Also, it would be dead simple to incorporate a "disable" button, for those nighttime situations.

Is it posible to make a filter, working off the volume control, which lowers the volume of frequencies below about 55Hz as the volume is turned up. This would allow me to use open baffles with boost on the low frequencies for quieter listening without using subs but If I listened at loud volumes I would turn on the subs and the boost on the open baffles would be reduced. I guess I am looking for a circuit to reduce boost with increasing volume but operated off the volume control so that two separate controls are not needed. This is to reduce xmax at high volumes. Thanks for any help, negative or positive.
jamikl
Maybe a variable Loudness is the best approach. Check owner's and service manual of Luxman's R5030
LUXMAN R-5030 SM Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts
Luxman R-5030 AM/FM Tuner Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think it might be some of that, but more so my household's listening habits.

I like to listen at about 80-85 dB SPL average, but my wife and daughter (who seem to always have something to talk about) like it much lower than that. If I adjust my setup for nice tonal balance at my preferred listening levels, there is a serious lack of bass when the system is turned down to "background music".

Some people would just say "live with it", but even at very low volume levels I simply cannot tolerate such tonal imbalance. I want it warm, smooth and rich at all volume levels or I don't want it at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.