Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are no adjustments you can make to any of the components mentioned that address this issue. It sounds like you have never removed the pulley.

If the shield is resting level on the motor mounts it is in the correct place.

Sounds like this motor has not been overhauled? There are two grub screws that retain the motor pulley to the shaft, they have to be loosened in the proper sequence to remove the pulley. If they have not be disturbed be very careful and get absolutely the right screw driver to loosen them the first time or you will damage them. If you are definitely going to service the motor this is best done with the motor out of the table, otherwise with care you can remove the pulley with the motor in place.

A worn thrust pad and badly worn upper motor bearing can cause these difficulties, and if the motor has not be serviced it is highly likely that it is time.

Yes, the grommets affect the height of the motor relative to the chassis, and hence the height relationship between the motor pulley and intermediate pulley, but nothing else.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The grub screws are set 180 degrees apart. Since the motor was rebuilt two years ago this makes me believe that the thrust pad has worn allowing the shaft to drop enough for the pulley to rub.

Make sure that the pulleys are coplanar to each other. I assume you do not have the motor mount upgrade (to MKII version) installed and have replaced the original bushings with something similar to the OEM bushing.

Chances are pulley height was not set correctly to begin with (this has happened to me too) so I would loosen the grub screws and move the pulley up slightly. Verify that the belt runs centered on the crown of the intermediate and motor pulleys when you do this.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep, that's the one.. ;)

Note that if you fail to tighten both of them fairly thoroughly funny things can happen months down the road when they loosen up and your turntable runs erratically or not at all... lol

(No, this has not happened to me - miraculously perhaps since I often forget to tighten the other one.. I got a very hilarious panicked phone call from a friend when this happened to him.. "Dude have you taken off the platter to have a look at what's going on?" "Oh" )

I know, I'm such a "help vampire." At least I've got the sense to figure out it's the reverse when taking off the darned thing! ;-)

I had a good talk about this down the Pub. Martin owns a TD124 and wrote the backs of DGG records.

I wet Martin when I let him in infront of me at the supermarket. I said it was not a busy day so please go first. We chatted and as I left he said " CD or LP"? LP I said and that's how a friendship started. On hearing about the motors Martin said the oil I gave him worked very well and had moved the TD124 up a notch ( Quad 57's ). Martin then went on to say the CD does not produce the sound stage of the TD124. He is more surprised than most as he knows the processes. More so as digital LP's are still better than CD's . From any here I take that with a pinch of salt. Martin is a DGG man, he will not be an equipement lover. You must remember a mastertape outperforms all and Martin will have heard them. It's well past midnight. Forgive any mistakes.

Gracias guys for helping me out. Readjusting the pulley via the grub screws was the ticket.
I took heed on proper fitting and only loosened, aligned, and tightened the screws the same amount. I am not sure if the height is correct, but I only raised it enough to clear the shield and not high enough to have the belt come off. I have been spinning records all day, and all is good. I will take the platter off tonight and inspect alignment. This is probably the quietest my deck has been since I have had it, thanks to great help here. Tomorrow I will check the eddy break's alignment. After that, the plinth! To think I was about to sell it out of loss of patience :nownow:

Awesome thanks again. * I'll post pics soon.

I envy you for being able to go to a pub to discuss turntables.
I wish I could find a pub like that around here.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Martin's best quote of the evening was Petre Andre ( no not that one, this one is the real one ) picked Martin up by his shoulders and was annoyed he had just published a piece beating Mr Andre to press. The dispute was did DGG really exist in circa 1888? Did not Berliner work for HMV? The 7.10 mm spindle size comes from 1888 and is 9/32". 7.1 mm is a better fit than 7.144 as vinyl shrinks 3% if I remember correctly out of the mold?

I think I met Mr Andre once. I had asked him why music had reduced in quality over the years ? At first he said nonsense. When specific he smilled and said he was technical diirector of EMI then and I was right. He said loving music is not the same as knowing how music should be. Many years after I phoned EMI.They said it could only be him. I met him when he was thinking of buying a Dual CS505 to go with his BMW 801's and Quad 405. I complained 505 not good enough. Work provided the speakers and amp , he the turntable.

Pic of my TD-124 II

Had about 4 weeks now.

Attachments

• DSCN0645.JPG
    DSCN0645.JPG
    820.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0647.JPG
    DSCN0647.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN0646.JPG
    DSCN0646.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 183