Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII

I've let it run for a half hour and then tweaked the halves. Pretty quiet now though I haven't snugged up the bolts. Not sure if the heat has expanded the bushings or what. I think it was Steve who mentioned the motor should spin for quite awhile after turning off; mine stops after 5 seconds. Should I call it good for now?

I've let it run for a half hour and then tweaked the halves. Pretty quiet now though I haven't snugged up the bolts. Not sure if the heat has expanded the bushings or what. I think it was Steve who mentioned the motor should spin for quite awhile after turning off; mine stops after 5 seconds. Should I call it good for now?

I would let it run for a while, see if it remains quiet. your going for as silent as possible.
bob

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did you clean the bushings? Soaking the felts is not really enough in my experience. Usually I remove and bake the bushings to drive out the old goo, and then I put them in hot 20 wt oil and allow them to cool down to room temperature. The kit is a fairly good investment as get you a tight set of new bushings, a ball, the felts, and the hardware required to reinstall the bearing assemblies.

Did you clean the bushings? Soaking the felts is not really enough in my experience. Usually I remove and bake the bushings to drive out the old goo, and then I put them in hot 20 wt oil and allow them to cool down to room temperature. The kit is a fairly good investment as get you a tight set of new bushings, a ball, the felts, and the hardware required to reinstall the bearing assemblies.

No, I haven't. Before coughing up the cash, do you know the drill size and hardware specs for the rivets?

Reactions: 1 user

A runout time from 5 sec.indicate worn bearings after revision it should be 15-20 sec.min !
My own motors turn about 25-30 sec. after shut off.

Volken

Couldn't this also be related to misaligned bushings?

No best is to replace bushings ,pivotplate,vilts, and ball and polish the rotorshaft
For aligned the bushings I use the special tool on the picture !

Attachments

• IMG_6359.jpg
    IMG_6359.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 287
Hi guys,

I have been spending quite some time on my TD 124 Mk1, serial no 15569 the last couple of weeks doing a complete overhaul.

I learned a lot from reading this thread and also visiting Steve's Analog Department. A wealth of information! Thank you very much!

Sofar I have replaced the plastic bearing bushings to bronze. I also got the mark2 motor grommet upgrade.

Motor is completely overhauled including motor Windings changed to mk2 windings. This was done by Simone Luchetti. A really nice man to do business with and very knowledgeable. Motor now does not run as hot as it used to, and more importantly the motor is dead quiet and much stronger: I used to have the eddy current break magnet about 7 mm from the stepped pulley, now it is 0,1 mm

It is now obvious I need to improve the stepped pulley which is noisy and replace the idler wheel which is very noisy.

My stepped pulley is of the old type, with shaft fastened to the chassis. In addition to the noise created by the turbulence from the eddy current brake, there is also a grinding noise. The shaft seems to be in good shape, so I think the oilte bushing needs to be changed.

Is there anyone who has experience in changing this bushing and can give some advice?

Attached some Pictures of the stepped pulley

2014-03-31_007.JPG
[/url][/IMG]

2014-03-31_008.JPG
[/url][/IMG]
Best regards
Nils

Hi guys,

I have been spending quite some time on my TD 124 Mk1, serial no 15569 the last couple of weeks doing a complete overhaul.

I learned a lot from reading this thread and also visiting Steve's Analog Department. A wealth of information! Thank you very much!

Sofar I have replaced the plastic bearing bushings to bronze. I also got the mark2 motor grommet upgrade.

Motor is completely overhauled including motor Windings changed to mk2 windings. This was done by Simone Luchetti. A really nice man to do business with and very knowledgeable. Motor now does not run as hot as it used to, and more importantly the motor is dead quiet and much stronger: I used to have the eddy current break magnet about 7 mm from the stepped pulley, now it is 0,1 mm

It is now obvious I need to improve the stepped pulley which is noisy and replace the idler wheel which is very noisy.

My stepped pulley is of the old type, with shaft fastened to the chassis. In addition to the noise created by the turbulence from the eddy current brake, there is also a grinding noise. The shaft seems to be in good shape, so I think the oilte bushing needs to be changed.

Is there anyone who has experience in changing this bushing and can give some advice?

Attached some Pictures of the stepped pulley

2014-03-31_007.JPG
[/url][/IMG]

2014-03-31_008.JPG
[/url][/IMG]
Best regards
Nils

Hi Nils. Interesting post.
re: Simon Lucchetti and his E50 windings upgrade. Do you have a website for this? I can find an email for him at Stefano Pasini's website. Otherwise, nothing.

re: early design stepped pulley and your grinding noise. there should be a bearing ball at the top of the shaft. This provides the vertical thrust point. Is yours present? See detail photo of a disassembled step pulley shaft with ball in correct location.
DSC_5166.jpg

-Steve