resistors and capacitor which one have the best sound ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
resistors and capacitor which one have the best sound ???

resistor i understand that metal film is not as nosie as carbon film resistor?? which are realy better to use why??

ALSO PERCENTAGE ARE 1% 5% 10% WHICH IS THE BETTER TO USE

WHICH TYPE OF CAPACITOR HAVE THE BEST SOUND QUALITY
capacitor thier are alot of types

polyestor
tantalum
aluminum
ceramic

some other types are
copper film
gold film
silver film

are used in the filter stage of the speaker's
I WOnder about which are the best for the actual power amp

I

prorms,

a current flowing through an electronic component generates noise, because of electrons bumping in to the component material.
The material of a metalfilm resistor where the current flows through has a more homogenous structure, the electron humping happens less, resulting in a lower noise level.
A good amplifier should amplify the signal perfectly, without adding noise.
All the noise that is generated by the voltage ripple of the powersupply and the contributions of the various passive and active components has to be surpressed to such a level that it is not bothersome.
Too much noise, and you'll hear it through your loudspeakers during low volume level passages.
A higher current level through a component creates a higher noise level.
Component noise in an amp circuit will also be amplified, noise that is created closer to the amp input will be amplified more.
Up till the late 70s, early 80s, a lot of amplifiers were noisy because of carbons, a carbon resistor has no place in a good pre-amp circuit.
There is no way a high amplification phono stage can be built that has a low noise level by using carbon resistors, and all RIAA components require high accuracy.

For accurate reproduction you want the amplifier to operate accurately.
At some locations in a circuit you wish two resistors to be well matched.
Metalfilm resistors are either 1% or 2% accurate, depending on the power handling.
Carbon resistors are never that accurate.
For a few extra cents you get less noise and a resistor accuracy that is sufficient in most cases, so no need to measure and match.
If you need a resistor with a higher than average power handling, metalfilm ones can be matched much more easily.
For instance a 0.6W or 1W resistor, often 2% accurate. Buy 10 of them, and chances are good that you'll find enough which are accurate within 1% of the nominal value.
The carbons also have a bunch of other attributes that make them a less well choice for solid state amps.
There's only 1 location in an amplifier circuit where carbons have the edge.

jacco vermeulen said:
prorms,

a current flowing through an electronic component generates noise, because of electrons bumping in to the component material.
The material of a metalfilm resistor where the current flows through has a more homogenous structure, the electron humping happens less, resulting in a lower noise level.
A good amplifier should amplify the signal perfectly, without adding noise.
All the noise that is generated by the voltage ripple of the powersupply and the contributions of the various passive and active components has to be surpressed to such a level that it is not bothersome.
Too much noise, and you'll hear it through your loudspeakers during low volume level passages.
A higher current level through a component creates a higher noise level.
Component noise in an amp circuit will also be amplified, noise that is created closer to the amp input will be amplified more.
Up till the late 70s, early 80s, a lot of amplifiers were noisy because of carbons, a carbon resistor has no place in a good pre-amp circuit.
There is no way a high amplification phono stage can be built that has a low noise level by using carbon resistors, and all RIAA components require high accuracy.

For accurate reproduction you want the amplifier to operate accurately.
At some locations in a circuit you wish two resistors to be well matched.
Metalfilm resistors are either 1% or 2% accurate, depending on the power handling.
Carbon resistors are never that accurate.
For a few extra cents you get less noise and a resistor accuracy that is sufficient in most cases, so no need to measure and match.
If you need a resistor with a higher than average power handling, metalfilm ones can be matched much more easily.
For instance a 0.6W or 1W resistor, often 2% accurate. Buy 10 of them, and chances are good that you'll find enough which are accurate within 1% of the nominal value.
The carbons also have a bunch of other attributes that make them a less well choice for solid state amps.
There's only 1 location in an amplifier circuit where carbons have the edge.

Hi Jacco,
But carbon composition resistors (Allen Bradley) sound better IMHO.
:angel:

Mouser carries the RN60D resistors -- I believe that Newark and Allied Electronics used to carry the Allen Bradley "Mod Pots" -- but you can make a really fine stepped attenuator with the RN60's.

for capacitors read Bob Pease's article on "capacitor soakage" -- http://www.national.com/rap/Application/0,1570,28,00.html and the article which Jung and Marsh did on picking capacitors:
http://waltjung.org/Classic_Articles.html

my two bits -- I use polystyrene in RIAA filter sections, and have used polystyrene in coupling chipamps to the preamp sections -- i also came across a "lot" of polycarbonate which are very good for sample-hold applications, or as the integrator on a true RMS converter, and as input caps on amps. in the tube stuff i have built -- which means a lot more power supplies -- i have used WIMA's which are sometimes difficult to source in the states -- Future and Mouser carry WIMA but are often out of stock or you have to purchase an entire box.

i still haven't found a surface mount electrolytic that I like -- and I think the SMT ones are difficult to mount for a DIYr -- and don't put a polystyrene cap in the toaster-oven :)

Although, there are some standart rules, we cannot speak generally what is good or not. Every material has advantages and disadvantages from its nature and construction, even the most "exotic" and expensive. The choise depends mostly on the application, and the cost.
Imo , metal film resistors, (Holco) polypropylene or foil caps (wima, SCR, wondercap) and low ESR elcos (Panasonic FC, elna, black gate) Polysterine in case that is difficult to find the appropriate value (very often). The audible differences are huge sometimes, specially in tubes but that's a long story.

Btw, I agree with you Jacco about A.Bradley. I prefer KIWAME and Holco.

so which parts are the best to use???

I see that tatlum are real bad
carbon film not that great

so which do you think is sould not use in a power amp ???
any one ever try tantlum resistor????

the rest of them dont know what to think ?????

any choise what part to look out for and why????

For audio you can't go wrong with polyester,ceramic---polystyrene (if you can solder really fast) and 105degree electrolytics. Tantalum is better suited to high frequency applications.Resistors metal film if available,carbons will do in a pinch--depending on application wirewounds maybe the only option....Most passive components have datasheets --use them to make your selection. Educate yourself, thats the"Y" in DIY;)

Never seen a tantalum resistor.Got a picture or website or..Datasheet?LOL:)

I am in the film capacitor market right now and am wondering the same thing.

For my application I need one 100V+ 4.7uF axial film capacitor to use as as an input stabilizing capacitor on each of my monobloc amps.

I'm considering either Sonicap, Auricap, ICW Clarity Cap, or (if I splurge) Mundorf Supreme capacitors.

Can't afford the Mundorf Silver/Oil or Silver/Gold, but I would imagine that the Silver/Gold would inherently have the best electrical characteristics.

I have experience with Solen capacitors that have been in my crossover circuits for years and they seem okay, but I want to design new crossovers with boutique capacitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.