resistors and capacitor which one have the best sound ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
XEAGLEKEEPER said:
mjraudio
Not to many Sigur Ros fans.My wife is Icelandic and she can't stand sigur ros.I like her stuff. it helps if you can understand icelandic;)

@XEAGLEKEEPER: Yeah Sigur Ros is great because there is a lot of ambience in the tracks and they tend to be very progressive in nature. I have their album Takk and it has given me moments of nirvana during my listening sessions.

pinkmouse said:
There is no "best" resistor or cap...

@All: Back to the discussion at hand...I do think that the high end capacitor market contains much hype and marketing, however, there definitely is theory behind many pricey capacitors. The Mundorf Silver/Gold axial caps seem to be among the top designs in theory. Silver and Gold are excellent conductors and thus using them WITHIN components and not just as solder or wire should yield improvement in any circuit. Now, whether these improvements are measurable depends on the accuracy and sensitivity of your measurement equipment. And whether those improvements are audible is subjective to each listener's ears, and they most certainly differ from the accuracy of scientific testing.

I have decided to buy surplus NPTM metalized polypropylene 4.7uF 400VDC/250VAC axial leaded capacitors from Steve over at apexjr.com.

4K7POLYcaps.jpg

At $1 a piece, I would argue that these are the "best" VALUE

I'm going to be using 1 of these in each of my monobloc amps for input filters (DC blocking), and then 2 of these for each receptacle in my custom DIY power "filter" box.

mjraudio said:

The Mundorf Silver/Gold axial caps seem to be among the top designs in theory. Silver and Gold are excellent conductors and thus using them WITHIN components and not just as solder or wire should yield improvement in any circuit.

Gold beeing an excellent conductor is another highend fairy tale...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity#Table_of_resistivities
The difference between Gold and Aluminium is minimal.
Using gold in electronics does only make sense when making contacts, because it does not oxidize. Any other use appears to me as simply expensive hype.
Even the thermal conductivity of gold is not excellent.

Mike

MikeB said:

Gold beeing an excellent conductor is another highend fairy tale...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity#Table_of_resistivities
The difference between Gold and Aluminium is minimal.
Using gold in electronics does only make sense when making contacts, because it does not oxidize. Any other use appears to me as simply expensive hype.
Even the thermal conductivity of gold is not excellent.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the information. This is quite interesting...it seems as if silver plated copper would be the best solution. Does Silver oxidize?

What are you thoughts on the Mundorf Silver/Oil capacitor?

:( But gold looks so pretty! hehe

mjraudio said:
Mike, thanks for the information. This is quite interesting...it seems as if silver plated copper would be the best solution. Does Silver oxidize?

What are you thoughts on the Mundorf Silver/Oil capacitor?

:( But gold looks so pretty! hehe

Yes, gold looks pretty... :D
Silver also "oxidizes" (becomes black because of sulfur in the air, afaik)
Gold plated copper should last for "ever"... :clown:

From what i have heard/understood, the silver/oil caps should be quite the best. But, its not only the materials, the construction also counts. Slitfoils for example sounds interesting, the metal foil is sliced to reduce eddy currents.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.