Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
turing_test.png

Nico can I ask you something, with your exquisite hearing, what do you think you would feel when listening to a piece of equipment with the attached frequency response? Would you hear the errors you think?

If you want something really scary, look what the nonlinear distortion in a high end vinyl rig does to an ordinary relatively low frequency sine wave:

Vinyl versus CD 1 KHz 0 dB.jpg

Vinyl is warm due to H2 distortion. Who'da thunk it. Still nothing scary there as I knew that.

That's a half truth. A nonlinearity that creates second order distortion also creates IM when you play real world audio through it because real world audio signals contain multiple tones. The distortion products created by IM are aharmonic or if you will, not the least pleasant sounding.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dear Jan ,I must know how sound a paper ?

I know well and can this be hear from 10m how Os-con sound sharp rispect an elna cerafine on katode driver stage

Your are dodging and evading, not good for your credibility!
Simple question: would you hear those ripples and ringing in that frequency response?
You don't have to listen to a paper - surely, with all your experience, you KNOW if you would hear (or not hear) several dBs ripple??
If you do, would it be a reason to throw away that equipment?

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If you have a preference for audio with 7% IM added, why worry about the distortion in passive modern electronic parts that is well below 0.00001% if you choose them reasonably?

I never said 'preference'. You are putting words into my mouth. I said 'enjoy'. I know its flawed, but I have a couple of thousand 12" LPs and I enjoy them. The ritual of it makes for a nice end to the day. I also have some thousands of digital albums which I also enjoy.

Currently enjoying the re-issues of Dupre recordings from the 60s on CD. Flawed? of course with Neumann U47 and BTR-3 tape decks full of carbon comp resistors. But beautiful music and a rare talent snipped in her prime.

And I dont fret over distortion in modern passives. You are confusing me with someone else.

I never said 'preference'.

You never said a lot of words in that post, but logical inference still works.

You are putting words into my mouth. I said 'enjoy'. I know its flawed, but I have a couple of thousand 12" LPs and I enjoy them. The ritual of it makes for a nice end to the day.

IOW, preference. Besides, if I changed preference to tolerance, you'd probably still deflect the question because it raises the same issue of inconsistent choices.

And I dont fret over distortion in modern passives. You are confusing me with someone else.

You mean the guy named billshurv who has been posting up a storm on a thread named "Resistor-sound-quality"? ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.