Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi,

Why not just accept that we all perceive sound differently instead of "thinking" that if you can't hear it whatever it is it can't possibly exist ?

Oh, BTW, in my book audiophiles are not per definition naïve.
:D

Cheers, ;)

I think we realise everyone perceives the world slightly differently. I have reduced colour vision like many men. And people have varying preferences for say, imaging vs spaciousness in their speakers. But accepting that does not immediately create the concept of a 'golden ear' who can hear things 100dB down.

At the end of the day, if you're enjoying the music you win!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
By spiking audiophile myths and rumors, DBTs end up creating more time to enjoy the music.

As long as people are not trying to convert others to the dark side it's their hobby. Bit like asking why someone should want to make a nice wooden table lamp at home on a lathe, when a perfectly good lamp is $20 at bed bath and beyond. After all it's only a hobby.

Your conclusion is that we can QUIT DIYAUDIO as we cannot find difference in audio stuff

The above would be something that you made up, nothing I ever said or implied.

For the record I find that a ton of useful practical information about audio is shared here and I want to benefit from it.

Then there's that tiny little pile of other stuff that is useless... Why not kick it into the corner and move on?

As long as people are not trying to convert others to the dark side it's their hobby.

I think you'e basically arguing that false, self-aggrandizing statements are just little white lies and should be blessed by all.

Somehow, I'm not buying it! ;-)

Bit like asking why someone should want to make a nice wooden table lamp at home on a lathe, when a perfectly good lamp is $20 at bed bath and beyond. After all it's only a hobby.

I don't know about you, but my home craft projects are driven by real world needs. My 1933 house was a real fixer-upper when I bought it. First rainstorm took every bucket we could find to cover.

My 3 sons learned a lot about home construction from it. One has easily generated $100,000's of value in homes he subsequently fixed up, which he on occasion has been able to cash out and move on, while pursuing a good career in Cancer Research.

The above would be something that you made up, nothing I ever said or implied.
For the record I find that a ton of useful practical information about audio is shared here and I want to benefit from it.
Then there's that tiny little pile of other stuff that is useless... Why not kick it into the corner and move on?
aren't you the ABX men ? all sound the same ?
for you we can quit diyaudio ...now we know !

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think you'e basically arguing that false, self-aggrandizing statements are just little white lies and should be blessed by all.

Somehow, I'm not buying it! ;-)

No, I am saying that, if someone, in the comfort of their own home wants to spend $15 a pop on cartridge load resistors I have no issue with that. I have a problem when the claim its the only way to great sound and people who can't hear that don't have good enough systems or are deaf.

'I prefer' is not a reason to get upset with anyone. And in hobbies people spend inordinate time and money on things that people outside of the hobby think are daft.

arnyk why you dont tell us why you write that analog is obsolete ?

Analog can't be obsolete because we are still highly dependent on it, particularly when we get close to the acoustical interfaces of our sound reproduction systems.

Actual, working, commercial, competitive digital microphones and speakers in the true senses of the words still seem elusive.

If you believe that analog is limited to just analog tape and vinyl, you might find some of my statements a bit concerning, but I think that most people are smart enough to know that analog encompasses far more than those two forms of legacy media.

No, I am saying that, if someone, in the comfort of their own home wants to spend $15 a pop on cartridge load resistors I have no issue with that. I have a problem when the claim its the only way to great sound and people who can't hear that don't have good enough systems or are deaf.

With that, I agree.

Unfortunately, we have one or more conference participants who still seem to think our days are enhanced by their frequent pronouncements that people who disagree with them can't hear and/or don't have good enough systems and/or are deaf.

'I prefer' is not a reason to get upset with anyone. And in hobbies people spend inordinate time and money on things that people outside of the hobby think are daft.

Again, totally agreed. Unfortunately...

I inform you that 3£ for shinkoh as load resitor cannot kill

aren't you the ABX men ? all sound the same ?
for you we can quit diyaudio ...now we know !

Why are you saying things that have not been said....
What is being determined is how much effect the WRONG choice of resistor would have on the sound... If you follow the sensible advice and choose the correct components then you don't have resistor sound, it is these silly arguments that some can hear effects down below -100dB that is being disputed. There has also been a lot of good information on how to correctly choose discrete components, which whether you are DIYing or not is good advise that should be followed if you want to create a decent system, after all you are playing with electronics so having some basic understanding and engineering practices would be advisable...

I re try

arnyk why you don't tell us why you write that vinyl is obsolete ?

For one thing, vinyl inherently corrupts audio in ways we would never tolerate from any other kind of equipment except possibly speakers and rooms. T

he readily and continuously audible corruption due to vinyl cursed my life until the first practical digital players became available in the early 1980s.

If we still had nothing better, well that was how things were until the early 1980s. But we have something far better, so other than recovering music from the archives, why bother with vinyl?

Vinyl, by any sensible metric IS obsolete. Digital is better in every way.

BTW the replacement cost of my analog front end is more than yours. So don't try that.

if digital is better in every way you must done something wrong... the cost tell only that is serius stuff not how good sound ...please share as to me just rega p3 sound better then digital

If you follow the sensible advice and choose the correct components then you don't have resistor sound, it is these silly arguments that some can hear effects down below -100dB that is being disputed. There has also been a lot of good information on how to correctly choose discrete components, which whether you are DIYing or not is good advise that should be followed if you want to create a decent system, after all you are playing with electronics so having some basic understanding and engineering practices would be advisable...

Amen!

Status
Not open for further replies.