Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People often say this. I suspect they have never built anything using RF. In RF we sometimes use a stopper which has lots of inductance, but also enough resistance to damp the resonance. Resistance is what does it, not lack of inductance. Inductance merely shifts the frequency of the unwanted resonance downwards

Resistance always helps to damp oscillations. Inductance could help, or it could make things worse.

Rich Measures AG6K recommended replacing the traditional LR suppressor used in the anode circuit of RF amplifiers with a coil of resistance wire, or a half turn of stainless steel band. Improved Anode Circuit Parasitic Suppression for Modern ...Tubes

Is there some Dales "brown" range without magnetic leads ? RN60 ?

Older Dale RN55C, RN55D, RN55E and similar are brown and fully non-magnetic. Newer ones have magnetic end-caps, but the leads are still non-magnetic. The switch took place some time between 1993 and 1999 (I have some with the '93 date code which are non-magnetic, while the '99 ones are magnetic).

There are some versions (not all) of the CMF55 which are fully non-magnetic.

CMF60 is mostly non-magnetic, but some of them sound very harsh and thin regardless.

Is there a good carbon serie as well (non exotic one, just for "normal" use) without magnetic leads ?

Anything with soft leads is usually copper and non-magnetic, and there are many. However, most have steel end-caps for reliability.

Most carbon-composition resistors (Allen-Bradley, etc.) with the dark brown body are fully non-magnetic.

Hi LinuxGuru, Marce : thanks....

The AB : I use it on the signal like Audial Dacs (P. Rodjic). Ande use the Rhopoint 816G wirewound as I/V.

Marce, do you mean than bad sounding about Fe on the signal pass is a urban myth ?
Are the Fe leads ok as shunt to ground but just bad for signal coupling? Did you notice some "sound" difference between a Sussumu low noise smt resistor and a good Dale ?

LinuxGuru, what would you advise for a good through hole normal resitor at shops like Mouser/Farnell ? Many talked about a good current carbon (Yageo ???) but I can't find the name on diya or elswhere ! My personal idea is on analog stage or not used in a filter, any good sounding resistor with 300 ppm is good enough as the values are always choosed as a normalized approximation in a circuit design ! So carbon comp most of the time (but here they are a little noisy, no... AB are not on the signal coupling path...but here I ask for shunt with the Gnd plane ?) ?

Last edited:
LinuxGuru, what would you advise for a good through hole normal resitor at shops like Mouser/Farnell ? Many talked about a good current carbon (Yageo ???) but I can't find the name on diya or elswhere !

I haven't checked specifically at Mouser or Farnell recently, but there was some mention about Xicon earlier. There's still plenty of availability of Beyschlag, Roederstein and Philips CFRs/MFRs from EBay sellers in Europe (for some reason, shipping from France, Germany, Poland, some Balkan countries, Estonia, Lithuania, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, etc., is generally reasonably-priced, especially on combined shipments).

Marce, do you mean than bad sounding about Fe on the signal pass is a urban myth ?

I wonder, again it is only in audio where I hear this, I just wonder how much if any effect magnetic (and here we are discussing ferromagnetism I presume) leads, end caps nickel barriers (on just about every component ) has, again has any one got any measurements.
Considering analogue cable TV was distributed using copper plated steel cable and that didn't have any problems, I just wonder how it can have an effect.

Ah ! I don't know myself, here I believe the people who said having tested and heared the difference as myself I take care with caps ! Distorsions are ok for me if they hide some unpleasant harmonics or if they color the sound of a "pleasant" maneer. But is it only distorsion here ? E.G. : if distorsion are too low between two resistors to be heard, what difference do we heard : soldering material ? ¨Placebo ? I believe many blind tests were already maid ? Fluctuation of the electricity get from the walls during tests ?

I read two weeks ago a paper about fundamental research about carbon as material with electricity : carbon seems to improve electrons for current transport ! But really don't know if it's apply to resistors. That's true here designers look at firstly to precision, noise, ageing of precision with temperature, etc ; the paper I read was on a review for a wild public readers !

Carbon nanotubes are a big thing, and it is these that have that effect, no other form of carbon (or Van der hul's carbon nano tube cable, note the space between the nano and tube, this is critical to avoid false representation by van der hul) but we are still a way of before we get cables and interconnects made of them. Though I think it was quite a difference in current capacity.
The only job we were any component showing any ferro magnetic response was not aloud was on boards for an MRI scanner for obvious reasons....
Funny but even where I am working today (Shimadzu Manchester) they don't bother whether PTH resistors (or any component) is magnetic...and if it does have any effect of what magnitude would it be.

Interresting !

Maybe the jonction between the body of the resistor and the leads ? Maybe the way of flowing along the leads : on the surface or in the center oh the lead according the power amplitude of the signal/current, the material of the surfacing lead's body... I can't imagine serious designers in audio listen to their "placebo" only. Something happens, maybe we don't know exactly where or what to measure to corelate it with the changements heared?!

My bet is the effect is so little most of the time to worry about but the most critical position like signal path, and here this is the hard marble data which dictate the choice : e.g. wirewound for low noise if inductance is not a problem as i/v position, etc ! My simple understanding.noisy Carbon comp resistor seems not to be a problem with small voltage signal : like Allen Bradley ones, etc...

Well, so Philips RN seems a good enough choice for a everydays resistor for me, as easily sourcable here !

Last edited:
RN60 (like RN55, RN65, RN70) refers mostly to power ratings. I don't know of any specific model numbers that specify non-ferrous construction, except for a handful of audio-specific parts.

Resistor quality is basically a property of the specific material used in the actual resistive element.

Carbon composition resistors are almost inherently non-linear because of the material properties: carbon powder compressed with a binder; composition resistors have terrible temperature and especially voltage coefficients. I _never_ use carbon composition resistors for these reasons. If there is a standard "best" resistive material, it is the nickel-chromium-whatever alloy used in the majority of film, foil and wirewound resistors. Carbon film and various thick film materials fall somewhere in the middle and in most cases a lot depends on specific details of manufacturing to achieve certain specifications.

Some material-based audiophile resistors like tantalum enjoy a cult-like following, but I have almost never seen specifications or specific details that might explain the reasons for this. I suspect this is because they're really only average compared to good nickel-chromium alloys.

Complex how?

For example, the construction and electrical characteristics of resistors.
Take a look at this Vishay thin film technology guide.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/49562/49562.pdf

Here are some discussions of current flow in conductors.
Drude model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Classical and quantum conductivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this doesn't even touch on conductors small enough to require special approach, for example:
Conductance quantum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.