resistor comparison test - tantalum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today i got the mail from MFR for the following resistor regarding the detail info in other datasheet than the following one..
http://www.mfrelectronics.com/MRR.pdf

It was very clear that the base is ceramic as its stated

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7421969/resistor.jpg

my question is that when its MFR how will it give the noise floor less than -32db as stated in the first datasheet.

will this resistor be better than the conventional metal film resistor as discussed in the previous posts?

I dont understand that does the encapsulation provides a low noise floor? I dont think so..

My initial decision was to consider the Vishay VSR as they are reasonably affordable than the Z foil VAR resistor.

Please anybody explain me do I need to choose the above MRR resistor?

The noise and almost all other electrical characteristics is determined by the resistive material itself.

Bulk metal foil resistors will almost always have better electrical characteristics, especially temperature and voltage coefficient; by my book, bulk foil resistors are superior. Apparently the MFR is a more or less convention metal film resistor that's packaged a bit differently, that's all.

Will one technology sound audibly better than another? Maybe. Will it be worth the extra money? Maybe. You'll have to try, compare, and decide for yourself.

my discussion about resistors found an end. For pots and ladder switches ect , I´ve tried an inductive pot. I´ve never heard something that open. It can be dangerous, as long as it´s not burned in and you probably would have to redesign part of the cirquit, working point, bypass caps ect, but I won´t go back.
And I´ve tried resistors all over the cirquit, like cmf55, AMR, Allen Bradley, beyschlag, Texas Components...
Again, the whole environment is important, and it may be necessary to change old habits, but I´m satisfied with TX2575 naked Z-Foil from Texas Components. (in hifi Amps!) They steal less sound as any other resistor, especially in the high frequencies dynamics. it´s worth a try. And you have no chance to see the difference in sound on an oscilloscope...best place to get them: Arbie Lopez from Texas Comp.
Now I have to find out best Voltage divider Rs in sower supplies with more than 1 W. Any ideas?

autoformer

I too went inductive attenuation. In my case Slagle unit from intact audio. Awesome sound beats any form of resistive attenuation.

Attachments

• 238 (640x480).jpg
    238 (640x480).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 726
Hi. I have reading about vishays bulk foil resistors for many days, for now i still dont know nothing. I have discovered that is many bulk foil vishays resistors, for example:
s102K 1pieces 475R00 Vishay S102K Series Metal Foil Resistors 0.01% 475Ohm-in Electronics Stocks from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group it pasbile to bay cheap used versions,
RNC90 RNC90Y pdf, RNC90Y description, RNC90Y datasheets, RNC90Y view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
VAR resistors VAR aka Y0706 ('naked' foil resistors in limited values)
TX2352 http://umwxd.xdqqt.servertrust.com/v/TxCC_Graphics_Files/DataSheets/TX2352_Data_Sheet.pdf
And TX2575 TX2575 (the Z-Foil upgrade to the TX2352)

For now i donkt know what resistor will be best, like we see, thay have the same parameters! Did somebody try s102(cheap) vr TX2575 ? the same technology, only think is that s102 is space version tith enclosure. Please help.

Generally speaking, all bulk foil resistors are pretty much the same technology, with different packaging (or in the case of 'naked' devices, essentially no packaging at all). I think the 'naked' resistors look flimsy and need to be handled very carefully when bending the leads and soldering them into a circuit. I'd rather not use them.

To my eye, S102 and RNC90 packaging are the same thing and there's barely any difference in electrical specifications.

The Z-foil grade is considered the best because it is the most temperature stable resistive material, but the construction is otherwise the same. I suspect any audible difference is purely subjective. I don't know that Z-foil is worth the extra expense; I'm happy to use the Y-foil grade most of the time. How deep is your budget?

(You >could< use the oil-filled hermetically sealed versions for absolute maximum thermal stability and long-term stability, but these are extremely expensive and usually special-order. I don't even consider using them because of cost.)

The budget is not big. Like everyone im searching best reaseneable resistor for not much maney. Z foil tech is TX2575, RNC90Z and Z201. I dont know that is worth difrence from y-foil and z-foil. For now im using dale cmf60 in my cathode, im searcheng for best transparetly detailed reasistor to cathode and to load resistor in my shunt type ladder.

Then I'd say you already have the cost-effective solution.

There are "better" grade of metal film resistors; you've probably got 100 ppm tempco parts and 25 ppm grade is readily available, 10 ppm or even 5 ppm is possible in metal film such as the Vishay-Dale PTF series, but I don't think there's an audible improvement until bulk foil resistors are used instead of metal film. And even that's subjective.

I advocate bulk foil resistors because they seem to have the best specifications of any resistor technology, and they are a clear break from metal film technology (think of bulk foil as a miniaturized wire wound resistor). Now if only bulk metal foil weren't so darned expensive!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I advocate bulk foil resistors because they seem to have the best specifications of any resistor technology, and they are a clear break from metal film technology (think of bulk foil as a miniaturized wire wound resistor). Now if only bulk metal foil weren't so darned expensive!

No idea why they sound as good as they do but I'd certainly want some that can take higher voltages.
They're the only resistors I know of that sound like no resistor at all IME.

Cheers, ;)

Every resistor i have write on upper post is made by the same technology. Mayby it is that s102/rnc90y is the same resistor as TX2352 Y-foil. For now we dont have any informations that more expensive bulk foil is better.
wlowes- what type of bulk You used? and versus what resistors?

S102/rnc90 This is with two type of ppm, two type of foils. Spec is the same like for example Tx2575. From texas they have good prices ,mayby the best if we look on new resistors, but shippment cost to Poland are 16$ it is expensive. So im searching that is seanse to put more expensive resistor if i have cheaper same versions.

Hi

I have developed a tube cirquit with lots of TX2575. They sound great . I have left quite a number of them, because I don´t need those values any more. They are used, some with long wires, some with short ones. Be aware that they break easily; they are sensitive for mechanical power...
I´m situated in Germany which makes shipping easier in Europe. If someone is interested, just let me know
examples: 2x100R 2x1K5 2x 1K6 2x820R 2x1K and many others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.