Replacement Parts for Quad 909

Panasonic are good solid caps, but i'm not sure their sonic character would be to my tastes. People often refer to the Panasonics as mellow with slightly recessed highs, and "tube like", which is the opposite of what i want.

I will try Nichicon FG and Elna silmic II and see which ones i prefer.

Anyone ever tired Mundorf Mlytics in the power supply?

OMG This is so wrong!!! Panasonic Fc are most neutral caps of them all and they are Great for power supply duty,Elna silmic ii are (mellow and "tube like") and they are for signal path.And again you prove you are not up to task.

Panasonic FC are my go to caps as well.

Mundorf M-Lytics have good specs from memory but not convinced they'd make any difference to sound over a good quality "non audiophile" cap. Circuit parasitics need to be considered.

Personally, do not accept "consensus" unless it is a well reasoned technical consensus.

Out the OP's suggestions, I'd go with the Nichicons for decoupling.

The 909 sounds flat and boring, and it sounds that way because of some of the poor quality caps.
Maybe you look at the wrong direction ?

Speakers might be a problem or a Filter connected to your elem is making ur speaker as a whole lifeless.

I can tell exactly, that in some cases, in circuit capacitor must be exactly what it is, not better and not worse.

About Filter Bank caps, Panasonic FC gets my vote too, good overall cap if its Original:D

could be as old as 8 years

I have vast quantities of NOS components, including E-caps more than 40 years old, and when I use them, I don't care about reforming: I just build the circuit and power it up brutally, without any particular precaution.

I never had any problem with this method.
For example, in this project, nearly half of the E-caps are 40y NOS.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...3240-simplistic-distortion-meter-100_5166.jpg

That said, if I had to test a tube radio set that has never seen power for 50y, I'd be a bit more careful

Which IC socket for Quad

I would like to use an IC socket on my Quad 909 but am not sure which type to use.

Since the OPAMP has 8 pins, do i simply purchase any socket that supports 8 pins?

Or is there some special type that i need?

Does it matter if the holes on the socket are round or square shaped?

Thankyou

Last edited:
Would an 8 pin LME49710 opamp fit a standard DIP8 socket?
Yes, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea or an improvement if the IC does not "match" the circuit. All IC opamps require bypass capacitors and the bypassing requirements can be different and quite specific. Even using a socket can affect it.

Why do you think you need to use an IC socket? Why do you think you need to change the ICs? Is it broken? If it isn't broken, why do you "need to fix" it?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
8 pin LME409710 ICs come in 3 different packages. Use datasheets to determine what the opamp outlines are like and the variations. Google is your friend: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49710.pdf

There you see the current available types are DIP8, SOIC8 or TO99 cans. That means standard types, regardless of manufacturer codes like PDIP (meaning standard through-hole package). The point is that DIP8 parts will all fit the relevant DIP sockets for pin size, pitch and depth. The sockets may vary in height above the PCB, plastic type, pin construction, metal and plating or many other small variations but if you want advice on so many minor options, you would be better off first searching what the variations mean because they will likely be irrelevant even if there are differences. You will only run into trouble if you are looking too deeply into the options for commercial users. Look for the most popular models or contact a seller with a smaller, less confusing inventory suited to hobbyists more than manufacturers. Ebay will simplify the problem for you, if you are unsure of what you are looking at.

What you are looking for is a standard socket. Whether it has turned pins or not is a choice you may make but don't need to, if you plan want to swap opamps in the future. Turned pins btw, can sometimes grip so tight that it is impossible to remove the IC without damage and replacement so don't assume that the intriquing options are necessarily going to work out for you. My suggestion is don't try to cherrypick all the fancy options in one product. You could wind up very dissatisfied.