Replace high-end midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
daniels, Have you explored how your baffle shape interacts with the RAAL 70-20X? The midrange and tweeter together over Xover? A few RAAL designs (Vapor) use large radius baffles, which also increases total width. I wonder if a wider baffle helps to "blend" the two different polar patterns.

I heard the TB sandwich cone 4-inch mid in the Dan Neubecker’s Scimtars
Tang Band W4-1757SB 4" Aluminum Cone Driver
Which I thought sound better than the Satori MW16P in Jeff Bagby’s Testarossas.

The 6 inch TB sandwich cone is on clearance at PE for an impulse buy.

Specs does look very nice.
The 4" is just too small for this build.

I do not seem to find any constructions with the 6" driver - so it is hard to get a real life impression.
It is added on to my impulse buy list though ;)

I think I must disagree about the need for crossover as high as 3 to 4KHz.
I started in that range and kept lowering the crossover and it sounded great. Now I have ended on about 2,8KHz.

Hi daniels,

I take your comments as a valuable insight ;) and anyway, 2.8 for the 70-20 is not so low. I just think that the lowest suggested frequency by RAAL, 1.8khz for this driver, is really too low, it strains that tweeter a lot, just my guess...

Do you know about this speaker?

VAPOR AUDIO :: Exquisite Sound Perfect Storm Black

Here the key for the utmost performance relies on separating the midrange in two drivers. A 2" driver can perfectly match the wide polar response of the RAAL and an 8" driver manages the midbass greatly.

Hi daniels,

I take your comments as a valuable insight ;) and anyway, 2.8 for the 70-20 is not so low. I just think that the lowest suggested frequency by RAAL, 1.8khz for this driver, is really too low, it strains that tweeter a lot, just my guess...

Here the key for the utmost performance relies on separating the midrange in two drivers. A 2" driver can perfectly match the wide polar response of the RAAL and an 8" driver manages the midbass greatly.

We completely agree that 1,8KHz is very optimistic for the RAAL ;)

I have seen Vaporsound before but forgot all about them again so thank you for refreshing my memory.

I did like the old Accuton 2" driver but it limited the constructions quite a lot with its range from 1KHz to 8KHz.
If this new Cell edition is better than the old 2" (which it propably is) then it is right up there among some of the very best drivers I have had through my lab. My only reason for selling them (after three years enjoying them) were that range, that just did not fit in with some of the other drivers I wanted to use at the time.

Unfortunately I am limited by my current construction – which I do not want to change right now – so I cannot move the 8” upperbas/lower midrange drivers closer to the midrange. And I would think that would be best if I were to use a small 2” driver…

The construction I want to improve on is a modified cabinet from Aerial Acoustics:
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/attachments/vennetra-der-hifimerker/252033d1396128385-aerial-acoustics-venner-imag1295.jpg

The picture is not mine but mine are the same with different drivers.

I usually always build my own cabinets but I got this one at a bargain price and have made some improvements internally.

Hi daniels,

Nice drivers but bear in mind that v expensive 2" only covers a very narrow frequency.

I did like the old Accuton 2" driver but it limited the constructions quite a lot with its range from 1KHz to 8KHz.
If this new Cell edition is better than the old 2" (which it propably is) then it is right up there among some of the very best drivers I have had through my lab.

Ok I undestand.

About the new 2" Cell I expect it to operate in the same frequency range, but with an even greater quality and negligible distortion.

This is another CELL (midbass, not on the website, but can be ordered)

http://www.myro.de/Bilder open end myro Forum/ARGUN/Datasheet C168-6-990-1_744x1052.jpg

http://www.myro.de/Bilder open end myro Forum/ARGUN/Datasheet C168-6-990-2_744x1052.jpg

Really impressing and a dream for a dipole application. In your case I don't know, there is an important 3th order distortion spike at 2.5 khz.
I haven't seen any measurements yet, but I bet that this driver has incredibly low energy storage. It may be a true champion in midrange definition

Ok I undestand.

About the new 2" Cell I expect it to operate in the same frequency range, but with an even greater quality and negligible distortion.

http://www.myro.de/Bilder open end myro Forum/ARGUN/Datasheet C168-6-990-1_744x1052.jpg

http://www.myro.de/Bilder open end myro Forum/ARGUN/Datasheet C168-6-990-2_744x1052.jpg

Really impressing and a dream for a dipole application. In your case I don't know, there is an important 3th order distortion spike at 2.5 khz.
I haven't seen any measurements yet, but I bet that this driver has incredibly low energy storage. It may be a true champion in midrange definition

This accuton just look so great.
I wonder if ever the price will drop one day...

I heard the TB sandwich cone 4-inch mid in the Dan Neubecker’s Scimtars
Tang Band W4-1757SB 4" Aluminum Cone Driver
Which I thought sound better than the Satori MW16P in Jeff Bagby’s Testarossas.

The 6 inch TB sandwich cone is on clearance at PE for an impulse buy.

Wish I could have heard those two! Was it the same time? How did they differ?

Wish I could have heard those two! Was it the same time? How did they differ?

They were in inDIYana in April of this year. As Face points out comparisons are difficult between two ways and three ways. The Testarossas had the Raal tweeter and a pair of the Satori woofers, the Scimtars had the TB inverted dome tweeter, sandwich cone mid and the RBM woofers. The Raal wins the high end and the RBM woofers were amazing low. That left the mids. I thought the TB sandwich cone was cleaner. In some respects it pulled up the TB tweeter. In full disclosure, I like the detail of aluminum mids.

You could make the argument that the Satori's were doing to much to be a fair comparison. Also Dan used a unique tapered cardioid mid enclosure.

So not a fair comparison, but the TB sandwich cone mid was quite good and seemed worthy of mention here.

Last edited:

I already have a set of these and even though they are great from a price/performance stand point, they have a little warmer sound than what I am looking for.

I have built a great speaker with:
Dome:
SATORI TW29RN-B :: SB Acoustics
Mid:
http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/midrange/5in-satori-mr13p-4/
2 x Bas:
http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/midwoofers/satori/6-satori-mw16p-8/

A very harmonic sounding speaker.

Ok I undestand.

From what I have read, some of the misbehaver can be tackled with some creative dampening of the back of the driver – maybe that will solve that issue (?)

They do look very nice those Cell Accutons… I am thinking about trying them out.

The price does make me hesitate a bit before just buying them.
:confused:

Next week I am meeting a friend of mine, one of the technical designers of the SB Acoustics drivers (from Danesian Audio), then I will have a talk about SB midrange drivers and hear if he has some insight in what to do (he will propably recommend a Satori :)).

Then I might get a demo of the new dome from SB:
SB Acoustics :: SATORI TW29BN
From what I have heard it is better than the Scan-Speak berylliums.

Hopefully I can get my hands on a set of 9,5" drivers as well:
SB Acoustics :: 9½" Satori WO24P-8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.