rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

Yes that would be nice to have indeed, and the "capture" functionality was supposed to achieve this among other things. But it is delayed for now...

Right now you can use another rephase instance to "draw" your target curve using minimum-phase EQs and filters, and then report it with opposite settings in your main rephase instance (+dB become -dB for EQs, and "normal" filters become "compensate" filters...), and shoot for a flat response curve...
Then of course you will need to remove these opposite target settings before generating the correction...
Cumbersome for sure, but it works.

What i am still missing in Rephase is the "Targetcurve", i think the Display of such curve makes it much easier to get a similar result of left and right. (i need this curve only for orientation , not to do things in automated mode).

Greets

Hi Skyunlimited,

Or, the other alternative is simply more advanced software.

Ultimate Equalizer has all these functions automated (so there is no manual targetcurve….. or manual phase…..).

Your “targetcurve” is simply inverted SPL of the measured driver between two nominated frequencies, and flat everywhere else. And the corresponding phase response is generated via Hilbert-Bode Transform. So, you have full complex transfer function of your “custom built filter” at your fingertip right away, with a press of a button.

Best Regards,
Bohdan

Hello, can I firstly say what great piece of software Rephase is! BUT, it seems to assume that you know all about things like windowing and taps etc. I am familiar with iir filters but fir is new to me. Is there a user guide to explain further how to use it?! It does seem simple to use and I have had some great results already but I do not really know what the different windowing settings do or mean or how many taps I should use etc..
Any help gratefully received!

Hi,

Differrent windowing is useful when the number of taps is limited.
FIR processing needs a lot power calculus (real time).

If there is a limitation (taps VS Fs),for a given cross-over,(especially low Fc)
choosing Hann/Hamming window is the more simple.
You can see the level of ripple and shape difference,when rePhase is processing the impulse (target VS result).

and "middle" for the centering (to get a linear phase up to the lowest frequency).

otherwise,with a PC as DSP,convolution engine can "eat" a lot of tap.
fast to check the level of ripple,it takes few seconds to obtain the result.

with 3000 taps,44.1KHz,HP 100Hz (96dB/oct is for example)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and the same with 6000 taps
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Pano,

Think have same behavour here, since v1.00 every now and then when start Rephase there comes a command prompt window telling something ala to hit a key which close the command prompt window. Then if start Rephase once more it run normal for a while again, but at some future time the command prompt window message will show up again, seems little weird but else a fantastic tool : )

Hello, can I firstly say what great piece of software Rephase is! BUT, it seems to assume that you know all about things like windowing and taps etc. I am familiar with iir filters but fir is new to me. Is there a user guide to explain further how to use it?! It does seem simple to use and I have had some great results already but I do not really know what the different windowing settings do or mean or how many taps I should use etc..
Any help gratefully received!

Yes the documentation is lacking to say the least.
I plan to come with some minimal documentation (interface description and explanation, and a FAQ...) but these things take time and are not fun to do :bored: :snail:

Regarding windowing choices (centering, length and shape) you will at least be able to play with the settings and see the effect on the result curves and how close they do fit the target ones.
In practice you will want to use as much taps as your hardware can provide. Of course more taps (usually) means more delay, so that will also have to be taken into account depending on the application (live application? video sync? music playback?). rePhase will show you the resulting delay after generating the impulse.
If you are using a PC (almost limitless taps, and the possibility to sync video with delayed audio...) a good practical value would be 65k taps (enough for almost any reasonable correction, even at 192kHz), middle centering (avoid delay differences between channels if you don't know how to handle them) and probably something like a hann or backman window...

If you share you use case then we might be able to help with more accurate advice.

Hi,

:eek: It's funny with the Albrecht xx-terms.
Depends of slope,we need to "jump" on the tab "stop generate" and we can get some good matching (shape/ripple level)...

It's like a game,to be faster than iteration.

Hi Thierry

Optimization will tend to rise the ripple floor will matching the target better and better.
To avoid this phenomenon you can lower the optimization floor down to what you want the ripples to end up (eg -120dB).

Am I doing something wrong, or does rePhase go thru an install every time it opens? I can never find the installed file, if there is one.

Thanks.

Hi Pano

rePhase does install its files in a temp directory.
It is a lazy installation, and every time you run it it will go through the installation process (and show the "installation" label in the task bar) but stop it quickly if it finds its installed files in the temp directory.
So the first run of any given rePhase version will be slower as all files will be extracted to that temp directory, subsequent runs being much faster...

I don't like software that you have to explicitly install and I much prefer stand alone self-contained executables, so that was the strategy I used...

Reactions: 1 user
It put an installed file on my computer... ? (was some months ago)

I don't get the complication with using this. I used it for phase EQ and some magnitude EQ, it was nothing more than moving some sliders around for different frequencies. I don't see how it could have been any easier(?)

I am not sure I get what you mean. Are you having problems with the installation process?

Pano,

Think have same behavour here, since v1.00 every now and then when start Rephase there comes a command prompt window telling something ala to hit a key which close the command prompt window. Then if start Rephase once more it run normal for a while again, but at some future time the command prompt window message will show up again, seems little weird but else a fantastic tool : )

Normally this message should only show in case of installation failure.
For example if you stop rePhase during the first installation process (it can indeed be long and it cxan be tempting to cancel it) and it only extracted parts of the needed files. In this case the next run will fail because neede files are missing, and the message will show requesting for a new "fresh" run and installation. But then if you let it install completely the problem should be solved for subsequent runs...

What OS are you using? Are you clearing your temp files or something?

Normally this message should only show in case of installation failure.
For example if you stop rePhase during the first installation process (it can indeed be long and it cxan be tempting to cancel it) and it only extracted parts of the needed files. In this case the next run will fail because neede files are missing, and the message will show requesting for a new "fresh" run and installation. But then if you let it install completely the problem should be solved for subsequent runs...

What OS are you using? Are you clearing your temp files or something?

Thanks posting details also the one shown here below to Pano, these together explains a lot. In the long run find it not to be a problem because computer have good performance so the new install wait time is not very long time.

Win7 is OS and yes sometimes run disk utility clean up tool and "SFC" command as maintenance, especially last half year when MS push for Win10 upgrade and in silence push KB2952664/KB3035583 updates into system several times even i had those updates policy set as "hide update" : (

Hi Pano

rePhase does install its files in a temp directory.
It is a lazy installation, and every time you run it it will go through the installation process (and show the "installation" label in the task bar) but stop it quickly if it finds its installed files in the temp directory.
So the first run of any given rePhase version will be slower as all files will be extracted to that temp directory, subsequent runs being much faster...

I don't like software that you have to explicitly install and I much prefer stand alone self-contained executables, so that was the strategy I used...

Last edited:
Hi,

I am working on putting together an active DSP crossover for a 4W loudspeaker.
Drivers have different sensitivities and i need to be able to do level adjustments on individual channels.

From what i understand this is best done in the analog channels after the DAC using a digitally controlled analog volume control IC for example.

Unfortunately i just realized that the 8-CH ES9018 based dac i have ordered for my application doesn't provide this functionality.

Can bit perfect level adjustments be achieved on the digital channels without affecting sound quality? Please advice.