Repairing 3 way speakers (Looking for some help)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rusbelio, a very nice repair! :cool:

14253zp.jpg

I expect you have ideas to push it further now, like cabinet wadding, more tweaks like resistors and higher order crossovers, but a very good start. I quite like cheapish drivers. They sound lively. :)

I wanted to add something about your rebuild, Rusbelio. You are pretty much in Acoustic Research AR-3A territory here. Only thing you need that is different is a little box enclosure for the cone midrange unit. :D

A classic speaker if ever there was one. At one time AR sold 60% of the speakers bought in America. I liked their classic designs a LOT. Incredibly involving sound. :cool:

Read up about it here:
Restoring the AR-3a | The Classic Speaker Pages

Attachments

• Acoustic_Research_AR-3A.JPG
    Acoustic_Research_AR-3A.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Restoring_the_AR-3A.PNG
    Restoring_the_AR-3A.PNG
    85.4 KB · Views: 87
Thank you for comment :)

The reason why I decided to repair this speakers was to a nice memory that i had of them when my parents used to listen to music (Vinyl and Cassettes) using an Hi-Fi System named AMSTRAD (I dont know about this vintage systems). I was shocked listening it when i was little because they had similar sound as now.

The boxes where i replaced the 3 way system by this new three way system came from a local shop in my town (My father bought the two speakers 25-30 years ago aproximately but the 3 way system got broken caused by humidity of the place where they were stored).

I didnt think they would have very good sound :) but this have one reason:

"You may have done that the speakers sound as good" Thanks for all :)

Thanks for this nice info sustem7 :)

I'm in trouble

What do you prefer? bass reflex loudspeakers or sealed box loudspeakers?

I dont know if I'll be wrong, Will I get better bass if i change from sealed box, to bass reflex box?

Listening in front of the loudspeaker i dont listen a strong bass. Instead if i listen on the side of the loudspeaker, i listen a strong bass. Is this normal?

Hello Rusbelio,

I believe you are experiencing the effects of the room and it's impact on bass response. Bass response will vary greatly through different parts of a room regardless of whether the speakers are vented or sealed or some other alignment.

The woofer in your particular application, and in this box size, is very likely NOT well suited to a vented box. Venting the box would likely produce "more" bass through some of the bass ranges, however, would also likely introduce added distortion of various types. I don't suggest it.

Regards,
Eric

Hello Rusbelio,

I believe you are experiencing the effects of the room and it's impact on bass response. Bass response will vary greatly through different parts of a room regardless of whether the speakers are vented or sealed or some other alignment.

The woofer in your particular application, and in this box size, is very likely NOT well suited to a vented box. Venting the box would likely produce "more" bass through some of the bass ranges, however, would also likely introduce added distortion of various types. I don't suggest it.

Regards,
Eric

It's OK

I will not change this type of loudspeakers :)

In differents places in the room, the bass is extremely good, i like it :D

Thanks Eirc ;)

Don't let you put you down !! :)
Wattage in speakers is quite meaningless . It's just a gross estimation of the various parts
that compose a loudspeaker , in particular the power might be determined by the diameter of the wire in the voice coil , and the magnet surrounding it ; then , it can be added the heat dissipated by the voice coil , so it's a matter of design ,mechanical...and thermical .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.