Repairing 3 way speakers (Looking for some help)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a diagram of what I was suggesting plus a couple extras that might be worth tinkering with...

Attachments

• Selection_020.png
    Selection_020.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 147
Why did you put negative mid wire to positive woofer and tweeter wire?
Physical laws. A capacitor makes phase difference +90° And inductor too -90°... The result is 180° difference, then to keep a good summation, you must invert the mid.

What parameters about coil? DC Resistance Max? 8ohm or no matter?
DC resistance for the coil near or below 0.3 ohms
The crossovers are done for 8 ohms drivers and you have 8ohms drivers ? no ?

Thanks for the diagram
You welcome ! ;)

Note : in the second schematic you can adjust the midrange level by R2. You can increase the value (3.3 to 4.7) if you have too much mid. The crossover frequencies are 1kHz and 4kHz The overall sensitivity of the speaker is 90dB. It was my first tweak of a speaker using measurements.

Last edited:
Physical laws. A capacitor makes phase difference +90° And inductor too -90°... The result is 180° difference, then to keep a good summation, you must invert the mid.

DC resistance for the coil near or below 0.3 ohms
The crossovers are done for 8 ohms drivers and you have 8ohms drivers ? no ?

You welcome ! ;)

Note : in the second schematic you can adjust the midrange level by R2. You can increase the value (3.3 to 4.7) if you have too much mid. The crossover frequencies are 1kHz and 4kHz The overall sensitivity of the speaker is 90dB. It was my first tweak of a speaker using measurements.

Its ok :)

Yes, 8 ohm all speakers.

Here's a diagram of what I was suggesting plus a couple extras that might be worth tinkering with...

Thanks mdocod :)

But it's a bit difficult (according to the amount of components)

note 2: in your schematic, the first, to adjust the level of the mid put a simple resistor in series with L2 C2, R2 to 2.2 to 4.7 ohms.

Firs schematic in my first message of this thread?

Thanks

Its ok. Thanks :)

Another question, i have an amplifier with 4 to 8 ohm speaker conection (Right + left). If you calculate one 3 speaker system impedance in parallel, you get aproximately 2 ohm (according to the real impedance). Good for amplifier? Are you overcharging it? Right channel with 2 ohm and Left channel with 2 ohm too, according to measurements in parallel (1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 2 ohm each speaker (All the box with 3 way system))

Its a simply amplifier (Kinter MA-180, very cheap amplifier and a very bad way to this speakers :()

I was looking some amplifiers like this

http://www.ebay.es/itm/290534649380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.es/itm/SMSL-SA-50-5...ltDomain_0&hash=item19c9fc180c#ht_14253wt_962

Thanks.

Last edited:
re:'you get aproximately 2 ohm ' - no, the crossover separates the impedance across its various freq bands, so it remains at (approx) 8 ohms

re:'you must invert the mid' - I disagree, here the components are for 1st order slopes at different crossover points, so no inversion.

re:'you must invert the mid' - I disagree, here the components are for 1st order slopes at different crossover points, so no inversion.

Sorry you could be disagree but you are wrong...

Example
PRELUDE
Greencones
When we use 1st order filters we usually have to invert driver polarity and this is how it looks when
we connect bass and tweeter with positive polarity and mid with inverted polarity:

Jerome,
Have another look at the ‘Prelude’ crossover. It is essentially a first order crossover on the mids, with quasi 2nd order on the woofer & tweeter. Normally one would invert the polarity of the woofer & tweeter; here, Troels has chosen to connect these in phase & invert the mid – same result.

Re: the ‘Greencones’, Troels himself says ‘Polarity of tweeter is dubious’

If it's any help, I found some measurements for the tweeter

Projekt Forenbox-Billich-Willich - Seite 26 - DIY-HIFI-Forum (Half way down the page)

Its in German so you might need google translate

And for the midrange all I could find was this

Fs ......................300 Hz
Re.......................7.2 ohms
SPL......................97 db

www.loudspeakers.ca/Qmedia/Qcat66.pdf (2.8mb pdf page 15)

Thanks for the info :)

Pete no ;) we don't read the same things :D
Look at the graph of inversion of the polarity of the mid to positive on the prelude, sure it doesn't sound good ;)
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PRELUDE_files/PRELUDE_T-invert_B.jpg

Finally i invert mid truth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.