Removing Plastic covers from Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
First you said to me that saying "believing the claim to be invalid" is not dismissing, then to MrFeedback: "invalid seems to be quite a dismissal wouldn't you say?"

I was feeding him some of his own reasoning. Hence the "wouldn't you say?" at the end. Sorry if it was too subtle.

But while I have you here, I've a question.

Why do you care whether or not your subjective perceptions are due to any actual audible differences? What's it matter? I mean, your subjective perceptions would be the same in either case. If it turned out that the differences were due to nothing more than psychology, would you run out and buy a Bose Acoustic Wave system or something? Or would you keep doing the same things you're doing now?

I'm just trying to figure out why it's so important to some people that there necessarily has to be actual audible difference.

se

Steve Eddy said:

Why do you care whether or not your subjective perceptions are due to any actual audible differences? What's it matter? I mean, your subjective perceptions would be the same in either case. If it turned out that the differences were due to nothing more than psychology, would you run out and buy a Bose Acoustic Wave system or something? Or would you keep doing the same things you're doing now?

I'm just trying to figure out why it's so important to some people that there necessarily has to be actual audible difference.

se

I'm gonna use your techniques:

What?
Which of my words gave you the idea that I care for audible differences, or maybe you've just completely misunderstood my argument. It's already clear that you've read more into it than is there.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm stuck in an episode of the Twilight Zone. Either that or the messaging software used here is putting strange subliminal messages into my posts that only certain others seem to be able to see.

Jokes aside, although I found it quite entertaining, if I continue posting in this thread I'm not only become Enlightened in this week, but I have a good chance to be a Zen Hedonist as well.;)

In some other forums, it's forbidden to talk about blind tests and similar (this topic). I can see why. The discussion leads nowhere, just waste of time

The discussion is based must about believes. I personally am rather satisfied with my hifi gear. I don't attach paper clips in the curtains. I don't take off all plastic covers. I don't paint components with weird paint and I don't do and other tweaks.

Still, everyone is entitled to have their own opinions and I don't like the idea to forbid this type of discussion.

peranders said:
In some other forums, it's forbidden to talk about blind tests and similar (this topic). I can see why. The discussion leads nowhere, just waste of time

The issue isn't really about blind tests. The issue is about claims of objective fact. Blind tests is merely incidental.

And I actually agree fundamentally with AA's policy of a DBT-Free Zone in the Cable Asylum. It keeps idiot shin-kickers like Mtrycrafts from badgering everyone who mentions anything other than 12 gauge zip cord from Home Depot.

The discussion is based must about believes. I personally am rather satisfied with my hifi gear. I don't attach paper clips in the curtains. I don't take off all plastic covers. I don't paint components with weird paint and I don't do and other tweaks.

Still, everyone is entitled to have their own opinions and I don't like the idea to forbid this type of discussion.

I haven't any problem with peoples' opinions. This isn't about opinions. It's about claims of objective fact. Claims of objective fact are not opinions. An opinion carries some amount of uncertainty. A claim of objective fact does not. The claim is either true or it's false. No maybes about it.

Do you see the difference here? Or am I still speaking Swahili?

se

dice45 said:
Steve Eddy,

to answer a direct Q: yes, to me you are talking Swahili. I wade the 2nd time thru this thread and still get lost what your point is.

Then I don't know what else to say.

I've stated it several times using the simplest of English and illustrated it using the simplest of logic.

There apparently is simply no desire here to understand it.

In a previous post to Peter, I asked that if there were any points of confusion, to just ask me specific questions and I'd do what I can to clarify myself.

However no questions have been forthcoming. I guess it's easier to jump to conclusions and make accusations than to make an honest effort to understand something.

Anyone is entitled to look at the world his way.

Apparently that entitlement only applies to those who look at the world the same way.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
plastic covers

Hello,
Now i understand why the subject wasn't discussed seriously by 90 % of the people because i think they are not really interested. I think i will visit some Japanese sites to find the relationship between mc transformers and the subject. I have a Japanese Ikeda transformer maybe THEY can help. Ed

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
plastic covers

Hello,
Once i did apply Superblack to some small signal capacitors in a preamp. When i touched these with a screwdriver i would here noises in my speakers The one untreated were quiet. This message has a relationship with the subject. Most of the others??? I will visit the site once in a week to find at least one sensible reaction. Now i think 10 replies, might be interesting and what do i get? Keep up the good work, Ed

Sound Colourations.

"Maybe even the color of the plastic has some influence? ... Dieter Ennemoser would say "

I find I prefer the Black and Gold ones.
Bernard, different plastics and other materials contain differing pigments, so expect these plastics to exhibit differing electrical characteristics according to the pigment.
I have done experimenting in the past and found wires with differing plastic insulations to cause subtley differing sounds.
White (titanium dioxide) gives a nicely damped sound IME.

Eric.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SKINNERS AND CANIBALS

Fellows,

I would be happy if the original cap skinning topic could be continued here where it belongs (i am curious and personally interested in the topic) and maybe we get some reports about actual experiments and how cap skinning and sonics are related and how dramatic or marginal the sonic impact of cap skinning is. Maybe even the color of the plastic has some influence? ... Dieter Ennemoser would say

First of all,
Dice you're absolutely right.This thread is going in all directions but was/is still one we learned from I think?
I do a "mea culpa" here too.

Split it nonetheless.
Ed Goewie who expressed his concern about the topic and understood this thread wasn't about mechanical damping all along is disappointed and frankly so am I.
It's all too easy to laugh away some unknown or unfamiliar topic.
As Jean-Paul Sartre said "L'enfer c'est les autres".
I won't push it that far,but feel the need for more open mindedness on all seemingly absurd topics.
I had much rather take the empirical approach and arrive at some
consensus then to have someone dismissing it at first hand.
As you may well understand the "cap skinning" exercise has far wider implications than one would assume at first glance.
In my mind it has got everything to do with the component/insulator interface but let's just leave that for the thread.
On behalf of the community I would certainly advise open mindedness here.
IMHO the difference is rather marginal but still worthwhile.

Bernhard,

Why do you think I could live whith my tubed headamp if I hadn't found some way to recapture the sonic detail?
The sonic truth lies in the details of execution.;) ;)

Rgds,

I split the thread so that both discussions can go on. New thread is "MC input topologies: transformers or active stages". The discussion diverged into that topic out my attempt to get the heat out of a fruitless S/O discussion.

I would be happy if the original cap skinning topic could be continued here where it belongs (i am curious and personally interested in the topic) and maybe we get some reports about actual experiments and how cap skinning and sonics are related and how dramatic or marginal the sonic impact of cap skinning is. Maybe even the color of the plastic has some influence? ... Dieter Ennemoser would say :nod:

Re: Rewind

peranders said:
OK, let us rewind the discussion to the beginning:

What results do you achieve with this removing cover thing? Can you give me some qlue what happens?

OK, I would really like to have some input in this thread. What are the facts? Which parts are concerned, what will be the result? More bass, softer treble, sharper treble, etc???? What improvements do you achieve? Some sort of description must be possible to give, not just "it sounds better"?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SKINNING

Per,

Can't be too hard to find out.
Worse case scenario being same sound as before?:rolleyes:
Give it a go,and report back.
Thought that was the idea originally?;)
Anyways,I think the point is we haven't established any sonic advantages as yet..we're still pretty much in the dark here.
Still I see quite a few fringe manufacturers adopted the "no plastics on condustors approach"

Cheers,:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.