Remote Control for the BPBP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my mind the SilentSwitcher should directly power the BPBP without the need for the Hypex (or other) on-board regulators.

Jan

Jan,
As I await the delivery of your Silent Switcher I am thinking about using it to power the BPBP. If I recall the BPBP runs on 12v. Since the Silent Switcher outputs 15v I don't understand your above statement. Do you think 15v will be OK for the circuit?

Hi,

With the GB #3 for the BPBP on the way i have ordered the Maya volume controller with the VolPcb and 4 input board.

I have trouble finding the connectors for J2/J4 and J12 and J13 at Mouser.

Can someone give an example for these parts at Mouser since i will be ordering all parts from them?

Also: suggestion for the correct encoder with a push function? According to Tibi it should be 24 imp per rotation and output 2 bit Gray code. I have found the Grayhill 62SG15-L5-RAC which according to Tibi would work but this one is quite pricey at €23,-

Thanks!

Last edited:
output 2 bit Gray code, not quadrature or incremental."
I don't know how encoders work.
What does this difference mean?

Gerben,
notice that your statement reads:
output 2 bit Gray code, ..... or incremental
The not tells us that the quadrature is different from the other two.

I think you meant to type:
output 2 bit Gray code, not quadrature, nor incremental." nor tells us that both quadrature and incremental are different from Gray code.

Last edited:
Left one is the original encoder and right one is the Bourns one. The snapshots of the pulse output diagrams look the same, so that's why I'm assuming this should work too.

Attachments

• encoders.png
    encoders.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 299
I don't know how encoders work.
What does this difference mean?

Gerben,
notice that your statement reads:
output 2 bit Gray code, ..... or incremental
The not tells us that the quadrature is different from the other two.

I think you meant to type:
output 2 bit Gray code, not quadrature, nor incremental." nor tells us that both quadrature and incremental are different from Gray code.

On a per-code basis, there is no difference between Grey coding and incremental coding. Incremental coding is 2-bit Gray coding which has been compressed and is repeated into a series of so called "clicks".

The main difference is that Gray coding covers the full 360° rotation, while incremental covers just one little portion of it and that sequence is repeated on and on.
Gray coding is perfect when you are interested to know where in the rotation you are at any one point in time giving a rotational indication for accurate positioning. This is what we want to implement in a future Maya firmware version. We want feedback from Maya to be sent to phone via bluetooth and accurately display several functions.

Incremental/quadrature coding indicate only which direction the shaft has moved and how far, not exactly where it is.

Hope this extra short explanation is OK.

Brgds,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
I have finally finished my build...

It's taken a long time. I now have a Bruno's Balanced Pre with Hans relay boards for volume, controlled with MAYA. Power is done with Jan's SilentSwitcer.

Listening results to come but I'm happy with visual and objective data. Objective measurements are a challenge actually - I do not have good enough equipment to measure this unit :) This will pair with the ICEpower 200ASC based poweramp.

Thank you to Bruno, Hans, Vicol and Jan for the various parts of this project! (Edit: ...and Xavier for original GB)

More images here (+some measurements results)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140323147@N06/albums/72157678682199610

Attachments

• 5 - front_assembly.jpg
    5 - front_assembly.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 378
  • 6 - assembled_1.jpg
    6 - assembled_1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 376
  • 7 - assembled_2.jpg
    7 - assembled_2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 8 - assembled_front.jpg
    8 - assembled_front.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
The 'small' is a bit relative here. The machine is a CNC Step High-Z 1000/T
https://www.cnc-step.de/en/cnc-machines/

Mine is 600x1000mm bed size but they have much smaller models also that would fit this type of front/back panel. It is a nice piece of German engineering and I've been very happy with the quality and precision.

Yes, the power goes in via USB socket, so I've been using a 5V powerbank for it. You see a link SilentSwitcher in bottom of jan.diddens message - that is the one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.