• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is what I measured, with a 75.3Ohm resistor.

Result is -213mVdc, so -2.8mA.

This is too high, but not sure it would be outside parameters. Also it doesnt change with the music. So it could be
1) something with the tda or the dac-setup
2) something with the spdif supply from doede douma's board. I have measured the i2s voltages. I measure

No SPDIF signal:
bck = 2.05 vdc
data = 0.1 vdc
fs = 2.24 vdc

SPDIF Signal applied:
bck = 2.05 vdc
data = 1.2-1.6 vdc varies
fs = 1.9 - 2.4 vdc varies

does that seem ok?

Your measurements looks normal.
I must repeat my question to the voltages at the TDA (+5V, -5V, -15V).
To get correct voltages you MUST set the output voltages of the shunts to +5,5V, -5,5V & -15,3V.

I encountered a strange problem in my power supply.

I am feeding my output stage (+/-19v) with a 2x21V 30VA toroid. The rest of the power circuit consists of olivers' capacitor banks (with 2x200K bleeder resistor), and 2 Salas shunts.

Now the strange this is this: When I tune the Salas shunts to +/- 19V, and then connect the output stage, the power collapses to 1V and the 2 leds on the salas board are not lit up. What does this mean? Any problem with the power rating of the toroid?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I encountered a strange problem in my power supply.

I am feeding my output stage (+/-19v) with a 2x21V 30VA toroid. The rest of the power circuit consists of olivers' capacitor banks (with 2x200K bleeder resistor), and 2 Salas shunts.

Now the strange this is this: When I tune the Salas shunts to +/- 19V, and then connect the output stage, the power collapses to 1V and the 2 leds on the salas board are not lit up. What does this mean? Any problem with the power rating of the toroid?

Salas recommend a Vin/Vout diff. of 10V or more.
How much voltage needs your output stage?

Input is 26.5v, output is 19v. I talked to salas and he said its ok.

Even more strange is that last week i turned, without load, the output to 15v. Then i connected the load, and turned to output to 19v. This worked!

I needed dismantle the rig for the weekend, and now i am stuck with the initial problem again...

In the meantime....

I am still working on solving the problem. I think the problem is in the DAC or the DAC-Board. Because:
a) I have built a quick srpp output stage... still no sound.
b) Also with a simple resistor to gnd, on my DMM (I have no scope), I see absolutely no voltage moving with the music. It is absolutely the same whether I have the cd-player on play or on pause.
c) I do see a difference in the I2S DATA signal between play and stop, so it seems a signal is coming into the dac board.

Any ideas?

Tried both:
1a) i have 4 tda chips. Tried another one, exactly the same results
1b) i have 2 dac boards, so I tried the other one, exactly the same results!
2) Put in the buffer you made...... still nothing!!

Driving me crazy...
Is there anyone else who uses Doede Douma's SPDIF board and got it working?

Hi Oliver,
I missed that there was an open day ae ae-europe! Actually, I have moved to Norway, and my DAC-under-construction is in Stavanger, now. Not very practical to move around those boards in my weekend-suitcase.:smash:

But I myself will be in Netherlands this weekend, so I may pop-in anyway for fun.:D

I had some contact with Doede Douma in the meantime, and he gave me some hints on what could be wrong with the spdif board. I will try these tonight and hope to get some sound.....

I will keep you posted.

I am still looking for the issue, but I have measured 0.31VDC at the DATA input of the TDA... As I do not have a scope, I dont know how much is high and low, but according to datasheet of the TDA this seems to be too low.

Oliver, how is/was the your demo at the AE europe meet? I hope there was some good feedback...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am still looking for the issue, but I have measured 0.31VDC at the DATA input of the TDA... As I do not have a scope, I dont know how much is high and low, but according to datasheet of the TDA this seems to be too low.

Oliver, how is/was the your demo at the AE europe meet? I hope there was some good feedback...

Hi,

The open day at AE was great! Did you try to insert a buffer IC? I know that Doede use the CS8414 but who knows....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.